Treated like a crook at Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Treated like a crook at Wal-Mart within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The other day I went to Wal-Mart (ya I know) and bought this bench things as well as two small items. The checker rang me ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Treated like a crook at Wal-Mart

The other day I went to Wal-Mart (ya I know) and bought this bench things as well as two small items. The checker rang me up and but the two small items in a bag and left the bench thing in its box alone. I walk around the corner towards the doors to leave. Well there is not only the greeter at the front doors but a manager as well. The manager sees me coming and starts asking to see my receipt, which I just put away in my wallet. I tell her if see is so concerned with people steeling stuff why don't they stand were they can see the registers so they can tell who payed. I also indicated that the only reason I was getting stop was because she just happened to be there as the great would not stop anyone and I did not appreciate getting treated like a crook. She just kept saying let me see your receipt, which I showed her then left.

My question is am I under any legal obligation to show my receipt. How about Costco where I pay to be treated like a crook and have to show my receipt all the time?

I am from time to time, asked for my receipt at Wally World, and I don’t see a problem with it. I see it as a random attempt at controlling store loses.

You see, the person who just checked you out may be a friend or relative of yours and they did not charge you for some items that are in your bag.

And some less honest citizens than you may not put everything on the conveyor belt to be charged for. I’ve seen more than one person leave some items on the bottom rack and say “oh I forgot” if the checkout clerk catches it.

BJC
    Well, I can't speak much for the Wal-mart side of things other than that I've been stopped occasionally as well. As far as Costco, Sam's, and the other warehouses - that's part of the loss prevention program. I worked for Sam's for almost a year, as a cashier, till a better paying job became available. We always had a door greeter and receipt checker. The greeter would greet people and make sure people didn't try to sneak merchandise out the front door. The checker on the other hand, checked receipts to see if the CASHIER missed anything.

You'd be amazed about how much money in merchandise was walking out the door unpaid for. Our Sam's gave a monthly report of all the cashiers' missed items and their monetary value. Thankfully, I was almost always in top 3 for the lowest amount of missed merchandise - most times I missed nothing. However, some of the other cashiers weren't as thorough and after 2 warnings (losses more than $20) were fired!
    I hope this helps.

And as always this is just my understanding. Others might have differing opinions/thoughts - which is fine. God bless the USA!

How about when they forget to de-activate the electronic 'dingers' that set off the door alarm?

I had an incident where Wal Marts 'Security Task Force' thought they should put their hands on me and take my bag that had an MP3 player that I paid for, to be sure. Needless to say it didn't end well for them.

Now I'm pissed about it again.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Administrator
    Crooks are tackled and arrested. Walmarts shrinkage is enormous, I applaud them for making the effort no matter how trivial or in vain it might be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I would guess since your still in the store they have the legal right to see your receipt to insure nothing was "added" to your bags after you checked out. They have the optical shops and others in the area between the checkouts and the exits and someone could easily lift something from there.
    If you don't like WalMart/Costco/Sam's whatever stores policy then don't shop their. By shopping their you are agreeing to abide by their policy, as long as it is not illegal.

VIP Member
    Any time you carry something out that isn't in a bag, or won't fit in a bag, they will want to see your receipt. Just the way it goes.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    LEO's have the right to tackle and grab a criminal.
    A Mal-Wart employee has no right to grab or tackle me, just because they want to see a receipt. I am innocent until proven guilty and I shouldn't be considered a thief due to the size of the item I've purchased.
    Why don't they tape the receipt to the box?
    They do have the right to ask to see the receipt as long as they don't touch me, I don't have an issue with that.
    If some store employee decides to tackle me because I'm carrying an item that doesn't fit in a bag, they better have a darned good dentist. Once you assault me, all bets are off
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I will not address the issue of whether or not you should assist the store in loss prevention.

My understanding (and IANAL), though, is that once you have bought the items, they are yours, and the store employees have no more legal right to search your purchases than they do to search your jacket pockets or rifle through your wallet. They certainly have no right to detain you---in most states (and the standards can, of course, vary by state), they would have to have defensible suspicion (and this is where standards vary, because there are different levels of certainty to be met) that you have stolen. In general, this means either an eye witness or a security tape. The obvious conclusion is that if you didn't steal, there can be no such evidence, hence they have no grounds for holding you. If they lay hands on you at that point, it's assault and you should be the one calling the cops.

As for the bench, every big box store I have been to puts some sort of ugly sticker on items like that to mark them visually as paid.

At any rate, you may choose to assist the store with its loss prevention to keep your shopping costs down, or you may choose to shop somewhere you feel less harassed. Or you may choose to make a big deal about such harassment. My own preference is to walk directly out the door without making eye contact with the door wardens, since I know I haven't stolen anything.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Crooks are tackled and arrested. Walmarts shrinkage is enormous, I applaud them for making the effort no matter how trivial or in vain it might be.
    ditto...and it raises the good guys prices. I think you made a mountain out of a mole hill. Hummmm...20 registers would require 20 people to monitor. One person at the door can random check....you arguing with them would only make them suspicious further.

Rick

I dont see the problem, its not like they gave you a cavity search, dont like it? dont go back. .. . its that simple.

You are under no legal obligation to show your receipt at Wally World...

At Costco, when you signed up you agreed to always show your receipt, so that is a different case..

I didn't really argue with the person or make a mountain out of it I just voiced my opinion. I have only been asked for a receipt a couple times that I can remember and I have walked out of the store with many things in my hands or cart that were not marked or in a bag. Just seams to be very random.

I know what the problem was, I had my upstanding citizen clothes on instead of my down a dirty work clothes. They just could not believe a guy as ugly as me should be wearing them cloths and they figured I stole them.

The wife and I were at Wal-mart yesterday and purchased several Items. As we were leaving, this teenager, maybe 16 y.o., stood at the exit waiting for us to go through the electronic detectors. As we started through them, he went at the same time. When the alarm went off, he kept walking, thinking they would stop us and let him go since he had nothing in his hands. Unfortunately for him, security had been watching him the whole time and knew what he was doing. When we walked out the front of the store, I noticed his buddy illegally parked waiting for him, so I went back in to let security know. They informed the local Leo's when they arrived and they checked him out and found several hundred dollars in merchandise in the car. Apparently they had been doing this all morning. Unfortunately, I work at the juvenile detention center and will have to deal with these two punks for the next few days.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My take: You have no legal obligation to show your receipt to the store employees.

OTOH, they are under no obligation to allow you back in the store if you ignore their policies.

Since I want to continue shopping at Wal-Mart, I tolerate the minor inconvenience.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links