Sugestions Need On My Photo Box

This is a discussion on Sugestions Need On My Photo Box within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am trying to take better pictures, so I made this photo box yesterday. As you can see I did not succeed. I am using ...

Thread: Sugestions Need On My Photo Box

Distinguished Member

Sugestions Need On My Photo Box

I am trying to take better pictures, so I made this photo box yesterday. As you can see I did not succeed. I am using standard 100 watt bulbs and bed sheets as the light filter. Should I try flood light bulbs and some kind of paper as the light filter? Those of you that take such great pictures please help.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think the pics look good. Nice clear images. It's only the artistic appeal that is lacking.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the pics look good. Nice clear images. It's only the artistic appeal that is lacking.

+1

I agree. And you can easily get more "artistic" by simply changing the background.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, but they look to dark to me.

VIP Member
    Could that be from such a bright background and a black gun?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I did think of that too, but they still look good. Did you try using no filter or a lighter filter on the lights? Or maybe add another bulb or two?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Thanks, but they look to dark to me.
    IMHO, I think you need more contrast by using a light color background. If you still think you need more light try fluorescent.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Try opening up one f-stop to better expose the gun. Over-exposing that background won't be noticeable.
    Attached Images
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

First off, what camera are you using? That would help us give you advice.

edit: nevermind, I see it's a canon powershot. I'm not going to be much help to you.

Administrator
    You might try using the Natural Light flood lights.
    Hardware store item. They pretty much duplicate the color of natural sunlight.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I did think of that too, but they still look good. Did you try using no filter or a lighter filter on the lights? Or maybe add another bulb or two?
    Lengthen the shutter speed to give more exposure (+1 or +2).
    Bracket your shots (-1,+1,+2,+3), then you can pick the best exposed.
    You can also try adding a sheet across top, maybe threee lights.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You're well on your way: be pleased with how far you've come! Most folks take pretty ugly photos, and you've gone MILES past that already!

+1 on the sheet across the top and a light slightly off-axis from your camera. You want to be able to show detail on the surface facing the camera.

+1 also on the bracketed exposures or exposure adjustments.

For white balance, you should place a business card upside down (or a 3x5 card) in the corner - you can edit it out later. This 'lightest object in the field' tells the camera what white is under your lighting, and it adjusts itself to give the proper color balace. With red and black only, it will try to pull the red into looking white. It won't succeed, of course, but it might give odd results.

For exposure, you can also go with a darker background: the overall darkness of the scene will make the camera take a longer exposure and it will give you a lighter photo. You may need to add contrast in the editing process, but you'll have more to work with.

I use GIMP to do my photo editing. It's free, quite versatile, and available on the 'net for downloading.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    A broad, soft lite above would bring out the detail in the slide and help brighten it up...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Man you stole my pictures! I took these after a few beers, on my coffee table, on top of a T-Shirt with Tampa Bay Bucs’ on the other side. With a canon elf and the cameras flash.

I agree with some of the posts here, however, if you are looking for a thorough critique of your photos, I think you would be best served by going to a photography forum. Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin This is a Canon specific forum. Im not trying to insult anyones input here, I just think that when it comes to shooting guns DC is the place to go. When it comes to shooting cameras then a photo forum is the place to go... Unless you are talking about literally shooting cameras then DC is still the place
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Links