LTE -- Gun show ad ban will cost the paper

This is a discussion on LTE -- Gun show ad ban will cost the paper within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/198731 (third down) Gun show ad ban will cost the paper I recently received my postcard informing me about the upcoming Roanoke Valley gun show. ...

Thread: LTE -- Gun show ad ban will cost the paper

VIP Member

LTE -- Gun show ad ban will cost the paper

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/198731
    (third down)

Gun show ad ban will cost the paper

I recently received my postcard informing me about the upcoming Roanoke Valley gun show. I was disturbed to find that The Roanoke Times refused to allow this group to advertise in your paper. I would expect such tactics from the liberal papers in such places as New York and Washington, but not in a relatively rural area such as the Roanoke and New River valleys.

Although I am not a daily subscriber, I have bought your paper on a regular basis for approximately the last 30 years from newsstands in my area. I will discontinue this practice and search elsewhere for my daily news. I can only imagine the backlash you all would receive if you denied certain liberal organizations the privilege of advertising in your paper.

I will forward this e-mail to the businesses that I patronize and who advertise in your paper.

DAVID TURPIN
    FLOYD COUNTY
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

If true, it sounds good to me.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    We should all do more things like this when the opportunity is there.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

With so many newspapers across the country poised to go out of business, you'd think they'd be eager for all the advertising revenue they could generate.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Took him 30 years to figure out the RT is left-leaning??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Last year when I moved here, RT offered us a free trial subscription - NO THANK YOU! I have lived all over the country and most parts of the world. For a free country, the RT is the best at controlling the news and the views they want the public to see. No where close to open minded or looking for the truth. THEIR VIEW OR NO VIEW!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    Good job, we should all be so vigilant.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

You have the right idea. Writing to the paper or writing a editorial to complain about their biased reporting does nothing, they don't care. Going after their advertising dollars will get their attention.

Make a list of all the companies and organizations that advertise in the paper. Call these companies and inform them of the papers biased reporting and that their advertising dollars are supporting the garbage paper. Inform them that you will be boycotting their store as long as they continue to support the paper. Have a few friends make the same calls.

Advertising money is the backbone of any papers income, if you hurt their cash flow you will get their attention. They will either change their ways or go under.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

The Gun Show used to be advertised in the RT, how can we be sure they wouldn't accept the ad? If that is accurate I will cancel my subscription today.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    Last year when I moved here, RT offered us a free trial subscription - NO THANK YOU! I have lived all over the country and most parts of the world. For a free country, the RT is the best at controlling the news and the views they want the public to see. No where close to open minded or looking for the truth. THEIR VIEW OR NO VIEW!!!
    uhm, welcome to the world of the NEWS. everything that they report on is slanted one way or another.

LTE???
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    LTE???
    Letter to the Editor.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Gotcha. Thanks.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    What you need to do is write letters to the businesses that currently advertise with them. Let them know that if this practice continues, businesses who DO advertise will be put on a "do not patronize" list among gun owners.

You're just one voice. Get some fired-up businesses to sing along with you.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links