Show some respect please...

This is a discussion on Show some respect please... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and I where at Lowes this evening picking up some lawn care things, when I saw the most disrespectful thing I HAVE ever ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show some respect please...

The wife and I where at Lowes this evening picking up some lawn care things, when I saw the most disrespectful thing I HAVE ever seen. In the Lawn and garden section they had the kits to mount a flag pole on the side of your house. The kit was complete with an American flag. A couple walked up(mid 20's....my age) and where looking at them. The guy takes the package and starts opening it, ok no big deal. Well in the process of taking the contents out he is dragging the Flag all over the floor. I was angered to say the least. I said the guy "Show some respect man, pick that up off the floor." Well, after he tells me where I can go, I've had enough. As I take off walking towards him, he throws the Flag on the ground, picks it up and says "How do you like that!?" I walk up, grab the Flag out of his hands and the yelling match is on. Well, here come employees and the manager. They get between us and after the story is told the man and his wife/girlfriend are told to leave and that they are banned. The manager said he understands 100% why I did what I did. He shakes my hand and says have a nice day.

Now, In retrospect I put my self in a bad place. I might have overreacted, but I couldn't handle what I was seeing. I just can't fathom the complete lack of respect!!

Rant off.....
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sadly people our age are usually lacking. I would say it was a little much getting in a shouting match, but he was doing everything to push your buttons and others.

The flag belongs to all of us. To disrespect it is to disrespect all of us. You did Me a big favor sir...Thank You...

Good job.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    He's lucky he didn't do it in front of some old vet, he might have been thrown on the floor and dragged around the store himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    The wife and I where at Lowes this evening picking up some lawn care things, when I saw the most disrespectful thing I HAVE ever seen. In the Lawn and garden section they had the kits to mount a flag pole on the side of your house. The kit was complete with an American flag. A couple walked up(mid 20's....my age) and where looking at them. The guy takes the package and starts opening it, ok no big deal. Well in the process of taking the contents out he is dragging the Flag all over the floor. I was angered to say the least. I said the guy "Show some respect man, pick that up off the floor." Well, after he tells me where I can go, I've had enough. As I take off walking towards him, he throws the Flag on the ground, picks it up and says "How do you like that!?" I walk up, grab the Flag out of his hands and the yelling match is on. Well, here come employees and the manager. The get between us and after the story is told the man and his wife/girlfriend are told to leave and that they are banned. The manager said he understands 100% why I did what I did. He shakes my hand and says have a nice day.

Now, In retrospect I put my self in a bad place. I might have overreacted, but I couldn't handle what I was seeing. I just can't fathom the complete lack of respect!!

Rant off.....
    I am a little bias but that is a symbol of all us service members that have died to protect the freedom to go to Lowes or were ever you want to go. You didn't over react at all he is lucky I was not the one there I would have done worse. That is one of the things I can not stand.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

Buddy, I would have shook your hand too, what they did was COMPLETELY disrespectful in every sense of the word. To intentionally throw the flag on the ground should call for a much stiffer punishment than banning from the store. I'm not sure if I could have held my composure as well as you did in that situation. When I think of what that flag means to me and what the people of this county have sacrificed to keep it and then to disrespect it in that manner, is close to traitorous and should be dealt with as such.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

It would have been worse, my wife just kept saying "Derrin, don't hit him!" I also have and interview with the local PD next Wednesday. As a vet myself, I just counldn't handle it.
    God Bless America!!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    He's lucky he didn't do it in front of some old vet, he might have been thrown on the floor and dragged around the store himself!
    Us young vets and active duty members might do the same. I don't think it was an over-reaction myself, but thats just me. Good job, I'd buy ya a beer or shake your hand if you were in Ohio.

That kind of disrespect is something I can't tolerate.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't think you overreacted at all. It gets me heated when people even joke about disrespecting our Flag or our Constitution. They are not just a flag and a document, they are Symbols of what this country stands for and represents all of us. To see some punk treat OUR Symbol of Freedom like that intentionally... I am sure to have reacted the same.

Have I ever dropped a flag? Of course I have. Mistakes happen. Did I just leave it there or drag it around? NO! I instantly will pick it up, dust it off and put it back the way it belongs. So an honest mistake would have been fine, I would have done the same. And ask him if he noticed. One time when I was working at The Home Depot one of our displays of Flags you are talking about fell off the top storage rack and several broke open. I spent the better part of the night dusting them off and putting them back all perfect and clean, my supervisor yelled at me, then I called my boss over (ex-Army) and he yelled at my supervisor and helped with the rest of them.

Direct disrespect to OUR flag. Unacceptable and inexcusable.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You did great, and given you pending interview and chosen career field, you really did not have the option of giving him what he deserved, which is several weeks with his jaw wired, drinking his meals through a straw, which is what I probably would have done first. I hope that I wouldn't, as I hope that I have learned by this age to control my temper. But, while I am normally very good at keeping it under control, that is, along with hitting a woman or child, that could set me off.

Well done
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Thank you.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    The flag belongs to all of us. To disrespect it is to disrespect all of us. You did Me a big favor sir...Thank You...
    Well said.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post

Rant off.....
    Thank you and Bravo Zulu!

Last week while running errands I was about to turn into the bank parking lot when I saw one of those 'car window' mini-flag poles with our national ensign attached lying in the road. I put my hazards on, stopped the truck' and got out and retrieved it.....all the while holding up traffic behind me. The guy directly behind me apparently saw what I was doing and I got a thumbs up.

That jesture made me feel better about some people having a clue and respecting our flag.

That young man in your post needs more that a yelling at, but, he and all the other idiots like him also fall under the 'protection' those who have sworn to protect .....and too many have fallen doing just that, even for the idiots.

I took an oath to support, defend, and protect all americans, our Constition, and the flag.

Again, Good Job!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links