Anti gun inlaws reaction.

This is a discussion on Anti gun inlaws reaction. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the 3 years I have been dating my girl friend I have noticed that while her family is very conservative in nearly every aspect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti gun inlaws reaction.

Anti gun inlaws reaction.

In the 3 years I have been dating my girl friend I have noticed that while her family is very conservative in nearly every aspect when it comes to guns they (especially the women are flaming libs). I have gotten my GF into shooting and she really enjoys it, her dad is ok with it, her mom not so much. I invited her parents shooting and her dad said he would go but mom would (which apparently means he isn’t allowed, the women wear the pants). He has a Marlin 22lr that he hasn’t shot since they started dating.

Yesterday I had a late Easter Lunch at my in-law’s and My girl mentions that a dead uncle used to say that when she started to bring guys over he was going to wait with his shotgun. To this my gf’s grand father says “Speaking of shotguns I have one.” On hearing this I start to ask what kind, how old, when was the last time he shot it? He said the last he shot it was before WW2, he walked off and came back holding it and handed it to me. The faces on the women’s faces were priceless, like they had seen a ghost (didn’t help that I had just seen the 20/20 If I only had a gun with my mother in law ½ hour before). The first thing I did was make sure it wasn’t loaded and checked it out, a side-side double barrel 16 gauge (I think) with the 2 triggers that folds to load made in the 1920 by crescent firearms co.

My gf’s grandmother asked where that had been all these years, looking horrified that she hadn’t known. He said it had been in the closet for more than 50 years. Coolest gun, looked like it was right out of a western. I’m just happy I got to see their reaction, made my day.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    In the 3 years I have been dating my girl friend I have noticed that while her family is very conservative in nearly every aspect when it comes to guns they (especially the women are flaming libs). I have gotten my GF into shooting and she really enjoys it, her dad is ok with it, her mom not so much. I invited her parents shooting and her dad said he would go but mom would (which apparently means he isn’t allowed, the women wear the pants). He has a Marlin 22lr that he hasn’t shot since they started dating.

Yesterday I had a late Easter Lunch at my in-law’s and My girl mentions that a dead uncle used to say that when she started to bring guys over he was going to wait with his shotgun. To this my gf’s grand father says “Speaking of shotguns I have one.” On hearing this I start to ask what kind, how old, when was the last time he shot it? He said the last he shot it was before WW2, he walked off and came back holding it and handed it to me. The faces on the women’s faces were priceless, like they had seen a ghost (didn’t help that I had just seen the 20/20 If I only had a gun with my mother in law ½ hour before). The first thing I did was make sure it wasn’t loaded and checked it out, a side-side double barrel 16 gauge (I think) with the 2 triggers that folds to load made in the 1920 by crescent firearms co.

My gf’s grandmother asked where that had been all these years, looking horrified that she hadn’t known. He said it had been in the closet for more than 50 years. Coolest gun, looked like it was right out of a western. I’m just happy I got to see their reaction, made my day.
    And to think it didn't magically jump out of anyone's hands and shoot someone. You guys were very lucky.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Talk about a skeleton in the closet,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    And to think it did magically jump out of anyone's hands and shoot someone. You guys were very lucky.
    That is a good question...amazing that you were able to tame it!

Its just funny to me how some people can be so scared of a simple tool.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Earlier that day I was explaining that guns don't shoot them selves unless someone pull the trigger. Silly me, I forgot that it can "malfunction".

LOL, this was cool. My daughters boyfriend thinks i'm so cool because I have my CCL. She doesn't even want to touch a gun but my other daughter also has her CCL.

Yeah my GF loves shooting and get mad if I go without her. I haven't felt the need to tell my inlaws I have my CCP. lol

There have been MANY others within these forum walls that have had it a lot worse. Sound to me like you may have 'jelled' some backbones in that family.
    Good luck...

Stay armed...pass the ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    My fiance' parents know that I have my permit but I don't let them see me carrying unless it's OC while we ride horse. They don't seem to mind guns but aren't too interested.

Anyway, this weekend, her dad mentions about how he heard that one way to prevent a break-in is to have your car keys on your night stand so you can hit the panic button if you hear someone breaking in. I said I had a different surprise waiting for them if I heard someone breaking in our house. They just kind of chuckled and the conversation moved on.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    tinkerinWstuff
    I said I had a different surprise waiting for them if I heard someone breaking in our house. They just kind of chuckled and the conversation moved on.

Too Funny.

Getting anyone into the sport of shooting firearms is a slow process. Over the past 20 years I've tried to get my younger brother who is currently 42 into the hobby is a slow process. He has saved every paper target he shot when he went to the gun range with me. He still is hesitant to buy a gun of his own.

I understand his hesitation but eventually he will give in to the urge to have gun in his home. The trick is allowing him the time to become accustomed to assuming the responsibilites of gun ownership. He's just not ready for that step. But, I am very patient too! He eventually want a gun of his own. When that happens I'll be happy to go with him to the gun store for his first gun.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I have to agree with the calls towards patience.

As an exampl, I used to use any hint of an opening to jump into a religious discussion. I may still offer to discuss things now, but it's a far cry from the discussion-highjacking it was before. I've found that the ones who will give serious consideration to my words are the ones who have watched me in a variety of situations over a long time, and feel that my actions support what I'm saying.

Here, attention to safety and situational awareness over the long haul will go a long way to counter the charges of immaturity or instability. Be careful not to try to pick the fruit before it's ripe.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Anyway, this weekend, her dad mentions about how he heard that one way to prevent a break-in is to have your car keys on your night stand so you can hit the panic button if you hear someone breaking in. I said I had a different surprise waiting for them if I heard someone breaking in our house. They just kind of chuckled and the conversation moved on.

Yep. The "panic button" I have is located inside the trigger guard of my S&W 39-2.

Patience is the thing when dealing with those who are fearful of fireams. Just keep showing them that in the reality of things, the firearm itself is not dangerous, it is simply a tool that is useful in the defense of self and loved ones.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yep. The "panic button" I have is located inside the trigger guard of my S&W 39-2.
    Now that's a good one! Might have been a little too bold to have used in my situation but I'll have to remember that one!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links