Boycott paypal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Boycott paypal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow am I ticked off!!!! I sold my RUGER LCP to another member of this forum yesterday. We used paypal for the transaction. The money ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boycott paypal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow am I ticked off!!!!
    I sold my RUGER LCP to another member of this forum yesterday. We used paypal for the transaction. The money was on its way to my account when Paypal reversed the transaction, and CLOSED my account. All because in the "memo" section of the transaction, the buyer typed out the dreaded words "RUGER LCP"

Apparently Paypal restricts the use of their services to where you cannot buy or sell firearms, ammo, gun parts, etc.

I will NOT use paypal anymore.
    I refunded his money, hopefully they will not stop that transaction, so he can mail me a check. This is ridiculous!!!
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

tag
    PayPal Acceptable Use Policy

This Policy was last modified on November 10, 2008.

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.

Prohibited Activities
    You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation

relate to sales of (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (e) items that are considered obscene, (f) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (g) certain sexually oriented materials or services, or (h) certain firearms, firearm parts or accessories, ammunition, weapons or knives
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

I'm not taking sides here and I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but if you read the Paypal User Agreement, it's all right there in the fine print.

This should make us all wonder about all the times we blindly click the "Accept" button to all of those lengthy "User Agreements" and the like without first reading all 300 pages.

Welcome to 2007

You didn't know not to use Pay Pal extremely discretely if you did anything firearms related? I guess your the last person to have heard this.

If pay pal reversed the transaction and closed your account there should be no reason YOU would have to (or even could) cancel the transaction nor refund the money because his money got returned to him. And your not going to use pay pal anymore for two reasons. Your pissed at them AND you have no account anymore.

I know they suck... everyone knows they suck.

The donations from members to this forum keeping it strong is payed through...

You guessed it PayPal.

I've bought many firearm stuff through Paypal.

Makes it easy for me.

Actually, the money was not automatically returned to him. Paypal told me they had closed my account, and would sit on the $400 for 180 days, at which point they would issue me a check. The refund was the only option I had. And no, I had no idea about the paypal nonsense, nor did I care, as I do not put anything in the "memo" section when completing a transaction. The buyer made the mistake of typing ruger lcp (which is a really great guy to deal with by the way, (treybrown) )
    I just hope they refund his money, don't they know that tons of transactions move through their site for gun related items off ebay???? What the heck.

Guess I'm just a newbie!
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

Ah well that sucks. I should think that they would simply cancel the transfer and return it.

I know if I am buying something Firearms related, but yet within their terms, I still make sure the buyer (or if I am the buyer the seller) knows to agree on something that will not trigger their ire. They have been known to "assume" things they shouldn't. Things like 1911 Grips are perfectly legal but don't put "1911 Pistol" in there. Just simply put "black grips" or something discrete. In his case he should have simply said "Plastic Mold" or some such. Something you both have already agreed too.

eBay owns them. And same policy for eBay. They make up their own rules about what gun parts are OK or not. And so Pay Pal simply adopts eBays rules.

VIP Member
    They are going to hold the money for 180 days! I hope you told them you expect it to earn interest while they hold it.

EW3
    That's why I've always stated when I sold something; Money Order or Paypal (discreet), meaning make sure they put something generic in the transaction description line.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    So you did something that was against their rules, didn't read the fine print, got caught, and now you're ticked off (multiple exclamation marks in the title was my first clue).

So now you want us to show solidarity by doing what you're doing, boycott an institution that many people use without issue.

How about admit your mistake, take accountability for your actions and just go about your business?

I'm not flaming here, just trying to make you realize that you made an honest mistake and should live up to it.

That's a good warning to be discreet. I have to admit that I didn't read the fine print either.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I always list things as: Goods, wood work, leather work, etc. and have never had a problem. I thought everyone knew their policy, it's been in place for a good while now. Ebay changed their policy as well, IIRC it was because the VT shooter had bought pistol magazines on their site and they caught some heat over it. The policies of both sites are well documented and often discussed on various forums.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I bought 4 30 round AR mags through PP the other day. Just got to be discreet. Sorry this happened to you. Wish somebody could have warned you beforehand but now you know.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

just signs of more things to come. it is sad that it has come to this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Use the term "Merchandise as Agreed" to avoid the PP Cops.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links