Jobs Coming to Michigan

Jobs Coming to Michigan

This is a discussion on Jobs Coming to Michigan within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know Michigan has been really hard hit, but here's a little bit of good news. From the WSJ: By JEFF BENNETT Johnson Controls Inc. ...

Jobs Coming to Michigan

I know Michigan has been really hard hit, but here's a little bit of good news. From the WSJ:

By JEFF BENNETT

Johnson Controls Inc. will begin producing lithium-ion hybrid battery cells in Michigan next year after winning $148.5 million in state tax incentives.

The company, partnering with France's Saft Groupe , said it will spend $220 million to renovate a Johnson plant in Holland, Mich., to produce the batteries. Production should start next year with an initial output capacity of 15 million lithium-ion cells.

Batteries made by the venture will likely be used to power a Ford Motor Co. plug-in vehicle slated to hit showrooms in 2010. Ford has selected the Johnson Controls-Saft partnership as its battery supplier.

Johnson Controls' announcement, coupled with the tax credits, comes at a time when Michigan is struggling to stop the erosion of its manufacturing base and auto makers are attempting to offer electric or additional hybrid vehicles that use less gas and have lower emissions.

Other companies receiving tax credits Tuesday included LG Chem-Compact Power for a planned $200 million facility. The company produces cells for batteries used in General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet Volt, which is to go into mass production in 2010.

Additionally, A123Systems Inc. is planning to build a facility in Livonia, Mich., to supply Chrysler LLC, and KD Advanced Battery Group LLC, a joint venture with Dow Chemical Co., plans to build a plant in Midland, Mich., to make batteries for use in electric cars or hybrid vehicles.

About 500 jobs will be created by the Johnson Controls-Saft plant, said Johnson Controls Power Solutions President Alex Molinaroli.

Johnson Controls' shares closed at $16.17, up 1.1%, in 4 p.m. composite New York Stock Exchange trading.

I guess it's good news for a few...take some camping gear and get in line early!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    that's funny Johnson controls just shut down one of there plants a couple of years ago in Michigan and moved it to Mexico. So i have no respect for that company same thing with sharp tvs i don't mind things that arnt made in USA but if you move out of the country just because you are greedy and cant make enough profit, that's wrong besides china and the lead
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member
    Just wait until the EPA gets involved.....Batteries have VERY hazardous materials in them. Once the environmentalists get involved & restrict what these manufactures can do, they'll close again & move back to Mexico.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Considering that is equal about to how many jobs are lost here in one week, I guess any gain is better than a loss....
    Jenny has not been good for our state, but at least she has supported the gun owner's in signing any pro gun legislation that has crossed her desk....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links