What do you do in this situation?

This is a discussion on What do you do in this situation? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are places I've shopped in the last few years that ask for considerable information during a transaction. Whether paying in cash, debit, or credit ...

There are places I've shopped in the last few years that ask for considerable information during a transaction. Whether paying in cash, debit, or credit card I've been asked for my address and/or phone number, sometimes just the zip code.

I've owned a retail business and know that none of this information is required for any type of transaction. There are incentives to retailers to accept cards in a particular way to keep the discount rates [bank juice] lower, like having the card swiped in person as opposed to over the phone. Anything that reduces the opportunity for fraud means it costs the retailer less in fees.

So, when they ask only for zip code I give it as it could be for cardholder corroboration. I think it's strictly for demographic data for marketers and advert effectiveness data. However, when they ask for a full address I never give it because I know they're building a free database for mailers.

I never give it, some people, mostly kids, look at me like I just smacked my grandma, others take it in stride. I love how they're trained to ask for it in such a way as to make it seem 'required'.

So, long question longer; what do you do when asked for this information and how does the register jockey react if you refuse?
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

I don't give that information. I don't care how they react!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Just have them key in the letters N-O-Y-F-B, they need nothing more than a zip code, and that's all they get from me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

What I thought everybody lived at 123 main st. The reason Lowes asks for you phone number is to be used if you lose your receipt and need to return something. I questioned this when I was paying cash at the self check-out. The sale associate said put in any combo of digits that you could remember if you need to return an item without a receipt.
    I look for databases like these to use when I do skiptracing. I was in Best Buy last week and my brother-in-law needed to buy a charger for his lap top. The sale associate asked for his phone number and when he gave it . His info did not pop up on the screen facing us but the person whos number came closest. If I have a phone number and need to find whos it is . I walk into Sears and pick-up the cheapest item and take to the register. Then ask for number. I give them the subjects number and if they bought anything from Sears their contact info will pop up in front of you. You can always use an extra flashing,wrench,something or take item back the next day and return it. meanwhile you have the info that you are looking for.

Links