How much ya bench?

This is a discussion on How much ya bench? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by packinnova food and sleep my friend. Food and sleep are your best and worst friends depending on how you use them. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much ya bench?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    food and sleep my friend. Food and sleep are your best and worst friends depending on how you use them. I was stuck at 220 for seemingly forever. Then I discovered the power of food and sleep. Pound it down. I did the math the year that I really started adding weight to the bar and on average I was putting down close to 5000 calories a day...and that was good calories(chicken, fish, whey, veggies), not sodas and junk. Sleep is tough too. Most folks don't take that into account, but it's HUGE. No good sleep, no recovery. No recovery = no gains.

Then again I haven't had a broken collarbone. Ouch.
    When I was much more into lifting, I would religiously eat 4500 calories a day. The problem was that I was also playing on a soccer team at the same time and burning close to 5500 calories a day. I had a hard time eating more than that, but with the amount burned it left no calories to build with. I was in great shape, maybe a little too skinny (for me). I was 6'0", 160 lbs. and only 3.5% body fat. I'm much higher body fat now at 6'0", 212 lbs and @16% fat.

I still love to lift, but lack a training partner. I can't find anyone to lift with who is good at partner work. When I lift at home, I have no spotter, so that limits what I am willing to try.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Back in the day I was putting up 545lb for 2reps on the bench and squatting over 600lb for 5-6.......now due to old joints...Elbows and shoulders don't like all that heavy lifting..not to mention my 2 bad knees, I am concentrating more on fitness...I am still pretty big, 6'2" 275 but trying to get down to about 240-235 and get cut. Getting older SUCKS!!!!! LOL.....

TN Mike good for you! You could be an inspiration for lots of people. It was a diagnosis of Type II diabetes that got me going. I hope it wasn't some type of life changing experience for you.

I work from home and my fitness equipment is right in my office. I use a NordicTrack skiier for about 60-75 minutes a day and 4 days a week I use a Bowflex for about 30 minutes. My Bowflex is maxed out at 410lbs. I have had it for about 10 years and the original 210lbs or rods just didn't cut it.

Most days my caloric intake is in the 14-1600 range. Being diabetic I watch carbohydrates very closely. Pistachio nuts and are one of my staples and I just heard on Fox News about the samonilla outbreak so that really stinks!

Now that warmer weather is here I plan to get the mountain bike out and do some riding. We camp and used to only take my son's bike but I made a major investment in a front hitch for my truck and a nice bike rack so mom and dad's bikes can go too. Going to Myrtle Beach for Spring Break so we'll give it a good shakedown then.

In December I clocked in at 316 lbs and I am down to 264. My goal is to be under 200 by New Years Day. Weight loss makes lots of things easier (including carrying a weapon).

Be Safe

NosaM

working out sure does help a guy feel better about himselve. I wish I had a workout partner but its to hard with how little work we have I lift at different times during the day. It would be nice to push heavy weights but once you sit and think about it, Im just thankful im able to workout each week. Good thing seeing people into working out. Wouldn't be a bad deal to have a dedicated workout section. I mean we carry guns if we need it but if you dont have to draw and you can fight off a bad guy thats better. We could post different workouts, supplements etc..

Ouch, that is a great idea! I believe being healthy as one can is part of the the whole self defense package . Let me put this upfront, Iam by no means perfect. I have a good 20 elbows to take off and a myrid of bad habits to unlearn.I am a student of strength and conditioning . I think weapons are great . I think being in shape is a combat multiplyer. It would be cool to have a place to explore fitness .

And it be a good place to come talk about your workout or something to keep the motivation level high. update new workouts, and techniques.. I just feel i owe it to myself to lift weights, How much I carry, and practice shooting, I need to workout and practice working out just incase i would need to try to protect myself in a fight without a gun.

I used to weigh 160 and bench 240... and do 45 pounds on each arm of dumbbells if that is what you call them...

I weigh 170-175 now, not sure how much I can do, havent been to the gym in a while, but I still do 45 on each arm...

BAC
    To tell the truth, I have no idea how much I can bench. Well over my body weight, but that's as accurate as it gets. I run and lift, but neither often enough. I'm amazed how many hours can be burned studying, and how much less motivated I am when I don't have a workout partner. I suppose that makes me a little better than the average American, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. Fortunately, I've got a year to get there, so this summer should be good for me.

Interesting note; hold a 5-lb dumbbell out at arm's length for a couple minutes. It's freakin' amazing how much lighter a handgun feels after that.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NosaMSirhC View Post
    TN Mike good for you! You could be an inspiration for lots of people. It was a diagnosis of Type II diabetes that got me going. I hope it wasn't some type of life changing experience for you.

NosaM
    Actually, it was exactly that. I was diagnosed with type II in Jan 2006. That motivated me to get off my formerly fat butt and get into shape. Still working on it. Tonight is my off night from the gym. Just resting and enjoying a night off.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I do 12oz curls....they get lighter with each rep
    I hear ya!!!!

But, I do go to old high school converted into YMCA with some friends and a co-worker. Mostly do bench, decline, incline press with some deadlifts thrown in for good measure.

At 52 yrs. old and 175lbs, I just did a new PR on the decline at 255 lbs. On a good day, I can bench my weight for 2-3 reps and on a really, really good day, I will hit 195 lbs for a so-so rep.

Then we go downstairs to the old girls gym and play white boys basketball.....LOL!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I got one of those "Iron Gym" pull up bars that you hang on the door frames.

When I first got it I couldn't even do one pull up. Now I can get 5!

i sit down until the feeling goes away, although at one time i was a power lifter in the 1300 lbs club

In the winter I work out at Gold's gym. Mostly cardio. I take a break every hour to have a smoke.
    During spring, summer and fall I mow 2 acres with a push mower, clear trees from my woods, do all the yard work, take care of the pool.
    I really don't believe in "organized" exercise but during the winter I break down and go to the gym.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

fitness routine

I do mostly body weight exercises with a lot of light weight focus on stabilizer muscles. I also climb at least twice a week, You want a work out lead a 100 footer setting pro on the way up and enjoy the burn. In my height I was never a bulky person I was a swimmer eating as much food as I could get in and cardio through the roof eating 8-12,000 calories a day and still couldn't keep weight on above the 127lb mark with a bfi of 7.1 but at the time was benching high rep sets at 155. Oh man how I would love to be back in that shape again, but family comes first not 6 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym/pool.

VIP Member
    My "mouse" finger is in pretty good shape thanks to D.C. It is also my trigger finger. All's well; got all the shape I need right there in my finger and my middle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links