Just a thought...

This is a discussion on Just a thought... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading a thread posted by some guy that had the electronic lock on his gun safe fail to the point he had to ...

Thread: Just a thought...

Lightbulb Just a thought...

I was reading a thread posted by some guy that had the electronic lock on his gun safe fail to the point he had to do serious surgery it to get it open, basically he had to destroy it....

Now that started me to thinking I have a nice old fashioned dial combination on mine, but for all of you that went with the electronic locks that do not have a key bypass, here is the thought.....

Should there ever be an event in which a nuclear bomb was detonated the resulting EMP would likely wipe out every bit of electronics within 100 miles of the blast, there fore permanently frying your lock and sealing your guns inside the safe...
    Now the question is do you have a plan B other than hack it open.

Now please let's not turn this into a discussion on how to break into safes, or how you are going to smash into yours, remember you will have no radio, TV, computer, INTERNET, or even electricity. But do you have a plan in place for this contingency?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not worried about the scenario you mentioned. If your within 100 miles of a nuclear blast your not going to survive it anyway. If not killed outright the radiation will take care of you in a short time.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not worried about the scenario you mentioned. If your within 100 miles of a nuclear blast your not going to survive it anyway. If not killed outright the radiation will take care of you in a short time.
    good point
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Not necessarily... Prevailing winds can be your friend...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sorry Archer51, but Sheldon is probably referring to a nuclear explosion high in the atmosphere that will not cause any destruction on the ground but will release an Electo Magnetic Pulse that will fry all the electronics and electrical within hundreds of miles. That is the basis of one of todays political arguements - the administration is not to keen on continuing the construction of a missile defense. It would only take another country or terrorist group one nuclear missile detonated about 100 miles above earth to put us out of business.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Oxyacetalyne torch. No electronics neccessary. Just a flint to make a spark, and some explosive gas under pressure.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have a small safe where I store my handguns. It has both a number keypad & a key in case of an emergency if the batteries die. I can peel away the electronic keypad and manually open the safe with a key.

If the electronic keypad malfunctions, batteries die, EMP etc. I can always manually use the key to open my safe.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Here's the url for the safe where I store my handguns. Keep in mind that I only have 2 so far.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

the plastic case on your PC will supply no protection. BUT a steel cased safe with a circut board INSIDE running off batteries, the odds of survival are fairly good.

emp = electromagnetic pluse
    any exposed wire or open connection is a path to fry everything inside. inside of a thick walled safe is a good place to be.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I have two safes...one electronic, one manual, but forget that.

A nuke blast or some 'anti-electronic-chem-vaporizer-bio bomb' is denotated in your area?...you've got bigger problems than a safe that won't open.

I would think that most would have more than one area where weapons are stored. Also, if you're home, isn't the safe already open? If you're not at home, you're not gong to get there with cars that won't run...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The latest though is actually not a missile. Now the thought is that if a terrorist group or one of the smaller, unfriendly, countries gets a nuke they will simply put it on an airplane and fly in on one of the commercial routes. The resulting EMP from a nuke detonated at 30,000’ over New York will fry the power grid for most of the eastern seaboard. The resulting strain on the rest of the national grid will shut down the rest of the country, or at least a good part of it.

Just imagine 2/3 of the country without power, and without the ability to restore power for 6 months to a year.

Why so long to restore power? Because many of the parts that would be required are no longer made here in the US and the number of replacement components that would be required are not available either, we would need to wait for production. What about spare parts that are stored here? Well, most of the spare parts are not actually sitting on a shelf someplace, they are in redundant systems that are on-line, and this means that they would be fried too. The number of spare parts that would be left available are in such few quantities that they would not make much of a difference.

Hey, no power, I‘ve done that before, no problem. Well, 6 monts to a year is VERY different than a few days to a week. Even Katrina did not cause the kind of outages this would generate. Have you thought about not having power to operate the equipment used to supply water to your homes for an extended period of time? Have you thought about not being able to get gas for your vehicle or generator because the gas pumps do not work? Most motorized vehicles, within the EMP area of effect, will be fried anyway because of the modern electronics today. Remember, without gas we will have no supplies being shipped anywhere. Even the trains are run on diesel and will not be running outside of their local areas.

Just a thought…

Just think you walk home from work, all looks normal but everything is quiet, no air conditioner, no street lights, no water to drink or to flush your toilet, no electronic money AKA credit cards, ATM, and your guns are the only thing that can keep what few supplies you have intact from the marauding masses that did not prepare.... and like it was said it could easily be months before any services are restored.... Now I'm not telling you to go and dump your electronic only safes, but you need a key system, dial combo lock, or some place else to store your guns that will let you in any time you need them....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

There are also circuits that are protected from EMP discharges. Not too difficult to do, but I'm not sure they do that with electronic locks.

Links