Photos from Chernobyl - pretty awesome/sombering

This is a discussion on Photos from Chernobyl - pretty awesome/sombering within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Check this out, its worth it. GRcade.com • View topic - BLH's tour of Chernobyl. Hello Digg/Reddit/world!! It's pretty weird and unbelievable all at the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos from Chernobyl - pretty awesome/sombering

Check this out, its worth it.

GRcade.com • View topic - BLH's tour of Chernobyl. Hello Digg/Reddit/world!!

It's pretty weird and unbelievable all at the same time. Time really did stop that day, and its pretty unreal seeing everything more or less still in place from decades ago, when the world was quite a different (Soviet) place. It really hits home how many ordinary people died that day... bet they never thought that when they woke up.

The part that was the most intense for me were the pictures from inside the school. Really makes it real, if the pictures before hadn't. Hopefully such a disaster never happens again on this planet.

Man..... All I can say is Wow!

Unbelieveable...
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Wow. That is incredibly sobering. The old cliche about pictures being worth a thousand words... seems inadequate.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Pretty darn neat if you ask me. Just a part of history.
    God Bless America!!

That was VERY neat to see, nature reclaims everything if you give it enough time. Thanks for sharing.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

VIP Member
    Although I truly believe that nuclear power is quite remarkably safe, and I wish the USA had built a great deal more nuclear generating capacity in the past, instead of killing the industry off, this shows what one bad accident can do.

For this reason I'm a big fan of wind-turbine electric generation. I buy 50% of my power from wind sources at a premium of about 3.5 cents per kilowatt.
    This amount to about an extra 9 dollars a month during the 6 months of the year when it is cooler here; and will be about 20 dollars a month extra during the 6 months when we use air conditioning.

That is a lot of extra money, but if some of us don't step up and buy the stuff even at a premium, there will never be enough development to bring the price in line with natural gas generated power.

Were there sufficient wind generation capacity that the price could fall below gas generated power, at least some folks would be able to consider heating with heat pumps or even resistance heating. That would --could--with time and development free up a great deal of fossil fuel for transportation purposes.

Hard to fathom what it was like to be there that day.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I wish the Soviets would actually admit how many people died that day, the weeks following, and the subsequent years after that. It's well into the 10's of thousands.

I guess it has been too many years to gather that kind of data, but it was the worst nuclear disaster in human history...hopefully, it will stay that way.

I ran nuclear reactors for the Navy and Chernobyl is one of the things we studied in nuke school...they made every mistake possible, and then didn't believe the indications that said they made the mistake.

I really do not believe it could happen again and I pray it doesn't.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    eerie...

Just amazing photography. Some of the photos were very eerie, very disquieting. The place must feel strange indeed. I'd read reports of the wildlife and ecosystem rehabilitation, yet these photos really brought it all home.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    My sister-in-law grew up in Kursk, Russia; about 200 mile due east of Chernobyl. Both she and her mother have health problems from time to time.

Administrator
    Actually nature and wildlife is flourishing in Chernobyl.
    It's a wonderful sight watching the 6 legged deer feeding on the wild berries until the three eyed wolves scare them away.

Kind of off topic, but has anyone ever played Call of Duty 4? When I looked at these pictures, it was crazy how well made the Chernobyl part was on CoD 4. They really did their research for that game.

Also, here's another site:
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

It's a woman who owns a bike and goes off into Chernobyl by herself. She's taken a lot of pictures. The website is made kind of crappily, but the pictures are good once you get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually nature and wildlife is flourishing in Chernobyl.
    It's a wonderful sight watching the 6 legged deer feeding on the wild berries until the three eyed wolves scare them away.
    A six legged deer has to be a LOT faster than the wolves.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

You will enjoy this as in learning more about what happened that day...

Sad Tragedy

YouTube - Chernobyl disaster incident PART 1
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links