Power Drink?

Power Drink?

This is a discussion on Power Drink? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CDC: Rocket fuel chemical found in baby formula By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer - Fri Apr 3, 3:36 AM PDT ATLANTA - Traces of ...

Thread: Power Drink?

Power Drink?

CDC: Rocket fuel chemical found in baby formula By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer - Fri Apr 3, 3:36 AM PDT
    ATLANTA - Traces of a chemical used in rocket fuel were found in samples of powdered baby formula, and could exceed what's considered a safe dose for adults if mixed with water also contaminated with the ingredient, a government study has found.
    The chemical has turned up in several cities' drinking water supplies. It can occur naturally, but most perchlorate contamination has been tied to defense and aerospace sites.

No tests have ever shown the chemical caused health problems, but scientists have said significant amounts of perchlorate can affect thyroid function. The thyroid helps set the body's metabolism. Thyroid problems can impact fetal and infant brain development.

However, the extent of the risk is hard to assess. The government requires that formula contain iodine, which counteracts perchlorate's effects. The size of the infant and how much formula they consume are other factors that can influence risk.

The study itself sheds little light on how dangerous the perchlorate in baby formula is. "This wasn't a study of health effects," said Dr. Joshua Schier, one of the authors.

The largest amounts of the chemical were in formulas derived from cow's milk, the study said.

The researchers would not disclose the brands of formula they studied. Only a few samples were studied, so it's hard to know if the perchlorate levels would be found in all containers of those brands, a CDC spokesman said.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said it was considering setting new limits on the amount of perchlorate that would be acceptable in drinking water. A few states have already set their own limits.

The EPA has checked nearly 4,000 public water supplies serving 10,000 people or more. About 160 of the water systems had detectable levels of perchlorate, and 31 had levels high enough to exceed a new safety level the EPA is considering.

___
    I guess if your baby farts and you gotta pry them off the ceiling they may be getting too much rocket fuel in their formula
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Kind of gives the idea of breast feeding a boost, huh?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    I love how they release this story but won't tell what brands they found it in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I love how they release this story but won't tell what brands they found it in.
    I believe Blastoff,Gemini,Sputnik,and Buggy juice are a few of the brands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

All part of the PR Spin Cycle.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The largest amounts of the chemical were in formulas derived from cow's milk, the study said.
    This makes ABSOLUTELY perfect sense IF the cows that it came from ate from a fertilized source. Lots of fertilizers have perchlorate contents.

So I would think about cattle/dairy farms that are located close to suburban areas where darn near half the town destroys the water table and the local animal life with about 10 tons of fertilizers a day.

Just a thought...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    This makes ABSOLUTELY perfect sense IF the cows that it came from ate from a fertilized source. Lots of fertilizers have perchlorate contents.

So I would think about cattle/dairy farms that are located close to suburban areas where darn near half the town destroys the water table and the local animal life with about 10 tons of fertilizers a day.

Just a thought...
    That there makes sense

Links