Concerning gun control:

Concerning gun control:

This is a discussion on Concerning gun control: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; “The Wild West” is a term that is thrown out a lot, especially is loosening restrictive laws (e.g. concealed carry). In the wild west, did ...

Concerning gun control:

“The Wild West” is a term that is thrown out a lot, especially is loosening restrictive laws (e.g. concealed carry). In the wild west, did people REALLY shoot each other just for the hell of it?

Was there really daily shootings over a game of poker in the saloon? Or has the media/movies/old TV shows glorified the Wild West and twisted the history so greatly that it's hardly a genuine look at what really went on?

Or is "The Wild West" simply a term to describe the spirit and culture...in that, anything and everything was possible and there are no consequences? - And no basis in reality or at least, modern day, civilized society reality?

VIP Member
    My understanding of the "wild west" is yes it was violent, but it was not the "blood flowing in the streets" that the media likes to portray. From the early 1800's until the early 1900's there was little law, and even fewer law enforcers (many of who flipped from one side to the other quite often), people lived by a code of what was right and wrong. If you violated the code it tended to have very sudden adverse results. Prison overcrowding wasn't a problem!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My understanding of the "wild west" is yes it was violent, but it was not the "blood flowing in the streets" that the media likes to portray. From the early 1800's until the early 1900's there was little law, and even fewer law enforcers (many of who flipped from one side to the other quite often), people lived by a code of what was right and wrong. If you violated the code it tended to have very sudden adverse results. Prison overcrowding wasn't a problem!
    Exactly, less laws, less problems, less crime for the punishment was swift and just, not lame like today with appeal after appeal.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Exactly, less laws, less problems, less crime for the punishment was swift and just, not lame like today with appeal after appeal.
    Suddenly, an example of this, portrayed in a movie, lept to my mind.

ala Tommie Lee Jones as Texas Ranger, Woodrow F. Call
    (Lonesome Dove)

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

While Bill Hickok was a sheriff in Ellsworth, Kansas... there were newspaper articles that it was common to find 1-3 dead bodies in the street each morning. He had to be "quick" with his gun to survive that environment. In a gun fight where he was trying to arrest someone for shooting someone else, his deputy and best friend came running to 'help him'..... him not knowing who it was behind him, swung ... saw man with a gun (it was dark)... and shot ... killing his friend and deputy. That is when he quit being the Sheriff.

But no, it was not common everywhere... but use of a gun for perceived "justice" or defense wasn't uncommon either. These most commonly were in areas where a high level of drinking, "savory" folks & gambling prevailed.... and not everywhere else in that town, or territory.

But, the most notorious "killers" in the old west, had maybe shot 5-7 people, and it was common during one period to not count it as a killing if the person shot was Mexican or Black.

Links