Trip into the Land of Oz tomorrow

This is a discussion on Trip into the Land of Oz tomorrow within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep....headed into Jayhawk territory for a short while tomorrow. Olathe, Lawrence, and Shawnee probably. May end up moving there this summer depending on things. I've ...

Thread: Trip into the Land of Oz tomorrow

Trip into the Land of Oz tomorrow

Yep....headed into Jayhawk territory for a short while tomorrow. Olathe, Lawrence, and Shawnee probably. May end up moving there this summer depending on things. I've researched the job market, and the economy and a few things, but any pointers from any of you locals would sure be appreciated. Also.......anyone recommend a good dining experience in Joplin? My girlfriend and I were thinking Mexican cuisine, but I've already Googled some and found out the phone numbers listed on the internet are out of date, and some of the latest reviews were June of last year. Thanks for the help. We may be making another trip there for our four day Easter holiday weekend coming up.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up We'll Leave the Light on for you.

Take a good look a Olathe. Really affordable housing for the Johnson County area. Great schools, and very good City services. Many restaurants and shopping. Even have a Bass Pro Store. You wouldn't be far from an indoor gun range and two and soon to be three outdoor gun ranges. I would suggest Mi Ranchito or Chapalas Mexican Restaurant when you get here.

Oh by the way, Olathe was ranked number 11th in American cities to live in by Money Magazine,

Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Olathe, KS - from MONEY Magazine
    Last edited by CaptOFD92; April 5th, 2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Just follow the yellow brick road.

Sorry bout that.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Awesome info! Thanks for the link. I had no idea. Figured I'd be done moving by now, and got further away from the city life over the years. Current circumstances dictate me becoming more modular, and life goes on. Olathe would likely be some 30+ miles from industry and work, but that's nothing compared to what I've done over the past two years or so. Glad to hear about the ranges near, and the Bass Pro Shop. I've actually never been to one. Be leaving out around 5am and don't know how long we'll be around the area. I hear there might be some snow flurries later in the evening there tomorrow and I'll be driving a little front wheel drive roller skate instead of the 4x4 to be economical. We'll have to make a point of checking the area out more on the upcoming weekend if we make the trip again so soon. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Just follow the yellow brick road.

Sorry bout that.
    LOL! Thanks...I needed that. Really. No....actually the yellow brick road is to the west of us and towards Tulsa going to Wichita on the turnpike. I have no idea why they make folks pay to drive that road. I think the way to KC west from here is way better than that.

You are moving into LIBERAL country..... be prepared. Especially in Lawrence, very anti-gun. Good luck.

When you get to Olathe, stop by the Fire Station across the street from Bass Pro tommorrow and I'll buy you a cup of coffee. (119th & I-35 hwy)

John

You are moving into LIBERAL country..... be prepared. Especially in Lawrence, very anti-gun. Good luck.
    Lawrence is a hotbed for liberals but Johnson County is predominently Republican.
    Last edited by CaptOFD92; April 5th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

If you consider moving after your visit, buy the Places Rated Almanac.

David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated

He's changed the website and it appears less robust than previously...

Here's the book: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

My wife and I got transferred three times, and always used this as a resource. It is full of great information.

My wife and I are both Native Jayhawks, and lived there many years. Loved the KC area, loved Lawrence (as a young liberal college kid), her mother lived in Topeka for years. Kansas is pretty conservative, except for some pockets of resistance.

Sorry I missed the posts....went to bed right after my last post to get up at 5am. Only made it to Shawnee Mission medical center for a visit and picked up my girlfriend and she wanted to come home. Started snowing around 10:30 there. We'll definitely be up that way again soon and still have to see how things play out for relocation. I've been doing some extensive internet job searching and the area seems to be doing well in that respect. One thing of interest is Olathe is in need of police officers. testing is May 29th. Never know. Thanks for the offer on coffee Capt...maybe we can make it some other time. 445 miles round trip, 12 hours total, $70 from playing Missouri scratch off, and the roller skate gets an average of 29mpg!

Links