I'm Back! South Africa AAR

This is a discussion on I'm Back! South Africa AAR within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow, it was a long trip, ya'll, but I am back! South Africa was definitley a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I don't want to take up a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Back! South Africa AAR

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

I'm Back! South Africa AAR

Wow, it was a long trip, ya'll, but I am back! South Africa was definitley a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

I don't want to take up a ton of bandwith here at DC, so I'm diligently uploading photos and such to my blog, I'll post the link later.

Highlights: We're getting our boarding passes, and I notice this huge guy wearing an NRA logo jacket, carrying rifles, and has an NRA duffel bag with him. Guess who I got to sit next to on the whole flight? *happy dance* So of course, he's an LEO, also a FFL dealer, and definitely pro CCW and 2A! We had a nice long talk, he was on his way with his two sons to their 1st safari! I hope they had a great trip, they were such a nice family!

Our resort had baby giraffes and a million different types of bok/buck there, so every morning, we got to see native wildlife drinking at the pond outside our private cabin. It was incredible! Later, we went to a reserve and I got to play with an adult male tame cheetah, Eddie, and hold 90-day-old lion cubs! One started chewing on my son's shirt and accidentally chewed on him! It didn't break the skin, but left a nice, mouth-shaped bruise, so now my son brags to everyone how he was "bitten by a lion" and shows them! LOL!

After the game park, we went to this place called "Carnivore" where the cook local wildlife, so we got to see gorgeous animals, and then taste them that night! I loved it. Didn't care for crocodile too much, but it could be that there was a ton of spinal chord in my piece. I loved the wildebeast, blessbok, springbok, antelope, and especially the kudu. Ostrich was tasty, but I normally eat that here stateside.

Met an actual Zulu, that was very cool! Also bought some authentic African crafts, including a Zulu bow and arrows, and a ketty, which is kind of like a slingshot.

Got lost in the bushfeldt with no water. Oops! Came down with a sore throat that night, but it was worth it! Saw baby zebra nursing on the mares while we were lost! Oh, and also some very cool, very large poison spiders! (I like bugs, I think they are fascinating.)

Met amazing people, ate amazing food, learned some new words, and had a fantastic trip overall! Ten days was not enough, we can't wait to go back!

There were a LOT of things there though, like the civil unrest, the abject poverty, the high crime, etc, that made me so very VERY glad to be home. God Bless America!

(pictures and link to follow)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome Home Bunny!!

How jetlagged are we??

Looking forward to the pics and more info!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Welcome back Bunny. Sounds like a great trip!

Lead Moderator
    Glad you enjoyed your trip, sounds fantastic.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Okay, here are some from our "hotel." We stayed at the Kloofzicht, which is actually a 5-star resort. It's a main lodge where they have the restaurant and wedding facilities, and the rest of the place is this huge, massive game preserve with these private lodges that you stay at. It was fantastic!

Here's one of the lodges opposite ours, and the view across the mini-oasis:

My son, the photog:

View of the "watering hole" where every morning, the giraffes and various buck/bok would come and drink. This was maybe 100 yards from our cabin.

The bar at the oasis, centered in the midst of all the cabins. (No, hardly anyone was there, I never saw the bar actually opened. It was peaceful and quiet every night.)

I think our cabin was just to the left of this:

This was on the side of our cabin. The mountains you see in the background is the bushfeldt where went hiking with our hosts (and got lost for 4 1/2 hours in the hot African sun!) the first full day we were there.

VIP Member
    Shame you didn't enjoy yourselves!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Bunny,

Let us know how to go to your blog to read and see more.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ah, no white rhino's? :(

Sounds like an amazing trip. It's on my short list of places to visit.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Join the mile high club?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Join the mile high club?
    Pics??

VIP Member
    Thank You for sharing. Very Nice.

Bunny Blog

First post is up. I have literally HUNDREDS of photos, and it's taking some time to weed through and reformat them, so check back daily and I'll keep putting up some new stuff. Enjoy! :)

Cool, sounds like an awesome trip.

Photos parts 1 and 2 are up now. More to come, I can only format and upload so many before my eyes glaze over. Bunny Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links