Any plumbers here?

This is a discussion on Any plumbers here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this is a loaded question with a ton of variables, but I want to know if this is a project worth doing; I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any plumbers here?

Administrator

Any plumbers here?

I know this is a loaded question with a ton of variables, but I want to know if this is a project worth doing;

I (she) wants to move the laundry room from the basement to a spare bedroom closet on the 2nd floor. There is no water lines in the closet wall, but there is a vent stack from a water closet directly below the closet in question. Other than that, we will be plumbing from scratch.
    So what I want to know is, is this type of project a complete PIA and not worth doing? Is it cost prohibitive?

I will hire this out, it well beyond my paygrade. I can do water lines and basic relocation stuff, but this is a little much for me, I'd rather pay a pro to do it right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It should not be that bad, just running new lines and a a vent.

The drain line would be the biggest issue
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I can plum but far from being called a plumber. But it is not hard to do what you want to do. I would do it. See if an item called pex is allowed in your area. it is flexable tubing that can be slid up the wall cavaity than either the tube is expaned and slipped over the adapter from pex to copper thread and when the tube shinks back to normal it holds onto the adapter or there is a ring that gets squezzed to crimp the plex to adapter. Pex is easier that copper because it will bend around corners and great for old construction.
    They sell at the plumbing supply houses a saddle that after you drill a hole into the vent stack the saddle slips around the stack and is held into place with a u-bolt. You load the saddle plate with a sealer and tighten the u-bolt. Then thread in a coupler into a p-trap so you dont get fuses from the stack back into the house. Not a hard project at all.

VIP Member
    Doesn't part of the answer lie in whether or not you can have holes drilled in the framing large enough to drop the lines but not alter the structural integrity?

Are you going to have to go through some sort of "plate" on which the framing of the second story was erected?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Doesn't part of the answer lie in whether or not you can have holes drilled in the framing large enough to drop the lines but not alter the structural integrity?

Are you going to have to go through some sort of "plate" on which the framing of the second story was erected?
    Yes, but not in my case. The wall I want to use is a non load bearing interior wall. The route for the drain line already exists, or we can use a joist bay to hit a existing stack if need be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    After you cut the hole in the wall for the water box look down to the floor I am willing to bet there is enough room to slip the pipes thru. Sound like it is the vent stack for the whole house so the will be room. If not you open the sheetrock between the studs and about 1 foot off the floor on the second level and drill 2 holes for the pex or copper to pass thru. Even with stopping for a few beers and running back to pick-up a part that you forgot no longer than a day project.
    My sister a few months ago wanted to move the stack of washer and dryer from one wall to the other. I had to run new water and waste, turn the slop sink 90 degrees. Install new gas line. New electrical lines to the panel. Project took a few evenings after work. What took the longest was a ever slight drip one drop every few hours so I had to un-sweat the both hot and cold lines twice until I got it. Wasn't sure if there was a drip or not since it leaked that slowly.

Administrator
    On the second floor?
    You need to put one of those water overflow catchers underneath the washer & that has to have a place to drain to.

Also use the Stainless Steel braided washer water inlet hoses because if a washer hose ruptures (and sometimes they do) while she is away or even overnight it's a disaster. So don't buy the cheaper black rubber ones.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

PIA.
    It's never as easy as it seems. get a quote from a plumber, and add 20% to that. Think of drywall repairs... repainting... gf liking new paint to include other rooms. Oh yea, "the paint makes the vanity look drab so lets replace that in the (water closet below) I don't want laminate counter tops, everyone is doing granite." then the bathroom has nicer cabinets/counter tops than the kitchen, the paint on the main level is 7 years old and needs redone, etc, etc. been there done that. Plus you're taking away much beloved closet space.

Do yourself a favor... if the little lady doesn't want to go to the basement to do laundry, have her separate loads and you walk the 10 steps downstairs and do it yourself. Then bring it upstairs and she can fold it. YOU ARE NOW A ROCK STAR,awesome guy who cares about her.

Just saying
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

There are times I've bent over at the waist and been mistaken for a plumber
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've learned to do a lot of things around our houses (we bought and sold a lot during our working years)...what you want to do is not too difficult.
    However, if it is like most projects, the usual idea that it will only take a few hours or a days...double or triple it. Easy jobs always get more complicated for some unknown reason.

Water lines are usually not difficult, but the vent may be a bit tricker.
    It wouldn't hurt to get that estimate and ask a lot of questions...you may learn something and save yourself some problems you didn't think about.

Do I think you could do it? Well heck, your "Super SIXTO"...sure you can do it.

Enjoy the job and check back...post your success with us.

__________________________________________________ __

To "dukealmighty"...not a plumber, you mean a 'crack dealer'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[QUOTE=retsupt99;1097589]

Enjoy the job and check back...post your success with us.[QUOTE]

Make sure you attach some pics throughout your project. This way we can see from start to finish. Might make a good blog....
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There are times I've bent over at the waist and been mistaken for a plumber
    You mean you weren't trying to sell crack.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know this is a loaded question with a ton of variables, but I want to know if this is a project worth doing;

I (she) wants to move the laundry room from the basement to a spare bedroom closet on the 2nd floor. There is no water lines in the closet wall, but there is a vent stack from a water closet directly below the closet in question. Other than that, we will be plumbing from scratch.
    So what I want to know is, is this type of project a complete PIA and not worth doing? Is it cost prohibitive?

I will hire this out, it well beyond my paygrade. I can do water lines and basic relocation stuff, but this is a little much for me, I'd rather pay a pro to do it right.
    I'm a pipe welder so I can do that if someone else here can do the rest. I usually weld pipes 36 inches wide..maybe too big in this case

I'll agree with the pex poster, but that's supply only.
    You should be able to tie into the present vent stack, drain, I don't know.
    I'll also agree with a pan underneath. There is a valve available that senses a hose failure, or leak, and shuts off the supply.
    I'm NOT a plumber, but part of me, I'm told, looks like one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    On the second floor?
    You need to put one of those water overflow catchers underneath the washer & that has to have a place to drain to.

Also use the Stainless Steel braided washer water inlet hoses because if a washer hose ruptures (and sometimes they do) while she is away or even overnight it's a disaster. So don't buy the cheaper black rubber ones.
    And you should also get:

Watts: A2C | IntelliFlow Automatic Washing Machine Water Shutoff Valves with Leak Sensor - Surface Mount

Or one of this:

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links