What do you do for a living?

This is a discussion on What do you do for a living? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm a new guy, and this is obviously an old thread, but I'll put my 2 cents in, anyway. In my profile, I put "welder" ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

I'm a new guy, and this is obviously an old thread, but I'll put my
    2 cents in, anyway. In my profile, I put "welder" as my occupation.
    That's correct, as far as it goes. What I do is build custom-designed
    commercial kitchen equipment.
    It's all stainless steel, it's all TIG welded, and almost every weld
    is custom fitted. It is almost as much an art as it is a job, and I love doing it.
    And I guess that's a good thing, since I've been doing it
    for over thirty years.
    But everybody has got to do something.

Walter

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by walter
    I'm a new guy, and this is obviously an old thread, but I'll put my
    2 cents in, anyway. In my profile, I put "welder" as my occupation.
    That's correct, as far as it goes. What I do is build custom-designed
    commercial kitchen equipment.
    It's all stainless steel, it's all TIG welded, and almost every weld
    is custom fitted. It is almost as much an art as it is a job, and I love doing it.
    And I guess that's a good thing, since I've been doing it
    for over thirty years.
    But everybody has got to do something.

Walter

Its a great thing when someone takes pride and loves there work ya just don't see it much anymore

Distinguished Member
    I am a Chef for a fine dining private club, private members only, mostly doctors, lawyers, politicians, oil business men. You wouldn't believe how picky people are when they are rich! As long as they have to eat, I'll have a job! I love making the members happy with what they want, they can be very generous around Christmas...and that means more guns!!!

I'm a master electrician working for an electrical engineering company. I get to train the newbie engineers right out of college. Boy, you talk about people who are brain smart, but mostly world dumb, that's what I train. Common sense is in short supply with most of these guys. I also take care of all of our field work that is developed through the engineering.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER
    I'm a master electrician working for an electrical engineering company. I get to train the newbie engineers right out of college. Boy, you talk about people who are brain smart, but mostly world dumb, that's what I train. Common sense is in short supply with most of these guys. I also take care of all of our field work that is developed through the engineering.

No kidding. One time, many moons ago when I was in college, in the summer I lived in an MIT house for a couple of months. Every other person there actually went to MIT. Talk about smart idiots! They were brilliant for the most part, but utterly incapable of the simplest tasks or real-life problem solving.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Solider762
    *******!!! ;) I remember you guys whipping around in your dunebuggies. Lots of fun except when they roll over and you’re in the MG ring!!

How come my smilys no work?

Remembered teaching some young US soldiers how to shoot our FN’s, quite a few walked away with bruised cheeks and black eyes from improper fit into the shoulder. The M16 breeds some bad habits. One of your older NCO’s did very well, handed me back the rifle smiling and said, it’s nice to shoot a real gun again. Seems he spent most of his career carrying a M14, which is a fine rifle in my opinion.

We also demonstrated the Carl Gustav, which I don’t think was being issued to you guys yet, lots the US troops liked firing those.

We had & still have (made in 1944) the BHP’s in 9mm, can’t remember if you guys had the Berretta or 1911 at that point.

BHP cocked and locked in the Afghanistan:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0805/20060130/

I missed this thread, somehow. Interesting to see what everyone does. My dad was an entrepreneur, and insisted that I get a wide variety of experience. As a teen, I worked on the farm or in the family construction business. I did a lot of different stuff to pay my way through school, including radio, graphic layout and design, sound tech, musician when I was in Nashville. After I ran out of money, I got into computers and courier work during the first Reagan administration, worked my way up the ladder, and then took a hard right. Currently, I am an analyst and serve on a counter-terrorism response team specializing in utilities infrastructure. I volunteered as an EMT for 8 years before my current job.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Currently, I am an analyst and serve on a counter-terrorism response team specializing in utilities infrastructure.
    Comforting to know that such a thing exists
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Currently I am running my own Structural Engineering office mainly specializing in Concrete Hi Rise Structures. In my Younger years ... Early 90s I worked executive protection in such garden spots as Pakistan & other East asian hot spots. For some reason that was alot more exciting then my current Job... Even though being a paid adult babysitter does get old after a few years.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

VIP Member
    I could almost be considered a professional student. I have more degrees than sense. I have done more things than I care to remember including: US Army (Armor officer), counselor for the Veterans Administration, manager of a Radio Shack, VP of computer services company, pastor of Baptist church, IT director for small Baptist college, and reference librarian. My degrees are as all over the place as my jobs. I have a BS in Business, MS in Counseling, Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Theology in Church History. As weird as it seems I use all of them in my current position as reference librarian at a small Baptist college for women. My experience comes in handy as well. In the past year or so I started to examine the experience and training to see if there was a common thread in there anywhere. I find that most of my work has been in the area of helping people and my training has been related to making me better at helping people. I ended up in a position where I get to help young women in building their future. The IT, counseling, theological, historical, etc. training and experience are used everyday. Not being a faculty nor administration member means that students are more willing to come to me with problems and I get to give them the benefit of years of experience and at the same time know how to allow them to work out their problems for themselves. I love what I do. In talking to students that is one of the things I stress over and over - "Life is too short to spend your time doing something that you don't love."
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Solider762
    *******!!! ;) I remember you guys whipping around in your dunebuggies. Lots of fun except when they roll over and youíre in the MG ring!!

How come my smilys no work?

Remembered teaching some young US soldiers how to shoot our FNís, quite a few walked away with bruised cheeks and black eyes from improper fit into the shoulder. The M16 breeds some bad habits. One of your older NCOís did very well, handed me back the rifle smiling and said, itís nice to shoot a real gun again. Seems he spent most of his career carrying a M14, which is a fine rifle in my opinion.

We also demonstrated the Carl Gustav, which I donít think was being issued to you guys yet, lots the US troops liked firing those.

We had & still have (made in 1944) the BHPís in 9mm, canít remember if you guys had the Berretta or 1911 at that point.

BHP cocked and locked in the Afghanistan:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0805/20060130/
    We had the 1911, but I personally owned a BHP and your guys convieniently were able to leave me a ton of 9mm for my little toy! We had some very good times on and off post, both in and around Tacoma and Seattle.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Same Job

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    WOW you and I have the same job. Just different applications. I bet lockheed is much better paying than columbia... But if you wanna check us out.. our site is

http://www.flycolumbia.com
    We make the worlds fastest certified piston aircraft (personal) in the world. And they start at about 400k. all the avionics are Garmin! nice stuff!
    Hey Gelicious,...Yea,..I'm Avionics/Electrician. I work the F-22 Raptor the worlds fastest jet!!You bet i'm going to check out your webpage. Hang in there and don't forget to keep your air data streight.
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

Exclamation

Solider762
    *******!!! ;) I remember you guys whipping around in your dunebuggies. Lots of fun except when they roll over and youíre in the MG ring!!
    LOL I remember our very first accident in the battalion: The Bn XO managed to roll one and he had his hand on top of the roll bar. Good thing he rolled it in sand so the hand wasn't crushed. Oh yeah, one of the hats worn by the XO is (ready?) Battalion Safety Officer!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Leadership by example eh!

Cool Lead from....beneath?

Leadership by example eh!
    EXACTLY what the Battalion Commander said.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links