So, where should I move? AKA "Leaving Las Vegas wasn't just a movie!"

This is a discussion on So, where should I move? AKA "Leaving Las Vegas wasn't just a movie!" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I kmow where my ex would me to go, but while I like warm weather, I don't like it quite THAT warm! Anyway, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, where should I move? AKA "Leaving Las Vegas wasn't just a movie!"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Well, I kmow where my ex would me to go, but while I like warm weather, I don't like it quite THAT warm! Anyway, the job search hasn't turned up much. It seems that the few PA jobs here are for ortho PAs, or other surgical specialties. It's been over 21 years since I was in an OR as anything other than a patient, and I'm going to keep it that way. For starters, I'd have to be completely retrained, and more importantly, my arthritis would never let me stand at an operating table longer than about 20 minutes. I'm seeing Urgent Care jobs (my preferred field, though I will do Family practice. I may consider a few fields new to me, if training were provided, and it at least interested me). But anything that I find at all attractive, and in my areas of expertise, are all out of state. So, my question is, assuming there's an appropriate job available, where should I look? While I may consider California, I prefer other states, [preferably one with better CCW laws. Unfortunately, California does have counties where CCWs are possible, but it would limit my ability to find a job. There's an Urgent Care job in Monterey, but the CCW prospect is bleak. If I were to go back to California, it would be nice if I could eventually get my old job back in Palo Alto, but they don't have a need right now. So, where are good places to look?

You wouldn't care for the heat here in Phoenix either, but have you checked the price of living in Monterey???
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You wouldn't care for the heat here in Phoenix either, but have you checked the price of living in Monterey???

While the heat in Phoenix is a little higher than here in Vegas, I was referring to the heat where my ex would tell me to go, as in "hell"! Guess I got a little too "cute".

Don't know you're lifestyle, but look into Utah. We have a lot of top notch medical facilities, I think. We are more conservative than a lot of states (I'm found of that fact) but still have a decent night life. Not to mention the greatest powder in the world, If you're a skier. I love it here... of course it's my home, and couldn't think about living in Vegas, way to many people, and way to many transient residents.

Good luck in you're search.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    There are a fair amount of medical jobs here in Houston. Good CCW laws, no state tax, plenty of warm weather, etc...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    There are a fair amount of medical jobs here in Houston. Good CCW laws, no state tax, plenty of warm weather, etc...
    I don't know about Houston or Austin, but the rest of Texas is pretty great. Dallas has a lot of medical facilities, and as mentioned, no state taxes and a fairly painless CHL process with great use of force laws.

I would avoid Cali not just for the gun laws that you mention, but the cost of living, also.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Texas is about the only place in the country that has not been spanked by the economy. I think you would have a better chance at employment.

California? I think you would be NUTS to even consider going there......there state deficit is greater than most countries economies, besides I think the California Government is going to change the name to Mexiforia. California is also one of the most restrictive states in the union.............

even my dumbazz ex-wife (her official name is *stupid*) is moving out of California, although I have no clue how she thinks she is going to sell a 1500 sq ft 2.5 million dollar property in this economy (the house is probably going to sell for 1.5 mill ) you can buy the exact same house here in NY for $79K
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I'm seeing Urgent Care jobs (my preferred field, though I will do Family practice. I may consider a few fields new to me, if training were provided, and it at least interested me).

While I may consider California, I prefer other states, [preferably one with better CCW laws. Unfortunately, California does have counties where CCWs are possible, but it would limit my ability to find a job.
    There are several hospitals in Humboldt County, CA, if California appeals to you. Being ~300mi north of the San Francisco area, it's relatively separate from much of the crap that occurs in CA these days.

It's a rural county, though Arcata, Eureka and Fortuna are all large enough to support a few hospitals and many clinics. The county is extremely gun friendly, too, and acquiring a CHL is simple.

I don't know the situation with open positions in your field. Sorry.

But if it's a change in lifestyle you're looking for, with hospitals sufficiently large to support your career field in a place that's CHL friendly, Humboldt County might do it for you. Beautiful scenery and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. It's very much a DIY place, for making your own fun. Paddling on rivers, lakes, lagoons, or the ocean; hiking on the miles-long beaches; driftwood gathering; clamming and clam bakes; hiking in the forest; bicycling galore; fishing; camping; hunting; lots of community events of all sorts; farmer's markets on the town square (a real town square); mentoring with kids; volunteer fire department; ...

PM me, if you'd like more info.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

come to florida. we have beaches. its where america goes to die, lots of medical jobs here

Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

pretty neat site where you rate your interests and it gives you profiles of cities based on your criteria

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    come to florida. we have beaches. its where america goes to die, lots of medical jobs here
    Yeah, but there are those big, twisting "sucky" things called tornadoes, plus the hurricanes (a la Andrew), gators ... Give me volcanoes and earthquakes anytime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

According the iNet on the best places to live...I look every once in a while...the Ozarks (Nothern Arkansas and Southern Missouri) have a lot to offer...low crime and more employment than in most other parts of the U.S.

CA? You like fruits and nuts?

Stay armed...(you won't be able to in CA)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post

Not to mention the 3 million 95 year olds driving there El Dorado's at 75 miles per hour and they can't see the hood ornament, let alone
    another car/motorcycle on the road

and I hear they are going to change the name of "Miami" to Little Havana~~~~just kidding

Whats that old joke? I want to die peaceably in my sleep like Grampa, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car

ya sorry, I couldn't help myself
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

What interests do you have other than warm weather?

Personally, if given the choice, I would not move to any place that isn't "shall issue". I've heard too many stories from "may issue" states that really should be called "no chance in hell issue" states. Even if the current sheriff (or deciding authority) is pro-CCW, that is no guarantee the next one will be.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    According the iNet on the best places to live...I look every once in a while...the Ozarks (Nothern Arkansas and Southern Missouri) have a lot to offer...low crime and more employment than in most other parts of the U.S.
    The Ozarks are beautiful. Employment may be slightly higher than the national average, but jobs typically don't pay a lot. But along with that comes a low cost of living. Certain medical jobs do allow one to live at a level above the average.

I can't speak for the eastern states, but if I had to move, I would certainly include parts of Texas in my search... nothing close to the Mexican border, though.

It's the second day of Spring here and I'm still cold. Some of those other southwestern states sure are looking appealing to me today. But I would certainly place gun rights high on my list of priorities. I would want to be surrounded by voters who staunchly support the right to self defense. States that have wishy-washy self-defense laws could turn anti with only a slight shift in population and state government.

Weather, good gun laws, and job options.

VIP Member

Go where the population will go

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Well, I kmow where my ex would me to go, but while I like warm weather, I don't like it quite THAT warm! Anyway, the job search hasn't turned up much. It seems that the few PA jobs here are for ortho PAs, or other surgical specialties. It's been over 21 years since I was in an OR as anything other than a patient, and I'm going to keep it that way. For starters, I'd have to be completely retrained, and more importantly, my arthritis would never let me stand at an operating table longer than about 20 minutes. I'm seeing Urgent Care jobs (my preferred field, though I will do Family practice. I may consider a few fields new to me, if training were provided, and it at least interested me). But anything that I find at all attractive, and in my areas of expertise, are all out of state. So, my question is, assuming there's an appropriate job available, where should I look? While I may consider California, I prefer other states, [preferably one with better CCW laws. Unfortunately, California does have counties where CCWs are possible, but it would limit my ability to find a job. There's an Urgent Care job in Monterey, but the CCW prospect is bleak. If I were to go back to California, it would be nice if I could eventually get my old job back in Palo Alto, but they don't have a need right now. So, where are good places to look?
    While Texas weather competes with H for temperature, I read something this morning which projected a doubling of the population here over the next 2 decades. So, perhaps look for a PA job here. There are half a dozen large urban areas with many hospitals and physicians. Someone surely needs a helper.

I know of an orthopedic clinic that uses PA(s) and a urology clinic that also uses a PA, and I know of an internal medicine clinic where a PA practices.

That said, I have also heard that the recession has hit at least one hospital really hard to the point where they must look for a merger with a larger one.

Were I to choose a place where I think the climate is reasonable, the outdoor recreation excellent, and cc options above par, I'd be thinking of Northern Arkansas and Southern MO. Housing prices aren't insane, which is also a plus.

If you like the dry desert climate, think El Paso, but that is very isolated, as are a few other west Texas venues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links