Something important to worry about

This is a discussion on Something important to worry about within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all tend to worry and fret about the little things, the things that are unimportant. Here's something important to worry about--though as individuals we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something important to worry about

VIP Member

Something important to worry about

We all tend to worry and fret about the little things, the things that are unimportant.

Here's something important to worry about--though as individuals we can do nothing.

CNN reports: MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russia will build at least six nuclear-powered submarines with long-range cruise missiles for its navy, a source in the Russian Defense Ministry told the Itar-Tass news agency."

The story goes on to state that the particular weapons system is designed for attacking aircraft carriers.

It isn't clear why Russia has decided to reignite the Cold War, but they are well on their way to doing so. They have plans to base bombers in South America, possibly Cuba, to increase and modernize their military.

So, who do they see as a threat? Why are they acting this way?

I have my own theory and thought, but am curious what others think.

2. Remove Ads

Very scary indeed, we don't need another Cuban missile crises. We do not have a president with the moxy of JFK. Lets all take a guess who's aircraft carrier's they wish to take out. One only needs to look at what they are building and where they are positioning them to draw a conclusion.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If you really want to get concerned.... look at how BIG China is building up it's military capability. It's HUGE. Now, the question begs.... why ?

VIP Member
    The russians can't even pay to maintain the subs the already have. There are hundreds of russian subs rusting away in ports all over the country, some are even causing nuclear contamination.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Don't forget deployment in the Arctic which is making our Northern Neighbors (Canada) posture and threaten to retaliate by doing the same.

Russia sends troops to frozen north to claim Arctic resources - Times Online
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Maybe they just decided to build up their arsenal of assault weapons before BO bans them!

Yeah, with the impending global economic collapse, who would think some countries would be fortifying their defenses...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I see it as a HUGE threat! This is based on an assumption they can and will build them, which I believe they can

Personally, I consider Putin and his cronies EVIL.

Russia is trying to expand its Sphere of Influence and recover from its previous failures. It will do many things to protect its borders and economic interests, hence the belligerence with respect to the former eastern bloc countries, as well as Turkey and China. Hence its attempts to strengthen ties with Muslim countries (Iran, among others). It has rehoned its intelligence apparatus too.

Russia will do this while it sees an advantage. The advantage currently has many facets:

An untested, naive President;
    A lack of true leadership in the legislative branches;
    A hamstrung economy;
    Loss of USA leadership abroad;
    USA involved in Iraq;
    USA involved in Afganistan;
    And others

Of all of the external geopolitical threats, I consider Russia No.1 with Iran a close 2, and if it goes Nuclear, it gets elevated to No.1?

Of course, China also has many of the same elements, and should not be dismissed.

Simple jackel behavior. They (Russia, China, South America, Mid East) see the US is staggering from financial ruin. They smell blood. They have been circling for years if not decades. These jackels have waited a long time for Uncle Sam to appear to be weak. Now they will take advantage of the turmoil in the US to advance their goals.

The questions is: Will our leaders recognize this and defend against it? Will our country pull together or remain fragmented along both racial and political lines?
    Will we have what it takes to prevail?

VIP Member

On the same page

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I see it as a HUGE threat! This is based on an assumption they can and will build them, which I believe they can

Personally, I consider Putin and his cronies EVIL.
    This is my thinking too. Just no good. And a smart guy who is no good is dangerous as h.

B52
    Putin is an evil man. I saw him from a distance once and felt the presence of Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    We all tend to worry and fret about the little things, the things that are unimportant.

Here's something important to worry about--though as individuals we can do nothing.

CNN reports: MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russia will build at least six nuclear-powered submarines with long-range cruise missiles for its navy, a source in the Russian Defense Ministry told the Itar-Tass news agency."

The story goes on to state that the particular weapons system is designed for attacking aircraft carriers.

It isn't clear why Russia has decided to reignite the Cold War, but they are well on their way to doing so. They have plans to base bombers in South America, possibly Cuba, to increase and modernize their military.

There's no possible about it. I don't remember where I found it, but about 2 months ago there was an article in one of the news websites about it. Cuba was hosting Russia and they were checking out one of the old airbases to use for the bombers....That was after the Russian Navy had done a tour another month or two prior that included stops to buddy up in Cuba and Venezuela.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

We are slowly being surrounded by those who are and were communist and want to see us gone. Match that up with the current administration and what is going on and we will be in a heap of trouble if people start playing neighborhood bully again.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

On top of all of the military buildup of China and Russia, are the following two stories that China, Russia, and the U.N. want to ditch the dollar as the world's reserve currency, and even Geithener has said he would be willing to discuss it. (what an idiot).. If folks think our eceonomy is in trouble now, they have seen only the tip of the iceberg if the dollar is replaced.

China backs talks on dollar as reserve -Russian source | Currencies | Reuters

U.N. panel says world should ditch dollar | U.S. | Reuters

Fact is, we have spent too much for too long, and we have no manufacturing base to build our way out of this mess. Study history and it becomes clear that the wealthiest countries have always been the ones who can create value added products. (ie. turning raw resources into goods for sale) We no longer do that, China does it now. We produced our way out of the great depression, largely thanks to WWII and the edge we gained over the rest of the world because most of Europe had been destroyed. We cannot produce anything of value here anymore. We rely on $3 billion dollars a day of foreign money to keep our government spending at its current level.

All it will take is a stiff breeze, and this house of cards is going to fall. The new administration has made things worse by multiples. I realy don't see any way we can dig ourselves out of the mess we are in given the current political climate wherein, the leadership and the people seem to believe that all that is good must come from big brother.

Don't take my word for it. Go to youtube and listen to the professionals. Search Peter Schiff, Roubini, Jim Rodgers, Gerald Celente. Buckle up folks, if these guys are right, the next few years are going to be a bumpy ride.

I think Hotguns avitar sums up the situation rather succinctly.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Right now Russia is about the only "hostile" economy that can summon up the dollars and the willpower to do this (confront the USA directly) on any scale. Having said that, they are struggling, but their resources may allow it. China likewise, and, they have the intent to benefit from Africa's resources (via Chinese investments), as well as the USD Reserves to do it with. I just don't sense the desire, in as much as Russia sits on their border, and Tibet cries for world attention. BTW, they will never give up Tibet. That will never happen.

All others right now (Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, etc.) are basket cases economically, although Russian support and technology allows their use as a weapon of a strategic nature against the US. That forces us to use our limited resources in a less-than focused fashion.

A naive US Policy also forces us into placating enemies whilst "they" attempt to "fix" the world view that "Bush" caused <sarcasm off>, <reality off>.

All in all though, Putin is very unnerving, and projects ill intent and a narcissistic desire to be seen as a absolute leader, as well as the savior of Mother Russia and the creator of a recombinant USSR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links