Negligence is okay now... YAY!

This is a discussion on Negligence is okay now... YAY! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; YouTube - VolvoXC60's Channel Okay, now I saw this advertisement on YouTube for the new Volvo XC60. Now when Volvo introduced its collision alert system ...

Thread: Negligence is okay now... YAY!

YouTube - VolvoXC60's Channel

Okay, now I saw this advertisement on YouTube for the new Volvo XC60. Now when Volvo introduced its collision alert system I thought that was amazing and a great feature that all cars should probably have as it not only alerts you if you are about to hit something... but if something is about to hit you.

Now they have taken it a step further and introduced an "auto-breaking system" to stop your car in the event you were not paying attention to what was in front of you. Now I'm not saying this is a horrible idea. It will probably save lives of people that would be hit by people not paying attention. But I guess it has gotten to the point that people are so irresponsible that they need a vehicle that can make decisions for them because they are too busy not driving to drive safely.

We are almost to the point of not having to worry about anything as machines and the government will take care of us in every way. Some cars even park themselves! Hooray apathy! Hooray ignorance! Hooray negligence! Hooray!

Honestly though it is a neat idea. Don't know if I would trust it though. What if I am on the highway and crossing a lane to get to another and the car decides I need to stop or something. I'm sure they thought of that when they made it though. I know the traction and stability control in my 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS has saved me from smashing into a wall this winter on a snowpacked I-25. Oddly enough I was swerving to avoid a Volvo that was going under 30mph that decided they needed to be in front of the car going 60 immediately. Some of this new tech on cars is great. But some seems like it takes it a little too far to me.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Just making it easier for people to not pay attention.
    God Bless America!!

I agree. If you are driving - DRIVE!

me
    My problem with it is what if you NEED to hit something. If you are in a situation where you need to get out of dodge you may have to hit something, then what?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Look at the up side. When you're on the highway, and some moron in this car isn't paying attention, and the car stops in the fast lane causing you to hit it, just think of the lawsuit against Volvo.

Now they have taken it a step further and introduced an "auto-breaking system" ...
    I thought all the Yugo's were off the highways, by now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

They need a feature that makes the car pull one when someone uses a cell phone without a hands free device.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

And if I want to push a car that is stuck with mine..... and it keeps putting on the friggin brakes I'm going to be really ticked off and yanking lines out. If I want to run over the guy (in self defense) who's pointing a gun at me.... and it puts on the brakes, I hope my family sues them.

I guess I won't be able to preform the pit maneuver on slow drivers anymore.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    My problem with it is what if you NEED to hit something. If you are in a situation where you need to get out of dodge you may have to hit something, then what?
    I hadn't even thought of this. What if it is a life or death situation and you must hit something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And if I want to push a car that is stuck with mine..... and it keeps putting on the friggin brakes I'm going to be really ticked off and yanking lines out. If I want to run over the guy (in self defense) who's pointing a gun at me.... and it puts on the brakes, I hope my family sues them.
    Although I seriously doubt you are going to use your $53,000 (loaded) car to push someones clunker off the road but that may just be me. But running someone over may be necessary you never know.

The auto breaks are an option on the vehicle and I would seriously hope it would have an override switch just like my traction and stability control does on my Corolla. I just don't see how it is good to make people feel like they don't have to pay as much attention while driving.

+1 United93
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Let's just hope this doesn't get made into law like the stupid tire pressure monitoring systems. It does NOT work correctly with my offroad tires, and I can't disable the thing.

I'm pretty against making laws to save people from themselves.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I agree with you there C9H. Does your TPMS have an alarm? If not I'm sure you could pull the bulb from the instrument cluster or something... but then you have to take it apart... could put a piece of electrical tape over the light.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have been saying this for years (literally): "Volvo: our cars are safe so our drivers don't have to be."
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sponsored Links