What do you do for a living? - Page 9

What do you do for a living?

This is a discussion on What do you do for a living? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Colin I often walk new logging road alignments to look at bridge sites, as I am in Griz country I carry a ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    I often walk new logging road alignments to look at bridge sites, as I am in Griz country I carry a Mossberg 500 with slugs and bear spray. Been stalked a few times but never charged (yet)

HOLY CRAP,

Where is the compact browning 50 cal with a belt of ammo that would stretch all the way to Texas.

I heard some real doozies when I visited Alaska several years back about them Brown bears whils visiting Fort Richardson.

How much faith do you have in the bear Spray?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Hey Rock and Glock yup I have some guns and there all fun arent they. Just got my cpx-1 a few weeks ago and put 100 rounds through it. And so far Im really impressed with it. Im over at Skyy forum as Skyy-pilot got that mane from an old song of the same name. Broke my ankle at work so Ill be hanging out on the boards for a while. Take care Sixgun.

i'm a paper pushing pansy for an insurance office. (yes i am a hated insurance scumbag, ripping off clients with high premiums and laughing as claims are denied.)

on saturdays (most of them anyways) i work as eye candy for Wild West Guns, running the cash register and fondling guns all day long.

anywhere from one to four nights a week i work as Event Staff for Boxing, Hockey, Alaskan Fighting Championships, or concerts. basically, they pay me to go to cool sporting events and work as security/bouncer. plus i get advance headsup of superduper cool shows, like TOOL!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Hey Colin do you need an assistant? Sounds like a great way to spend your working days.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    i'm a paper pushing pansy for an insurance office. (yes i am a hated insurance scumbag, ripping off clients with high premiums and laughing as claims are denied.)

Last edited by Team American; March 8th, 2006 at 01:22 AM.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

los
    25 years as a paralegal and trial assistant to an attorney that's board certified in personal injury/civil trial law. Took Ford to trial in 11/02 and was awarded a $225,000,000.00 verdict. It was/is the largest non-punitive damage verdict in Texas, 4th largest in the Country that year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    As some of you may already now from other posts, I am a chiropractor. I own a practice that has 3 doctors and 3 massage therapists. When the laws here change, I will hire 3 PT's and open a rehab center in the office. I like my work, and love my family. two children, one is my avatar, just enjoy that picture. Chiropractic is a lifestyle alot like CC. Some people love it, and some don't agree with it, both can save a life in the right circumstance.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    HOLY CRAP,

Where is the compact browning 50 cal with a belt of ammo that would stretch all the way to Texas.

I heard some real doozies when I visited Alaska several years back about them Brown bears whils visiting Fort Richardson.

How much faith do you have in the bear Spray?
    I have a lot of faith in bear spray, I know quite a few people that have used it for real against Grizzlies and have let myself have a bit of a dose of it.

But it has limitations, you need to wait till the bear is about 5m (5yards) from you and hit it in the face, if the bear takes a breath while being hit, it will have the most effect. If not it will likely be partly blinded and pissed, you will need to blast it again and this is hard as the bear will be swinging side to side taking swipes (this is a good time to back up by the way!) You have enough for about 10 good blasts in a 225gram can. I carry “Bear defense Professional with a caspicasin rating of 1% (the highest we can currently get here) If you get a good hit, the bear should be blinded and struggling to breath, you have about 8-15minutes to put distance between you and the bear before it recovers.

Wind is also a major factor, not only will it limit range, but might also blow it back on you (not good). Do not use as passive deterrent, spraying it around your tent, as that will attract them and they like to roll in it after it has sat for awhile. Other problems are transporting it. Most airlines will not let you take it as will many small aircraft and helicopters, you can make a airtight container out of plastic pipe. Spray is only good for 3 years and should be protected from freezing, use your old can for practice.

I try to carry both gun and spray, if there is another person with me, I will give them the spray and plan to let them trying spraying before shooting depending on the situation.
    I load 2/3” slug, 3”Mag slug x3 and a final 2/3”slug with one to two complete reloads. Used to carry SSG but talking to hunters who measured penetration on blackies, the SSg pellets only went about 2-3” Not enough to break bones or cause a fatal injury.

Neither gun or spray are a substitute for common sense and you must practice, practice and I encourage people to take extra rounds to try out there gun BEFORE they go out in the bush, I shoot mine at the beginning of every site inspection trip.

Thumbs up CS RIOT GAS works on bears....

I have a lot of faith in bear spray, I know quite a few people that have used it for real against Grizzlies and have let myself have a bit of a dose of it.

But it has limitations, you need to wait till the bear is about 5m (5yards) from you and hit it in the face, if the bear takes a breath while being hit, it will have the most effect. If not it will likely be partly blinded and pissed, you will need to blast it again and this is hard as the bear will be swinging side to side taking swipes (this is a good time to back up by the way!) You have enough for about 10 good blasts in a 225gram can. I carry “Bear defense Professional with a caspicasin rating of 1% (the highest we can currently get here) If you get a good hit, the bear should be blinded and struggling to breath, you have about 8-15minutes to put distance between you and the bear before it recovers.
    I can't speak for Bear Spray, but I had a small encounter of the bruin kind waaaaay up north of Fort Lewis in an area we referred to as the Rainier Training area in 1982. I had a platoon sized patrol sweeping through an area on a movement to contact and my point guy was maybe 100 meters in front and we heard him scream. Seconds later he came BLASTING right through my wedge formation and he was muttering: F*** IT F*** IT!!! he disappeared through the woods behind us. A moment later we saw what got him all riled up!

Biggest bear I ever saw in my life, on two legs roaring and hollering and coming...at us. So what do my troops do? They cut loose with every weapon in the unit! One problem: LOTS of noise and all BLANK AMMO. I'm screaming for them to cease fire as I pull a riot grade CS Grenade from my ruck and gently lob it between the bears legs. The gas grenade was one of those smaller ceramic things that actually shatter instead of just leaking gas from holes on top. The gas isn't so much gaseous as it is DUSTY. Anyway there's this small cloud of DUST hanging at about waist level to the bear. He drops from two to four legs (I guess he was going to charge) and suddenly his head is in the cloud. I actually felt sorry for this thing!

He starts moaning and rubbing his snout (tried to tell him not to rub, but he wasn't listening) which only makes it worse...LOTS worse...anyway, he ran one way and we ran the other. Caught up to my point guy...and passed him.....We were the laughing stock of the outfit but my CO quietly pulled me aside and said it was proper use of government training equipment to use the gas.....

Anyway, CS RIOT AGENT works on bears too for what it's worth.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Ah yes beautiful Ft Lewis, I served in the Cdn Army and we trained there and Yakima Firing Centre, never ran into a bear there, but did get gassed by US troops a few times and we didn’t have gas masks! I was in from 76 to 87, so perhaps our paths crossed, heh! Wait a minute, maybe it you that gassed us!!

Smile I Confess

Ah yes beautiful Ft Lewis, I served in the Cdn Army and we trained there and Yakima Firing Centre, never ran into a bear there, but did get gassed by US troops a few times and we didn’t have gas masks! I was in from 76 to 87, so perhaps our paths crossed, heh! Wait a minute, maybe it you that gassed us!!
    OMG! I did. I DID! I gassed the Canadians more than once in the field. That's okay, you guys dranks us all under the table at the Officers Club. The BRUTAL hangover gets even. I never saw any soldier drink like the Canadians, except the Brits. Especially the SAS.

But there's a beer...MOLSON? No not that...something else. I can't remember. On the American side it's 3.2 but on the Canadian side it's a whopping 12%! You guys always brought the beer! By the army truckload. Almost a part of the G4 logistics pack. LOL

Who could ever forget the annual YAK-ATTACK exercises! I both loved 'em and hated them. Loved them because they let me really haul A$$ across the terrain in our FAVs (Fast Attack Vehicles -- Dune Buggies) and the choking Mt St Helens ash was a dead giveaway visual signature that any sort of movement (even on foot) meant an attack on some position. Good for defenders, bad for attackers. Remember the "A" in FAV?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Geologist. Mostly play with contaminated soil and water though lately it has been all mold contamination from the water intursion during the hurricanes of the past two years.

I work in the disability benefits arena as an Operations Manager and Program Manager running large customized programs for Fortune 100 companies.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I've done a few things. Went to college for aviation, and became a flight instructor for a while. THen I got sick of starving, and wanted steadier work.

Then ended up getting a Master's in social work, and worked with severely crazy people for a while. Then I got burned out.

Then I went into computers, which I've always liked, and been good at. Now I am the IT Manager for a MA based company that does MRIs and CT scans on people. Basically I make sure the place runs, data-wise, and make sure that radiologists can get their images electronically.

I engineer bullets. Don't be overly jealous either, it's not always that great, although it does have it's perks.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links