New company policy - No weapons or firearms

This is a discussion on New company policy - No weapons or firearms within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I came in the office this morning and someone has placed a new Employment Manual at everyone's desk. I start reading it and I ...

Thread: New company policy - No weapons or firearms

New company policy - No weapons or firearms

Well, I came in the office this morning and someone has placed a new Employment Manual at everyone's desk. I start reading it and I see that the words "Firearms, weapons, and other dangerous..." has been added to the section of "Workplace Violence Protection".

Good thing today is my last day here

The way this company has been treating people the fact that there are some of us, and I am not the only one, who have CHL (and many former military) and carry regularly is the only true "workplace Violence Protection" policy they have actually had.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Dont look back. Since you are leaving, let them know how you feel. ( but dont burn bridges)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I am sooo glad I am the chief, cook, bottle washer and sole employee of my own home business.
    My boss does not allow me to come to work unarmed
    Sorry to hear the bad news Paco.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Your leaving... good riddance to them. I agree, tell them that their policy is nonsense.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have thought about simply telling the HR lady, who is very nice and I know this decision was above her pay grade. I have thought of just mentioning it to her, she knows me and that I am former Army and that I have a clean and trustworthy background and disposition, all that to say she probably won't get freaked out by my simply mentioning it.

Or I might just leave it alone since there will be many other things we talk about as my reasons for leaving the company.

As a Combat Engineer I trained to blow up bridges, but as a professional IT guy I don't want to burn any.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Senior Moderator
    Since you're leaving it won't be a problem for you, but it would still be good if you could 'enlighten' them about the folly of the policy.

I have a similar problem where I work (TN community college) and I can't bring a gun onto school property even if it's unloaded and locked in the trunk. So I'm unarmed on my way to and from school and anywhere else I have to go before or after school.

There is a glimmer of hope that a bill will be passed that does allow a non-student to have a gun in his car. That would resolve the problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Since you're leaving it won't be a problem for you, but it would still be good if you could 'enlighten' them about the folly of the policy.

I have a similar problem where I work (TN community college) and I can't bring a gun onto school property even if it's unloaded and locked in the trunk. So I'm unarmed on my way to and from school and anywhere else I have to go before or after school.

There is a glimmer of hope that a bill will be passed that does allow a non-student to have a gun in his car. That would resolve the problem.
    I have to drive through (no kidding, in one side and out the other) an Air Force base to get to work. No weapons for me either. After work I always have to decide weather to save gas and run errands unarmed or drive home first to get the EDC.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I just had my exit interview and I asked her what it meant and to elaborate for me. She said that that policy was always there, I told her it was not, at least the actual wording, which she admitted the wording of the policy had changed.

I told her they just restricted almost every IT guy in the World, and the warehouse guys too. I asked what the last part meant, "without proper authorization." I asked if that meant a letter or if someone was licensed, her response was yes if they are licensed that is OK. I suggested she look at the wording again, then I got my last check and split WOOHOO!!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Hey atleast you didnt have issues before you split, and it maybe taken care of after you leave. Good luck.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have to drive through (no kidding, in one side and out the other) an Air Force base to get to work. No weapons for me either. After work I always have to decide weather to save gas and run errands unarmed or drive home first to get the EDC.
    As an ATC type...you wouldn't be able to carry or have in the vehicle anyway...correct?

Rick

A lot of employers re-iterate their employee rules and regs just before a major layoff. Like that's really going to keep a disgruntled employee from coming back and going postal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    As an ATC type...you wouldn't be able to carry or have in the vehicle anyway...correct?

Rick
    At my last tower I could leave my pistol in my car. I parked in a public lot. So no, not into work but it was nice to have for afterward.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Paco,

Stand for what's right, just do it in a gentleman's way.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I am sooo glad I am the chief, cook, bottle washer and sole employee of my own home business.
    My boss does not allow me to come to work unarmed
    Sorry to hear the bad news Paco.
    AMEN. I'm required by my employer to be armed each and every day.
    Of course...vacations and time off are slim to none, and slim left town but I wouldn't have it any other way
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

The good news is that you are out of there......however, I would not say a word to anyone. Anything you do say could travel to your next place of employment, or make things worse for any of your friends who remain. Why stir anything up? Just move on...

Stay armed...never burn bridges...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links