Street Licensing ATV/ORV's

This is a discussion on Street Licensing ATV/ORV's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was in Casper WY this week and saw some guy cruising down 2nd Ave on his ATV. Blew my mind. I talked to someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Licensing ATV/ORV's

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Street Licensing ATV/ORV's

I was in Casper WY this week and saw some guy cruising down 2nd Ave on his ATV. Blew my mind. I talked to someone who told me that they are allowed to license them for the street up there. Then a little later on I see two people cruising down another road in a RZR.

Now I can't help but be envious! I can't even run my Grizzly on most unimproved mountain road let alone run up to the gas station for a 12 pack of Pepsi!

Honestly I can't understand how an ATV is any different than a motorcycle or some of these new 3wheeled motorcycles. Driven responsibly and with acceptable exhaust systems then it shouldn't make a difference if they are on the street or not.

I used to live in WI and I believe there were a lot more miles of trails up there than here in CO.

"Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Licensed ATVs are legal for street use in Montana, also.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

thanks for rubbing it in pall!

If it's legal in CO, I haven't seen anyone do it and can't find any mention of it anywhere.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Off road vehicles in Michigan can operate on any road (except the interstate by federal law). You just need the normal ORV sticker from the DNR and that's it. They have to obey all traffic laws. If there is a crash between a road vehicle and an ORV, no matter what actually happened the law states it is always the ORV operator's fault for the collision. About 5% of the population up here just own an ATV and/or snowmobile. They don't own any other vehicle. Very low payments, no insurance required (but highly recommended), just a $15 title fee when you buy it and a $20 something ORV sticker per year and you're set.

The schools up here have snowmobile parking lots marked off in the winter time and the same area is marked off for ATVs in the warmer months. Walk down the hallway between classes and half the kids smell like 2 stroke. Welcome to the UP.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The schools up here have snowmobile parking lots marked off in the winter time and the same area is marked off for ATVs in the warmer months. Walk down the hallway between classes and half the kids smell like 2 stroke. Welcome to the UP.
    How often do they have to repaint the lines in the snow? I suppose it's yellow snow right?

In WI there was a farm permit you could get to run on the road but you weren't allowed to use your ATV soley for transportation (to from the field) you had to be hauling tools, implements etc.

Who is John Galt?

They don't paint lines in the snow. It's flagged/coned off and you park where you can fit your sled. On the roads, we have to repaint every spring as the plows scrape the paint off down to bare road. We average 300 inches or more per year. This area gets the most average snowfall east of the Rockies.

I lived in WI up until 4 years ago. I was in the city and the only ATVs you saw were on the back of trucks or trailers. Country is different much like the UP. There's what the law says and how the LE in the area use their discretion enforcing that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Off road vehicles in Michigan can operate on any road (except the interstate by federal law). You just need the normal ORV sticker from the DNR and that's it. They have to obey all traffic laws. If there is a crash between a road vehicle and an ORV, no matter what actually happened the law states it is always the ORV operator's fault for the collision. About 5% of the population up here just own an ATV and/or snowmobile. They don't own any other vehicle. Very low payments, no insurance required (but highly recommended), just a $15 title fee when you buy it and a $20 something ORV sticker per year and you're set.

I wish! No ORV's are not allowed on all roads. It depends on the county. I have spent some time trying to get the law passed hear in Gladwin county. The county board voted to pass 100% open (excluding I, US,& M roads.) The next day the Road commission closed like 20% of the roads. They used good planning to land lock most of the county. So we still can't go anywhere with our ORV's. I also have a cabin in Oscoda county and it is also closed in most cases.
    The UP is much better off.
    Check the area you wish to ride. The law that did pass state government said it is up to each county.

Several states have street legal ATVs. Arizona is another one where you can do it.

Here in NY we can cross streets and we can ride on some unmaintained roads. But generally that is it. No street legal here either. And I'd love to rip down the road on my z400 to go to the store.

Here is from the CO DMV website. I still don't understand why I shouldn't be able to license my ATV:

Dirt Bike Registration
    Dirt bikes (or off-road bikes), on the other hand, are not considered motor vehicles by the state, but still need to be registered with Colorado Parks and Recreation. You can download and print the registration application, complete it, and mail it with the appropriate fee ($25.25) to:

Colorado State ParksRegistration Unit13787 South Highway 85Littleton, CO 80125You can also fill out an application in person at this address. It takes about two to four weeks to receive the Colorado Registration Certificate.

Making it Legal
    Now for the tricky part: You can transform a dirt bike into a road-legal motorcycle recognized by the state of Colorado as a motor vehicle. With a bit of tinkering and upgrading (generally new tires, a horn, a new muffler, and proper lighting) the bike can be titled and put into the periodic registration process as a regular motor vehicle.

Of course, you will need to fill out a couple of forms. First is the Certificate of Equipment Compliance, which lists all the equipment needed for the dirt bike to become street legal. The second required form is the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number.

Along with these two forms, you will need proof of ownership for titling, which can entail a manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO), bill of sale, or dealer invoice.
    And the certificate of compliance says (except at the top of the page where it specifies 2 wheels):
    Head Lamps
    At least one and not more than two head lamps. Every head lamp shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of
    not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.
    Tail and Stop Lamps and Reflectors
    At least one tail lamp, one stop lamp and one reflex reflector. Such lamps and reflectors may be incorporated in a single unit and shall be at a
    height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 72 inches or less than 15 inches.
    Note: Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps used as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway
    use.
    Brakes
    At least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.
    Horn
    Horn must be in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions for a distance of not less than 200 feet.
    Muffler
    An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise.
    Mirror
    A mirror so located and so constructed to reflect to the rider a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to
    the rear of such motorcycle.
    Tires
    Equipped with tires designed for highway use.
    Motive Power (Must have at least 50 c.c. Less is motorized bicycle and cannot be titled.)
    Shall have motive power adequate to propel the vehicle at speeds which will not interfere with the normal flow of traffic.
    I think I need to call my state reps - no doubt the state is having as hard a time with money flow as the rest of us, maybe they'll put legislation forward to license ATV's as a way to increase revenue.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Licensed ATVs are legal for street use in Montana, also.
    Likewise in Arizona!

Muk

Administrator
    I love my DRZ400; Legal every where and can go where ever I am man enough to take it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I love my DRZ400; Legal every where and can go where ever I am man enough to take it.

Ever since I tagged my dirt bike (XR400) it's kinda cool riding it in town now..but it still is not a street bike whatsoever!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Utah allows each city to decide. Several towns around me are legal as is my own.

Mine is licensed for the road here in Arizona, but primarily for the mountains. I do get funny looks on the streets of Phoenix and am almost guaranteed to get pulled over if a cop sees me. No tickets, but it always takes them a little while to find out I'm legal. The asphalt sure wears the soft tires out fast though!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If it's legal in CO, I haven't seen anyone do it and can't find any mention of it anywhere.
    It's not. People trailer their ATV's to the trailhead. Smaller towns might look the other way if you're not riding aggressively.
    Most places want them to be like cars, so they would have to pass bumper crash tests, have turn signals, air bags, etc.
    Same reason golf carts aren't legal (most places.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links