Wrong Number (repeated) Rant

This is a discussion on Wrong Number (repeated) Rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've had my cell number for over 2 years now and I've had numerous calls that were to the previous owner of the number. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Number (repeated) Rant

Wrong Number (repeated) Rant

I've had my cell number for over 2 years now and I've had numerous calls that were to the previous owner of the number. He must have been a plumbing contractor because I get calls from different wholesalers and other distributors. I've been nice and asked to be taken off their "list" because I know they are just doing their jobs.

Recently though I've been getting calls from someone in Colorado. After a couple of weeks of missing the calls and them no leaving no messages, I finally was able to answer the phone. The first thing I hear is, "Bueno!".

Uh, sorry I say, wrong number, then I hang up. Well imagine my irritation when they KEPT calling me several times a day.

Today I got so ticked that I called them back repeatedly and even leaving my phone next to a radio when their answering machine picked up. I finally got a woman on the line who told me her name but was unable to tell me why she kept calling me.

Then she REALLY ticked me off by asking me if I spoke Spanish! I said HELL NO I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH! You're in MY country, YOU SPEAK ENGLISH! I screamed at her asking if I sounded like someone she knows and why she would keep calling me!

She finally hung up on me, but I swear if she calls me again, I'm programming my fax machine to call her back 24/7.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

If anyone spouts at me in Spanish and can't understand English, I start talking to them in German. That usually gets them... because they can understand English, but not German.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If anyone spouts at me in Spanish and can't understand English, I start talking to them in German. That usually gets them... because they can understand English, but not German.
    German is good, but you should try Russian or Gaelic.

That really blows peoples minds.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I keep an air horn next to the phone for those special times.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Love the fax machine idea, if it's dedicated and you can turn the ring off or turn it off. Too funny.

If they speak English, ask them for money.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

That's the stupid part. She didn't speak English well enough ( or at all) to be able to tell me why she keeps calling me. But do you really need to be able to speak English to realize that you're calling the wrong number - over and over and over again???

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    If they speak English, ask them for money.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post

Today I got so ticked that I called them back repeatedly...
    I understand your frustration, but it seems to me you antagonized the situation slightly.

I'd be happy if cell phones got real expensive again. It was better that way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1/20/2013 The end of an Error

We can only hope.

"Press '1' for English ..."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a friend who lives in St.Paul. Many years ago he started getting inundated with calls for pizza. It seems that a shop had opened up and their phone number was just a little different from his own, and people were mis-dialing. He asked the Pizza folks to change their number, but alas, they had menus and flyers printed out already, and NO they would NOT change it.

He just started taking orders for pizzas when he was called. The patrons would show up at the pizza joint and get mad because ther order wasn't ready.

The pizza place changed their number.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Perhaps someone has stolen your identity, opened a credit card (now gone to collections) and you are getting calls from spanish speaking debt collectors? Or maybe it's a druggie trying to score some dope and they are too cracked out to know what's going on. Or, maybe it's just an auto-dialer making solicitations.

Last year, a coworker was getting calls at all hours of the day from a number in Las Vegas. Some were hangups...some were breathing...others were jibberish. He would put the call on speaker and leave the phone there while we worked. I finally showed him how to look up the number online and we found it belonged to a family in Vegas who fostered mentally challenged adults... We called back and got someone that made sense... they explained that one of the patients called the number and it made them happy
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I had some moron who kept calling my cell phone. Now, my cell is on a pay as you go plan, since I don't have enough need for a monthly plan. Each time this idiot called cost me 10 cents. Not much, but do it enough, and it adds up. I called and basically cussed him out. No calls since.

VIP Member
    Well this is and can be a problem sometimes with all the cell phones in use. My elderly mother called me from Florida. She said I just got a call from someone in XXXX near where you live.

All I could say was, "What did they say? Well, I don' know they hung up. Mom, don't worry. It was not me, probably just a wrong number". At 89 though she worries about things like this that most would not.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links