National Geographic Channel: a *heads-Up*

This is a discussion on National Geographic Channel: a *heads-Up* within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight at 10:00pm has a story about Guns in America, this should be of interest to everyone here....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Geographic Channel: a *heads-Up*

Tonight at 10:00pm has a story about Guns in America, this should be of interest to everyone here.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Thanks...will try to get my DVR set if I get home in time tonight...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

we'll tune it in and see what it is about.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'll check in to it, should be interesting to see what they say about them and about us.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    I expect a very anti-gun presentation.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Is that 10pm Eastern?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Guns in America
    Tuesday March 24 10P

We are the most heavily armed society in the world; nearly 80 million Americans own guns. Explore the gun culture in America, from a police officer to a young mother.

Source - Explorer | Guns in America | National Geographic Channel
    Note: The above image is not noted as such but it is a _recreation_ and not imagery of a real event.
    Further review of the "photos" page details this. But further even at first sight a clue that this is not a real event happening is that the picture as taken is in super high clarity. Further note how the _actor_ as portrayed holding the rifle is doing so in specific at the foregrip, which was for me at my first view of this image and thought is not typical for such a firearm by unskilled/low skilled persons and is more applicable to a person handling a precision intent rifle.
    But for folks who do not know about proper handling of a rifle toward specifically precision/accurate use (hunting, marksmanship, plinking, whatever) then they would look at that pic and not know to think about this finer point.

As is typical with the media, and antis in general, the devil is in the details.
    I do not know if this piece will be balanced or not but the opening page image as above at their website does not give me 'Hope' for 'Change'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Update:

Interestingly the DirecTV service shows it as being titled simply "Explorer" with no reference at all to the programs actual specific title.
    The description states; "A police officer returns to the job after being shot while on duty; A young mother considers joining the 80 million Americans who own guns."

If I had not seen specific reference to this via a different site and had not thought to go check the NGC website to learn more, I would have scrolled right past the general name of "Explorer" and not stopped to get more info on it.

I wholly expect the presentation to be biased but I will watch and listen to what is presented with an open mind, and eye for errors such as in their website pic.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Excellent observations, I'm going to watch for the very same reason. I would like to see a balanced report, but I have my doubts
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Thanks for the heads up. Should be interesting.

I'll watch!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

I will probably have to catch the replay at midnight. Don't want to interfere with momma watching the mentalist.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    I just set my reminder thing on the DVR. Its hell to be A.D.D., I really needed to do that so I wouldnt forget in the next 4 minutes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I just found the video in the website.... sounds very anti and I think we discussed it a year or so ago
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I just cried when they showed the ATF destroying the guns.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links