Gun Safe Problem

Gun Safe Problem

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Problem within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So awhile back I bought a Sentry 14 gun safe at Kittery Trading Post for $800, on closeout from like $1999 or so if I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Gun Safe Problem

So awhile back I bought a Sentry 14 gun safe at Kittery Trading Post for $800, on closeout from like $1999 or so if I recall. It weighs about 500# and was a stone cold ***** to get up the stairs and into the master walk-in closet. Fast forward a couple of years and the thing won't open. It has an electronic lock with no key or other mechanical backup.

So the thing is closed and will not open. I have been on the phone with Sentry, and first they tell me that the battery isn't fresh enough, so I find a Duracell dated 3/2014 and give that a try. No luck. They still think that the lock isn't getting enough juice to open, so I am headed to Radio Shack to get some 9V connectors and hook several batteries in parallel (still putting out 9V, but more current available) and give that a try.

If that doesn't work, the bottom line is that I will need to pay a locksmith to drill the safe, thus ruining it.

Going forward I will never buy a safe with an electronic lock. Luckily I have one pistol that was on my person when I closed the safe last, but I can't lock it up obviously, and I don't have access to the shotties and other goodies locked within.

Any locksmiths on the forum with some tips?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Moderator
    I was afraid of that when i bought my safe so I got one with all manual locks
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Try using the factory default code. It might have lost memory due to low battery voltage and reset itself to the default code.

I found my paperwork,not sure if it will help but it shouldn't hurt to try.

Changing the Electronic Combination
    Your new combination must be six digits. Avoid using dates (i.e. birthdays Of anniversaries), drivers license number or any common number that is accessible to others.

1) Enter in SIX zeros (the number 0); there will be two beeps and two flashes
    2) Enter the existing combination once; there will be two beeps and two flashes

1) Enter the new combination twice; there will be two beeps and two flashes after each entry.
    2) test your new combination several times with the door open and the door
    bolts extended Two beeps and two flashes always signal a correct entry

If a mistake is made while changing your combination, your lock will revert back to old combination. Do not store the combination in your safe! A lost Combination will result in drilling the safe at the owner's expense.
    Last edited by archer51; March 30th, 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add info

Have you tried the 5 digit Factory code? The factory code cannot be changed and is always present even if you use your own personal code. Maybe your code got bunged up...try the factory one. If you don't have it, you'll probably need to get it from sentry.

Also, what happens with the LED's on the front when you enter your code? A yellow LED condition would mean that it doesn't think it has enough juice.

Is this thing supposed to have a manual/key override hiding behind the battery holder?
    edit: The reason I ask this, is because one, you don't think it has a key override (which really could be the case), or two, if it does have the hidden key override but you don't have the key, maybe sentry would send you a new key.

Check here for the manual if you don't have it...
    I'm guessing this is it, but could be wrong...
    http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/OwnersManuals/503825.pdf
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    And that is why I don't like electronic safes.

Good luck, I hope you find some kind of resolution that is better than drilling the safe.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I am using the 6 digit factory code, I never programmed any personal codes. After punching in the code, I get two beeps, the LED flashes red twice, I can hear the solenoid clicking internally, but I can't move the spokes.

packinnova,

That is close but not exactly the one I have. Unfortunately it does not have any type of key backup. The battery drops out the bottom of the electronic lock after removing a little plastic cover. I even verified this with Sentry when I was on the phone with them.

Just got back from Radio Shack with some 9v connectors, gonna solder them up in parallel and see how things go.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

I bet either way, when this is over there is going to be a sentry 14 gun safe in the for sale section for very cheap and with free shipping.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Well,

No love, 4 9v's in parallel should be more than enough juice to get it open. Time to call a locksmith I guess.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I bet either way, when this is over there is going to be a sentry 14 gun safe in the for sale section for very cheap and with free shipping.
    Actually I might get more scrapping it out for the steel.

- Thomas Jefferson

Always wondered about that..

Mine has manual locks

tns,

I am looking for a new safe, and I will never buy an e-lock again. I am looking at AmSec, but I probably have to wait until the fall to get it.

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    We had a discussion the other day on another thread about gun safes, and folks were amazed that a certain police chief didn't have one.

I have always just been real spooky about locking things in a safe, especially an electronic one. And even a keyed safe isn't fool proof. I realize the kind of problem we are talking about in this thread is "rare," but it is real.

I know lots of folks like the gun safes that have finger print recognition. Maybe, with keyed over ride they are O.K. Me, I would lose the key after two or three years of using the electronic system, then when that failed I'd be up the creek.

Dang Mike, I was hoping for you too. That is a bummer.

I wonder if your homeowner's insurance might cover some of it?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Dang Mike, I was hoping for you too. That is a bummer.

I wonder if your homeowner's insurance might cover some of it?
    Not a bad idea, I will give them a call now.

Thanks,

Mike

EDIT: No love with USAA property insurance either, not covered.

- Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    You shouldn't have to scrap the entire safe if the door is removable once it has been opened by a locksmith.
    Possibly SENTRY can sell you a replacement door with manual locks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links