Personal Email from Harry Reid=Assault weapons ban

This is a discussion on Personal Email from Harry Reid=Assault weapons ban within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With the possibility of a new assault weapons ban on the horizon, I decided to write my Senators. Unfortunately, one of them is Senate Majority ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Email from Harry Reid=Assault weapons ban

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Personal Email from Harry Reid=Assault weapons ban

With the possibility of a new assault weapons ban on the horizon, I decided to write my Senators. Unfortunately, one of them is Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. I went through my reasons for believing that the ban is ridiculous. He sent me a rather surprising email, although we need to remember that he's a lying, two faced POS. Anyway, here's his response:

Dear Mr. Lees:

Thank you for contacting me regarding my position on the assault weapons ban. I appreciate hearing from you.

I voted against the assault weapons ban in 1993 and I voted against efforts to renew it in 2004. I will continue to oppose the assault weapons ban.

As a gun owner, I welcome the Supreme Court's recent decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which made clear that every law abiding citizen has an individual constitutional right to keep and bear arms. We must work to protect this right by enforcing laws that keep guns away from terrorists and criminals. The rights of responsible gun owners should not be compromised by individuals who use firearms to commit crimes. You can be certain that I will use my leadership position in the U.S. Senate to defend the Second Amendment and to protect the interests of Nevada's hunters and shooters.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. For more information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at Welcome | Senator Harry Reid. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID

United States Senator

Nevada

HR:cs

2. Remove Ads

I am surprised that he would send a letter claiming that he was not in favor of the "assault weapons" ban. As you wrote in your message, I don't believe anything Harry Reid says. He tends to tell people whatever his constituents want to hear. I doubt he could tell the truth if it were staring him in the face.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I have a hard time believing that. My wife says she should write one to him saying that she's scared of assault weapons and that they should be banned. I'd be curious to see the letter that came back. Unfortunately I can't let her write anything anti gun. She's actually looking forward to buying her first gun, but she's pregnant so she can't shoot just yet!

"HR:cs" means someone else typed it on behalf of Harry Reid.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Letter to Harry Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I have a hard time believing that. My wife says she should write one to him saying that she's scared of assault weapons and that they should be banned. I'd be curious to see the letter that came back. Unfortunately I can't let her write anything anti gun. She's actually looking forward to buying her first gun, but she's pregnant so she can't shoot just yet!
    She should do that. It would be curious to receive an email with with a reply stating that he "supports" the assault weapons ban. It wouldn't be totally unexpected under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Maybe you should take some time and explain to her that private citizens cannot buy an assault weapon. True assault weapons are either full auto or select fire. Automatic weapons can be purchased only if made before 1987, and the low supply pushes the average price to around $15000. Of course, additional background check and fees apply. The ban would be against guns that look bad. Their are quite a few hunting rifles far more powerful and dangerous than my AR15 or my AK47. Banning a gun because of the way that it looks doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe it's those evil flash suppressors or pistol grips that are so dangerous, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    "HR:cs" means someone else typed it on behalf of Harry Reid.
    I doubt Harry types anything himself. He dictates, someone else types. That doesn't mean that the letter wasn't from him.

I don't like this guy one bit. BUT...if his voting record is actually that he votes against it, I think that says something at the very least. I don't know what his true intentions are this time around, but if he voted against it before that's at least a start

P.S. I looked up the voting record for the 2004 vote for 10 year extension, and sure enough he voted nay. U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Reid's voting record would agree that we don't have to fear anything from him as far as an AWB is concerned; but I'm sure that with enough pressure from Pelosi, Feinstein, and company, he might be forced into another direction.

I don't trust the man. Reid is anyone's dog that'll hunt.

Reid's record on guns is actually pretty decent. Whatever one's opinion on his--and other Democrats'--positions on other issues, lumping all Democrats together under the lable "gun-haters" is no less stupid and irrational than lumping all gun owners together under the label "right-wing gun nuts".

This is the biggest problem that I have had, for example, with the NRA over the last couple of decades--it has turned into a right-wing, Democrat-bashing organization that no longer is focused clearly on gun rights. I know many Democrats, some who are as liberal/left-oriented as you can get short of Karl Marx himself, who are ardent supporters of the RKBA.

Admittedly, the Democratic party taken on whole does not have a good record at all on the issue of gun rights. But just like the Republican party does not consist 100% (or even maybe a majority) of homophobes, neither does the Democratic party consist 100% of gun-haters.

If we who treasure our RKBA want to prevail on maintaining and strengthening that right, we need to whole-heartedly welcome everyone who supports the right, regardless of their political party or position on other issues.

I agree with not dumping all democrats onto the anti-gun stance.
    My cousins and uncles all from down south are very conservative and life long democrats. They are pro gun also.

So you just never know.

My honest opinion is that is a form letter.

I am sure he has received other letters from gun
    owners too. It saves time to send out this. He
    probably has another form letter for the antis
    too..lol

Politicians

man, I can smell the B.S. all the way to Texas! lol
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Reid's voting record would agree that we don't have to fear anything from him as far as an AWB is concerned; but I'm sure that with enough pressure from Pelosi, Feinstein, and company, he might be forced into another direction.
    After Holder put his foot in his mouth without consulting Sultan Obama Pelosi came back and denied that the AWB was on the party's agenda. Of course she probably meant "for the time being".

Get a neighbor to email Reid and rail heavily against "ASSULT WEAPONS" and post both responses in the local papers, if they would! You know they have 'freedom of the press'. Free to print what they want/or not.

Wonder how the NRA rates Reid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links