1776 by David McCullough

This is a discussion on 1776 by David McCullough within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finished 1776 , and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it only covered one year in the Revolutionary War, it gave me insight into the ...

Thread: 1776 by David McCullough

Question 1776 by David McCullough

I just finished 1776, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it only covered one year in the Revolutionary War, it gave me insight into the period, the politics, and the sacrifices made by the Patriots. What tremendous men and women these were!

There was a comment that made me smile, when a group of Tennessee or Kentucky men joined the Barricade of Boston, their rifled long arms accuracy astounded the NE folks. Alright!

Great book! Highly recommended!

I've started McCullough's book Truman now, but after it I want to revisit the Revolutionary War. I'd like something that covers the entire war, and more than one volume would be fine if well written and accurate. No fiction.

Anybody have a recommendation? Thanks?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

rise to rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I've started McCullough's book Truman now, but after it I want to revisit the Revolutionary War. I'd like something that covers the entire war, and more than one volume would be fine if well written and accurate. No fiction.

Anybody have a recommendation? Thanks?
    Rock and Glock

You might want to check out these two historical novels by Jeff Shaara.

Amazon.com: Rise to Rebellion: A Novel of the American Revolution: Jeff Shaara: Books

Amazon.com: The Glorious Cause: Jeff Shaara: Books

I have read this series and also his civil war series.

In my opinion he is a very good author.
    "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."
    Robert Heinlein

I _HIGHLY_ recommend 'Paul Revere's Ride' by David Hackett Fischer.

It really only covers the first days of the revolution, but does so with great accuracy and dramatic effect. Liberty and Freedom by the same author is wonderful as well.

Come to an Appleseed, you'll hear stories about the first day of the revolution that will have you yelling 'Huzzah', shedding a tear, and re-evaluating your standard of patriotism. Yeah, these guys are good.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    +1
    Good book indeed. I also found it instructive and a great eye opener.

If you liked that book, I would recommend Amazon.com: April 1865: The Month That Saved America: Jay Winik: Books about the last month of the Civil War. You get to figure out how really close we came to not be a country anymore.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    I secong Jeff Shaara's books, great reading.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

EW3
    Great book; I read that several years back.

The book just makes you realize what an absolute miracle the United States of America is. We came sooooooo close to not making it many many times during those years. IMO, there truly was a "Divine Providence" that was with these Founders and helped them to pull through when all looked lost and go on to establish this great Republic.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There was a comment that made me smile, when a group of Tennessee or Kentucky men joined the Barricade of Boston, their rifled long arms accuracy astounded the NE folks. Alright!
    That quote is both scary and sad. During the early part of the war there were Rifle Companies raised (1775) and sent to Boston. I'd have to check my failing memory, but I believe there were 5, 3 from Virginia, and one each from Maryland and Pennsylvania. But of course neither Tennessee or Kentucky existed at the time...... (Captain Cresap's Company was first to arrive making a march from Old Town, MD to Boston in just 22 days.)

If you want a great read see if you can get an inter-library loan of a Book called The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell, it's a first person account of travels around the Colonies 1774-1777. Also more available (and in paperback) is Private Yankee Doodle by Joseph P. Martin, he served in the American Army from 1776-1783. Both of these books were written by people ACTUALLY there, not 20th (21st) century historians.

A copy of 1776 is sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read, but there is still a few books ahead of it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

That quote is both scary and sad
    Didn't mean to scare or sadden you. I mistaken implied from the "States". Of course they weren't even formed yet, but it was early in the book, and I thought they were from the western fringes of the Original 13 Colonies (I remember thinking "western rifleman" as a generalization). I'll look it up, but I'll believe you on Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Edited to Add: You are exactly correct - Virginia, MD and PA. The rifled long arms were generally from PA, but carried by those noted, to the astonishment of the NE folks, the rifles had an accurate range out to 250 yards, unlike their smooth bores maybe good to 100 yards. That is the comment that made me smile. Sorry the "backstory I used" to fill in the gaps was factually incorrect and disturbing. Your memory is better than mine, LOL.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Links