Grounded for sending text messages!

This is a discussion on Grounded for sending text messages! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Teen sent 10,000 texts with no plan A Wyoming father said he took a hammer to his 13-year-old daughter's cell phone after she racked up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grounded for sending text messages!

Grounded for sending text messages!

Teen sent 10,000 texts with no plan
    A Wyoming father said he took a hammer to his 13-year-old daughter's cell phone after she racked up $4,756.25 in text messaging fees.

Gregg and Jaylene Christoffersen said they thought texting was disabled on the phone used by their daughter, Dena, because their plan with Verizon
    did not include the service, KUSA-TV, Denver, reported Wednesday.

However, the service provider charged the family for each one of the 10,000 text messages that Dena sent in a single month.

Gregg Christoffersen said he smashed the offending phone with a hammer and he and his wife have grounded Dena until the end of the school year.

The couple said Verizon has agreed to reduce the bill to a more manageable amount.
    This story is silly. And I really feel for little Dena being grounded for this. If she had known she wouldn't have done it I'll bet. But not just for the fact she was grounded... but because her parents let the media come into their home with cameras and put themselves and their daughter on the news.

Personally I think the parents are entirely to blame. She is a 13 year old girl. Girls talk a lot on the phone. And now with texting they can talk even more! In my opinion the parents are mentally deficient for not purchasing unlimited text messaging plan. I have T-Mobile and it costs me 20 bucks more a moth for unlimited texts for all the phones on my family plan. <checks phone> This month I have sent 2090 text messages and my bill doesn't close until the 18th. I know a girl who is 15 and she averages about 5000 a month. And my best friends little sister, who is 18, averages over 7000 text messages a month.

It's not that they smashed her phone or grounded her that bothers me, its that they stuck her on the news to be seen by the entire world. Ha ha ha! Degenerate low life scumbags. Poor kid.

Her parents could have double checked to make sure it was disabled on the phone... you CAN disable text messaging if you don't want to pay for them, but if you just don't pay for a plan it doesn't disable them. Maybe they should have payed attention to their contract. ALWAYS READ THINGS YOU SIGN NUMBSKULLS!

Am I being to harsh on the parents? Or do you agree that shoving your kid on national television to be laughed at is good parenting? I don't know, I saw on the news and it just really made me want to go poke her parents in the eyes.
    Last edited by OMEGA2669; April 9th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Personally I think the parents are entirely to blame. She is a 13 year old girl
    I think all are to blame.

Why? The parents failed to communicate to the kid.They should have known that the messages were enabled.The kid should have known better and had enough sense about it to question the fact.

As a result of their indiscretions (all of them), it cost them a small fortune.
    It was an expensive lesson.

As for moving it, I think its OK here, since its not gun related in anyway...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why did they give her a cell phone in the first place...because everyone else has one?
    Phones at home, phones at school...'nuff said'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The wife and I have plans...our girl gets a prepaid. If she uses all her credits in the first three days, she won't have a phone for the rest of the month.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Pay to play. Better for a young twit to get an education than to remain in the clouds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i think its both the parents and the girl's fault. then again what do i know i started off on a prepaid plan and eventually when i got a job and started txt'n i paid for my own txt plan. now @ 23 i pay dad's cell and laptop connect card plus mine because i get a bigger discount on the bill than he does. 10,000 txts isn't really all that much actually. although the most i've done is 6,000 or so and the majority of my friends barely break 1,000 if that. i have known some to easily do 10,000 + a month

In my opinion the parents are mentally deficient for not purchasing unlimited text messaging plan.
    I hope you don't have kids. (please!)

Kids don't need a cell phone, period.
    (although the parents should have read all the messages and looked at the photos before smashing the phone, they might be surprised about their little darling)

I'm amused when I see a kid sacking groceries wearing a bluetooth headset.
    What? His stockbroker going to call? "Buy, 5000 shares of IBM!"
    Nor do they need a new car, an X-box 360, a PSP, a 42" plasma tv, or a tattoo on their butt.

The kid needs a JOB.

A 13 year old with a cell phone is just asking for trouble.

IMO, the problems started with the parents who decided that they just couldn't let "little suzie" grow up without all the modern comforts that her friends have.

I went to grade school in hand-me-down clothes. I had ONE pair of new shoes each year. I didn't wear shoes on weekends or over the summer because I had to save my "old" pair as much as possible. Haircuts were done at home, etc. Didn't have a cell phone until 1997 and have NEVER text messaged anyone in my entire existence on my phone.

Yet even with all that materialistic denial, somehow I turned out OK. Perhaps there is a lesson there for parents that giving your kids everything they dream of isn't exactly good for them. Or you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    i think its both the parents and the girl's fault. then again what do i know i started off on a prepaid plan and eventually when i got a job and started txt'n i paid for my own txt plan. now @ 23 i pay dad's cell and laptop connect card plus mine because i get a bigger discount on the bill than he does. 10,000 txts isn't really all that much actually. although the most i've done is 6,000 or so and the majority of my friends barely break 1,000 if that. i have known some to easily do 10,000 + a month
    yeah i can easily bre 10000 texts in a month, its alot easier and quicker than trying to call someone when all you need is a short answer. hell im on my phone TALKING for over 3000 minutes on a slow month, so it pretty much lives in my hand or at my head. . . :D

I did the math earlier and that's like 20-something texts per hour (given 16 waking hours).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I did the math earlier and that's like 20-something texts per hour (given 16 waking hours).
    is that all?? wow.

All the texts were apparently made at school which resulted in her grades dropping from A's B's to C's D's,I think kids are spoiled rotten today and that is a huge problem with our country,buy crap you can't afford and keep borrowing until you go bankrupt and then expect a bailout
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Who has that much to say???

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Most likely it's only half that. Cell companies also charge for incoming text messages. Unless you have unlimited texting cell companies charge twice for each message.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

They should have read their contract. Grounding her I can understand, as I'm raising a 14yr. old. I disagree with putting the whole thing on the news. Sounds like they wanted attention.

Just for the record, my niece does have a cell phone. They can be a good thing under certain circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links