Anyone read any of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child?

This is a discussion on Anyone read any of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just recently found these. The author is Lee Child. Main Character is a guy named Jack Reacher. He's an Ex-Army MP, Special Investigator, now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read any of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child?

Anyone read any of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child?

I just recently found these. The author is Lee Child. Main Character is a guy named Jack Reacher. He's an Ex-Army MP, Special Investigator, now out of the Army and basically a drifter. Just going where he wants and wanting to be left alone. His only real possesion is a folding toothbrush.

These are some very good shoot 'em up kick butt type novels. I have read 2 so far and am reading "Nothing to Lose" right now.

If you are a fan of this type of novel I recommend these.

I can also recommend the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connely. Bosch is an LA Detective. Also great reads.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I've read the whole series. I thought "Nothing to Lose" was his weakest effort yet. But, I am looking forward to the new one coming out in May. You don't mess with Reacher :)

I also like the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn or the "Prey" series by John Sanford.

I'll have to look into those, I'm always looking for new series for field ops and deployments. Jesse Stone and Harry Bosch were great to relax with after patrols.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I've read the whole series. I thought "Nothing to Lose" was his weakest effort yet. But, I am looking forward to the new one coming out in May. You don't mess with Reacher :)

I also like the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn or the "Prey" series by John Sanford.
    I am about half way through "Nothing to Lose" right now and it has been OK. My favorite, of the few I have read so far, has been "Bad Luck and Trouble".

Which one was your favorite if I may ask?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I read a couple of them but never did understand how being an MP was supposed to make him some kind of bada$$.The couple I read were mildly entertaining but not real compelling.

Yep, I also agree with the CPL, I like the Harry Bosch and Jesse Stone books too. I also like the Det. Dave Robicheax books, written by a guy from Iberia Parish, James Lee Burke. The Winter Massey books are good too,ex U.S. Marshal...
    When I bring you the ammo I can bring some books too Mike. I have a million.
    I'll read anything except Science Fiction, or Romance. Cereal boxes on down.

Watch it PNUT he's only a Lance.....

I've read several of the Jack Reacher books - not the best literature out there, but entertaining and a much better way to kill time than watching TV. Another author you might like for this type of book is W.E.B. Griffin

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am about half way through "Nothing to Lose" right now and it has been OK. My favorite, of the few I have read so far, has been "Bad Luck and Trouble".

Which one was your favorite if I may ask?
    They all kind of blur together for me, after a while. I read so many, I can't remember which one is which and hate it when I buy a new book, only to figure out later that I've already read it.

I seem to remember "Tripwire" and "One Shot" as standing out. His writing style is so easy to read, though. No unnecessary details or run on sentences. I also like Reachers' definition or sense of honor and justice.

The only time I read Lee Child is when I have a long flight ahead of me and nothing else to read. The premise is kind of laughable when you think about it, and not just the part about him becoming a super soldier in the MPs. He carries nothing but a toothbrush in his back pocket. What about toothpaste? What about deodorant?

On the other hand, I really like James Lee Burke and Michael Connelly.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I read them. Entertaining stuff.

The Hard Way, and One Shot (a lot of good Sniper information) were a few of my favorites.
    I'm reading Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series now (I'm on Executive Power now).
    My all time favorite has to be W.E.B. Griffith Brotherhood of War series. I felt that he really captured the career military mentality (loyalty, honor, and code). I was on a remote tour in Korea (with the USAF) at the time.

If you like CIA and Secret Service books try Brad Thor

I read all this type of book that I can. Another writer that I have found that I like real well is Brad Thor with the main character as Secret Service Agent Scot Harvath. I would suggest that you read them in order as some of the characters continue on in the next book. I still haven't read the first book, but have enjoyed the four I have read (in reverse order). First book is "The Lions of Lucerne" and the rescue of the President.

Darv

Shooter, by Stephen Hunter

I am on book 10 of the Reacher series. Were you aware that " One shot" by Childs was made into a movie featuring Tom Cruise, and filmed in Pittsburgh, Pa, my birthplace, in the fall of 2011?

I really enjoy Childs books and plan to read them all.

I would like to recommend Stephen Hunter, whose main character, Bobby Lee Swagger, was a former Marine sharp shooter retired,, but still active. One of Hunters books, "The Shooter" ( Also filmed in Pittsburgh, is enjoyable to watch

Agree that the Jesse Stone books are great, as is Tom Selleck, in the Stone movies.

Senior Moderator
    I like the Jesse Stone and Spenser novels.

But my favorite series the Travis McGee Novels by John D. MacDonald. There are 21 novels from 1964 to 1984 (MacDonald died in 1986). They are still in print and I suggest them to anyone who like Robert Parker books. One of MacDonalds books was made into the movie "Cape Fear".
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Still can't agree with casting Tom Cruise as Reacher though. I wouldnt care if Reacher's size wasn't stressed in the books. I also like The Robert Crais(Elvis Cole/Joe Pike) books
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links