Carry a BB gun?

This is a discussion on Carry a BB gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Say, hypothetically, *cough* that you don't yet have a firearm, but happen to own a BB pistol. Would you carry it for any reason? Maybe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry a BB gun?

Carry a BB gun?

Say, hypothetically, *cough* that you don't yet have a firearm, but happen to own a BB pistol. Would you carry it for any reason?

Maybe because:
    You can
    To get used to the weight on your hip
    It's better than nothing

?_?

Okay, I'm ready. Bring on the flames. (...)

2. Remove Ads

Umm... personally I think you would be better of just keeping a knife. A BB gun is most likely to piss a BG off instead of stop them... unless you hit them in the eye but even then. I suppose you could use it as a blunt instrument to beat a BG with though. I say keep the knife. No point in carrying a BB pistol to get used to carrying before you get a gun unless it is a replica of the gun you are going to get. IMHO!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I've heard of dumber things......................................Yeah really I have, I think?

Yes, you are better off carrying a knife and Pepper Spray than a replica firearm or BB Gun. Guns are not toys, and bad guys don't wilt at the mere presence of a gun. If you pull it, you better be ready to face that someone may die as a result of you shooting. If you haven't come to terms with that, do yourself a favor and don't carry a gun.

Now, before you go off thinking I'm some anti-gun wacko, no. What I am is someone that has been carrying a gun for over twenty years, and have need of my gun both on duty and off duty on three seperate occaisions.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Check your local laws! In many states, that BB gun is considered in the same category as firearms and if you were to carry it concealed off your property you may be commiting a crime.

If you want to experiment around your home, then fine, whatever it takes to help you take the next step into the world of defense.

However, it is not a defensive tool, and if you were to ever present it in a defensive situation it will probably do more harm than good to you. I would personally rather bring a knife to a gun fight before I brought a BB gun to one.

A friend of mine, years ago when he was 19, got a BB pistol because he was being intimidated by some wanna be gang bangers. They approached him one day and he brandished it. BIG MISTAKE! It escalated his problem dramatically and he narrowly missed getting the daylights beat out of him. He lived in constant fear of his life for quite a while after that.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    My 10 year old carries his BB gun around the house! ;)

Sniper's got it down pat. Technically in my area (your local laws may differ), a BB is a firearm. And even though we have that little orange tip on it, it looks a lot like the real thing, so we were advised by an LEO friend NOT to ever have it where it could be mistaken for the real thing, especially by BG or LEO.

Like I said. 10 year old. In the house.

I would think carrying a BB gun for self defense is a good way to get yourself shot.
    NRA life member.

Whatever you do be careful! You could shoot your eye out!

I can only see a BB gun making a BG even madder. Just my .02, but I wouldn't waste your time.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

No, absolutely not. All you have with that fake-roscoe is a bluff, and a bad guy is going to call your bluff every time.

Worse, because all you have in your hand is a bluff, it means that you aren't ready to fight with something that might save your life, such as a good knife, stun-gun, fox pepper spray, asp ...

My son doesn't carry a BB gun yet, he is only 6, but he does on occasion carry his two shiny cap pistols around the house. You would be just as well served with those I would think.

Simple answer. NO, there is no good reason to carry a BB gun unless you trying to keep some critter out of your attic or garden.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you're using the BB gun to simulate the feeling of carrying an actual firearm, then I suppose that's an okay idea.
    If you have ANY intentions on pulling that thing out and trying to use it in defense of yourself or others, then that is a very bad idea. Like was mentioned before, it would be a good way to get yourself or someone else shot.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

Senior Moderator
    No. Do not carry a BB gun unless it is in your house are your own property.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Check your state laws, I believe most states prohibit the carrying of them without a permit, since they do fire a projectile. Most BB guns that you see resemble a real gun, so a LEO or anyone else who sees it is not going to know it is a B gun without examining it. If you want to carry it around at home I don't see a problem, but if your thinking of going out in public with it, I don't think it is a good idea.

Only when hunting bumble bees. Then I use solid copper BB's. They penetrate better.

Semper Fi

Carrying a handgun is not a game! So don’t play games with the idea. If you want to be a CCW license holder take the appropriate steps to do so.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links