Any Dr Who fans? (AKA BOO Sci-fi Channel! )

This is a discussion on Any Dr Who fans? (AKA BOO Sci-fi Channel! ) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had seen the old Dr Who series referenced by Sci-Fi fans in the past, but never checked it out. When the new series began ...

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

I had seen the old Dr Who series referenced by Sci-Fi fans in the past, but never checked it out. When the new series began on the Sci-Fi Channel a few years ago, I got hooked. Great show. The way it's worked in the past is that Sci-Fi would show the new shows,plus reruns. They also would show the Christmas special every year. BBC America would just show reruns. Now, the producers made a decision that the fifth season would be delayed until 2010, but that they would produced 5 specials during this year. On top of that, David Tennant, who plays The Doctor, has decided not to return for the fifth season, but will appear in the specials, and in the last special, he dies at the end to be regenerated into Matt Smith, who takes over the part. BBC aired the Easter special last night. Sci-Fi however hasn't even shown the special from last Christmas. Fortunately, there's a great site which links to movies and TV shows. Many are current, and a lot are older, going back to the 50's. I've watched movies that are still in the theaters. I checked the site today, and the Easter special was there, along with the Christmas special from last year. So, at least I've caught up. If there are any Dr Who fans that want the link, just PM me.

My first wife and I used to watch Dr. Who on PBS when we were courting. The Doctor back then was Tom Baker. At some point we stopped watching. But now, maybe 20 years later, I find my teenage kids have been watching it at friends' houses and are now fans.

You might want to get a copy of the BBC special done as a fund raiser for Comic Relief called "Dr Who and the Curse of Fatal Death". Features cameo appearances by Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Grant as the Doctor in successive regenerations.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    My first wife and I used to watch Dr. Who on PBS when we were courting. The Doctor back then was Tom Baker. At some point we stopped watching. But now, maybe 20 years later, I find my teenage kids have been watching it at friends' houses and are now fans.

You might want to get a copy of the BBC special done as a fund raiser for Comic Relief called "Dr Who and the Curse of Fatal Death". Features cameo appearances by Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Grant as the Doctor in successive regenerations.
    I just got it from Amazon.com. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I have to get the VCR hooked up. I haven't used a VCR now for quite a few years, between TiVo and DVDs. I'm a big fan of Rowan Atkinson, and I just finally broke down and got the entire Blackadder series (not much of a fan of Mr Bean- Rowan has such a wit with verbal media, watching him mime just was a let down. )It's hilarious. Oh, and by the way, Tom Baker played a pirate in one of the Blackadder episodes. I didn't know who he was. Now though, I've bought a lot of the old Dr, including several of his. Blackadder turned out to be something of a launching point for me. Not only was Tom Baker in it, But Hugh Laurie (Dr House) also had recurring roles, though different characters in each series.

Dr Who is anti gun.... that said I have seen almost every one that has been on SCIFI...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Tom Baker was the BEST Doctor!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Tom Baker was the BEST Doctor!
    ..... And Peri the best helper!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

EW3
    I grew up watching Tom Baker and Peter Davison on PBS and am a huge fan of the "new" Doctor Who as well.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Long time Dr. Who fan.
    Distinct differences with the Doctor's political views and philosophy.
    Tom Baker was indeed the best Doctor! I have a scarf!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Yes, the Doctor is anti gun. But that doesn't limit my enjoyment of the show. Unfortunately, I'm not a Time Lord who can regenerate if killed with a bullet. I've been watching a lot of the old dhows, buying them on DVD. I'm sure that if I had watched the show growing up, I would feel differently about the show, but I really look at the old shows, and they just don't compare to the new series. As far as companions, Rose is my favorite (and getting to see her naked in her Showtime series "The Secret Diary of a Call Girl" certainly cements Rose as my favorite companion).

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Long time Dr. Who fan.
    Distinct differences with the Doctor's political views and philosophy.
    Tom Baker was indeed the best Doctor! I have a scarf!
    Baker's scarf?? Man I'd love to have one like his!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Link?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Link?
    "Planet of the Dead", the second special, aired Saturday on the BBC, is at Searching Videos for "death the of planet" | Veoh

The First special, "The Next Dotor", aired around Christmas on the BBC, is at زʿ08ʥرƪyoukuz.cn - Ƶ - ߹ۿ -

Unfortunately, neither has been shown on Sci-Fi Channel yet. The Next Doctor can even be purchased on Amazon.com in the UK, but not here in the states.

Links