Racoon Hunting/Eating in Detroit

This is a discussion on Racoon Hunting/Eating in Detroit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seriously....... It's getting bad out there. Story and video To urban hunter, next meal is scampering by | detnews.com | The Detroit News...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racoon Hunting/Eating in Detroit

Racoon Hunting/Eating in Detroit

Seriously.......

It's getting bad out there.

Story and video

To urban hunter, next meal is scampering by | detnews.com | The Detroit News
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Ugh! No -- you NEVER eat predator! Especially one that carries diseases so close to canines (Rabies, distemper, Lepto, etc) . Very VERY dangerous!

Administrator
    I'm not sure if that is scary, neat or sad. Oh well, he sure sounds like an interesting character.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think he would be fun to set down and talk with, just think of some of the stories he has to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Ugh! No -- you NEVER eat predator! Especially one that carries diseases so close to canines (Rabies, distemper, Lepto, etc) . Very VERY dangerous!
    I eat gator tail all the time, pretty good predator.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Don't know 'bout the 'coon, but he sure can play the blues. The music at the end was great!

I'm thinkin' the look on that guys face when he first tated it, not so good. Did you see him down that wine after the second bite.

Back in the day when my dad and I were trapping hogs, at first, we caught more coons than we did hogs. Early on we just released the coons and reset the traps. Then we realized we were catching all the same coons over and over and started just killing them and then reset the traps again. Then my dad tells me let's bring smaller cages and trap the coons and sell them for food. I thought he was joking. This one area of town bought coons from us faster than we could catch them at $5 a coon.

Can't watch the vid, but it sounds like he's just a businessman...selling for profit, and even better, he ships most of it down south, which means he is importing cash into Detroits' economy. The state should give the man a grant to expand operations.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Well yeah, Gator Tail's actually pretty good. I should have said "land predators." Obviously, fish and fowl are predators too and tasty as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Gators are cold blooded animals and cannot get diseases like rabies, a disease to which coons are very prone to get.

The city would have to run out of squirrel, fish, pigeon, and possum before I'd eat coon.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Black bear is a warm blooded rabies possible predator that is hunted and eaten for meat.
    Same goes for wolf and coyote as well as felines including bobcat.
    Deer and moose can contract rabies and other diseases as well. Key is to not eat organs and to properly prepare as well as correctly cook the meat, and to not exchange blood from game with your own which itself can have pathogens.

I personally was ecstatic to read this and his plain spoken sentiments are on point for any economic time not just down times...

"Starvation is cheap"

"Today people got no skill and things is getting worse"

"Doing for yourself, eating what's natural, that was Creation's intention, Beasley believes"

"Coon or rabbit. God put them there to eat. When men get hold of animals he blows them up and then he blows up. Fill 'em so full of chemicals and steroids it ruins the people. It makes them sick. Like the pigs on the farm. They's 3 months old and weighing 400 pounds. They's all blowed up. And the chil'ren who eat it, they's all blowed up. Don't make no sense."

"This city is going back to the wild," he says. "That's bad for people but that's good for me. I can catch wild rabbit and pheasant and coon in my backyard."

"...A man's got to know how to get hisself through them hard times. Part of that is eating right."

-Glemie Dean Beasley, a licensed hunter and furrier
    Aside from using a .22 firearm he could also trap and lawfully use a pneumatic rifle in .22 up to as large as .50 caliber and be functional while also completely lawful.

This man is a prime example of the teach a man to fish concept.
    Here he is making the best of a bad situation and at that surviving and doing so well enough to parlay his skills and the environment into a means to support himself beyond subsistence levels.

I am going to forward this on to my fellow hunter education instructors and team leaders.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Been eatin coon all my life. B-B-Qued is pretty darn good. Lots of people around here eat them.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I personally can't stand racoon. However, I guess the taste is much better if you soak it in salt water before cooking.

Most anything taste better than oppossum though.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Trumpet:

Ya'll get the "Gold Star" for the funniest Thread Title!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links