County administrator may lose job over gun accusations

This is a discussion on County administrator may lose job over gun accusations within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; County administrator may lose job over gun accusations - Bay News 9 County administrator may lose job over gun accusations Friday, March 13, 2009 Post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County administrator may lose job over gun accusations

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

County administrator may lose job over gun accusations - Bay News 9

Friday, March 13, 2009
    Post a comment | E-mail this story | Print

CITRUS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Citrus County's administrator may be fired after allegedly bringing a handgun to a homeowner's association meeting.

Members of The Landings Home Owners Association say Anthony Schembri attended the Thursday morning meeting with a handgun holstered to his side.

Michael Lester, who hosted the meeting, said he asked Schembri several times to take the gun to his car.

"I politely asked him three times to remove the handgun and take it to his car," Lester said. "He refused to do so. To me, that was intimidation."

Lester says he wasn't comfortable with a firearm at a meeting that was going to be contentious.

Schembri is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, but Lester says the gun was out in the open.

"I could see full well the gun," Lester said.

Lester and Association treasurer Kathleen Burrows both filed a complaint with the Citrus County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office is investigating. Schembri could be charged with a second degree misdemeanor for carrying his weapon in plain sight.

County Commissioners will hold a special meeting Monday afternoon to discuss Schembri's employment. County Commission Chairman John Thrumston says Schembri indicated he will resign before Monday's meeting.

Schembri refused to comment for this story.

The popular 90s television show, "The Commish", was based on Schembri's life.

Followup: He resigned pending payment of full $64 K in severance.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If he had a concealed permit then why was he carrying open? Sounds like he may have been trying to make a statement, should have stayed concealed. Weather he was legal or not to open carry sometimes you have to choose your battles.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd like to hear more to the story before saying anything but I don't care ,common sense tells me you don't go to public meetings carrying
    open or concealed period.If you slip or do what this guy did it's going to be viewed as an act of intimidation either way.

I take it open carry is not legal there?

Seems odd. I'm interesting in hearing about how this resolves.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I'd like to hear more to the story before saying anything but I don't care ,common sense tells me you don't go to public meetings carrying
    open or concealed period.If you slip or do what this guy did it's going to be viewed as an act of intimidation either way.
    What, the RKBA and the 2A/14A magically lose force when one enters into a public meeting? I'm sure that concept would have shocked the eyebrows off of most of the Founding Fathers.

No open carry in FL.
    This guy sounds like an idiot.
    I'll bet he loses his job.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    What, the RKBA and the 2A/14A magically lose force when one enters into a public meeting? I'm sure that concept would have shocked the eyebrows off of most of the Founding Fathers.
    We change the laws, we don't break them. The idiot got arrested for openly carry in a state that does not allow OC.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I feel that at a "contentious" meeting is exactly where I want to have the ability to defend myself. Why I wouldn't carry there is beyond me but if you want to go unarmed go right ahead. Why do you carry concealed? I know I do it for defense, not for intimidation. So there is no reason to NOT carry at an HOA meeting - at least not for me. I haven't slipped any other day so an HOA meeting wouldn't be any different.

Why is this thread posted in Off Topic?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Many associations rent space at schools and hire an off duty police officer to make sure no guns are present. Needless to say I don't go to my association meetings.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    We change the laws, we don't break them. The idiot got arrested for openly carry in a state that does not allow OC.
    That's not the point Stetson was making and not what xdefender was replying to. Neither said anything about breaking laws, they are talking about the reason for carrying to a public meeting.

If only he just kept it concealed. Wonder what in the world went through his mind to make him think he could open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    If only he just kept it concealed. Wonder what in the world went through his mind to make him think he could open carry.
    Arrogance and stupidity...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

No open carry in public in Florida. Appears he'll be losing his CHL.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

And he stood there and argued the point of his illegality. What a moron!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    And he stood there and argued the point of his illegality. What a moron!
    Why would that surprise you???? He works for the Gov't. some think they write laws, not follow laws.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links