Fired casings?

Fired casings?

This is a discussion on Fired casings? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi I've read something and wonder if its true or not. Okay here goes I read that forensics can really get fingerprints from a fried ...

Thread: Fired casings?

Fired casings?

Hi I've read something and wonder if its true or not. Okay here goes I read that forensics can really get fingerprints from a fried shell casing like you see on t.v. shows like CSI and such,BUT in real life they can get prints from bullet that are still in the gun's magazine.

Maybe it's me but I don't really see what you are asking. Could you rephrase or elaborate a bit? Thanks
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

You should be able to get a print off an unfired casing, but I don't know how complete it would be. It's not exactly a large surface, even on a .45. The fired casing would probably burn the oil from fingerprints into the case, but I don't know how recoverable it would be.

rottkeeper I was asking if fingerprints can be recovered from a shell casing from a round thats been fired.

For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That's some interesting technology. I was watching the new Batman movie, and they managed to pull a print off a fragmented bullet. Only the movies now, but may not be that far in the future.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    That's some interesting technology. I was watching the new Batman movie, and they managed to pull a print off a fragmented bullet. Only the movies now, but may not be that far in the future.
    The link was about getting prints off of a cartridge. Given what all a bullet goes through when it hits something I very much doubt that fingerprints off a bullet will ever be recoverable. Perhaps a very hard bullet that doesn't deform at all when it hits something could be used.

Personally, I touch the cartridge and not the bullet when I load a magazine, so there's no way the fingerprint would ever get on the bullet itself. Not sure why anyone would routinely touch the bullet.

Bear in mind, that often times, and especially on such small objects as bullet casings, the prints recovered are non-identifiable because they are either a partial print or a smudged print.

However, if you are extremely anal and like to keep your bullets nice and shiny looking, you wear cotton gloves when you load your magazines.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

thanks guys cool link also I ask because I've always been curious about forensic science it quite fascinating to me.

Links