Isopropyl alcohol - Page 2

Isopropyl alcohol

This is a discussion on Isopropyl alcohol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I worked as an aircraft mechanic, we used Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning about everything. Made a great degreaser, so we could leave the MEK ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isopropyl alcohol

When I worked as an aircraft mechanic, we used Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning about everything. Made a great degreaser, so we could leave the MEK alone.
    We would get it in 5 gallon cans.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

It's a great cleaner for just about anything.

We use it at work to get water out of switches and many other electrical components.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    great for removing skin oils from freshly turned brake rotors
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Used in boat building and repair, and many applications where degreasing is required.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I use up the 32 oz containers from WW in a couple months' time. I'm a bit of a germophobe and use it to clean various things, mostly my computer mouse and keyboard... I hate feeling the nasty crusty stuff that gets left behind after you've used the mouse for too long without cleaning it.

It's also good for cuts and for if you run out of after shave or had a particularly poor shaving session.

It is a good solvent. I use it (in quart cans) for cleaning the lane oil from my bowling balls.. I usually mix it, or sometimes methanol, 50/50 with Acetone. But 5 gallons is a bit much for a bowler to carry around.

That's true. It also works great at removing waxy, oily, and greasy residues. I had to use it on my shower head arm the other day after hitting it with some WD40 and a hammer to break the nut loose so I could remove the showerhead. Without it, the adjustable wrench would have never gotten a good grip due to the wd 40 still on there. The rubbing alcohol made short work of that.

Lacquer thinner, electrical component cleaner, surface sterilizer, alcohol burner fuel, are just a few of the things I have used it for...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    When I worked as an aircraft mechanic, we used Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning about everything. Made a great degreaser, so we could leave the MEK alone.
    We would get it in 5 gallon cans.
    We had to use MEK or MPK for sealed surfaces, and Naptha to clean treated skins. Anything else left residue.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    While I don't need that large a quantity at present, I do store supplies for emergencies. I may decide to get such a quantity for antiseptic purposes. Since I'm a PA, and former paramedic, I will probably have need for it in an emergency.

And here I had always thought of it as an alternative to hydrogen peroxide or iodine.

It's wonderful stuff, certainly.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links