The new veterans backlash?

This is a discussion on The new veterans backlash? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; folks, is there a growing, palpable anti-veteran sentiment growing out there among certain groups? We have a powerful government entity labeling veterans as a potential ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new veterans backlash?

folks, is there a growing, palpable anti-veteran sentiment growing out there among certain groups? We have a powerful government entity labeling veterans as a potential danger to the security of the state. We also have certain institutions of higher learning having training videos of "angry veterans" posing a danger to their teachers.

It is not as direct as the words "baby killer" suffered by our Vets that served in Viet Nam but there seems to be something more insidious efforts of the left to label vets as a unstable, angry group.

or am I just being paranoid? wuz' going on here.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

VIP Member
    Maybe we are angry.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

And I thought it was only our Government calling us names.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

If I see someone spit on a Soldier, Sailor, Airmen or Marine, I may just have to open up a can of whoop azz.

Oh, wait, someone edit that, I may be labeled an extremist.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    It is not as direct as the words "baby killer" suffered by our Vets that served in Viet Nam...
    When I graduated from Navy boot camp at RTC Great Lakes (2006) when me and my friends went out into Chicago for some R&R, we were called "baby killer" and had bottles thrown at us... only one bottle thrown hit someone, and it wasn't any of us but some poor lady that was minding her own business pushing a stroller (no one was injured). So I wouldn't be surprised if there was some 'new' veterans backlash as you put it.

And on our part, cooler heads prevailed and we didn't retaliate, we just made sure the lady was okay and went on and enjoyed the day.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    When I graduated from Navy boot camp at RTC Great Lakes (2006) when me and my friends went out into Chicago for some R&R, we were called "baby killer" and had bottles thrown at us... only one bottle thrown hit someone, and it wasn't any of us but some poor lady that was minding her own business pushing a stroller (no one was injured). So I wouldn't be surprised if there was some 'new' veterans backlash as you put it.

And on our part, cooler heads prevailed and we didn't retaliate, we just made sure the lady was okay and went on and enjoyed the day.
    On our few hours of leave a couple days before graduation we had some people cuss us out and some spit at our feet.

We also had a lot of people come up and thank us. It is an incredible feeling being thanked by a WWII vet. The positive, true Americans really outweighed the jackasses.

VIP Member
    The positive, true Americans really outweighed the jackasses.
    The problem is that the jackasses are the loudest.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

There will always be idiots out there that are somewhat anti-military. I don't let that get to me. As a vet myself, I won't allow this negative attitude get to me. They are not worth it.

If you're a vet, hold your head high! You've earned the respect of your fellow vets out here. I would like to think that there are more people who appreciate vets than insult us.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I think the majority of Americans have a deep respect for veterans, but I'm afraid it might be the silent majority. As RoadRunner71 says above, the jackasses are the loudest. And apparently that includes the new department of homeland security secretary.

And I'd have to agree with MeatPuppet on that can of whoop azz! I'm sure if things get too far out of hand with this, then the majority will make their presence known!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

The vast majority of people I've met in my life are very respectful of veterans. These are the people I appreciate the most.

In my immediate family my Dad, myself & younger brother enlisted in the USAF. We all enjoyed our time in the military.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

To think that the very men and women that have been protecting our country are all of a sudden a threat is insane. They have said that the people that attend tea parties, listen to Hannity, and listen to Limbaugh are now a threat.
    These are real Americans showing concern for their country and they should. Anyone who considers these people a "threat", to me, is Anti-American. This is a feable attempt to silence anyone that doesn't think like a liberal. I guess these are the folks they want to stuff in the new concentration camps that have been built to contain 200,000 Americans during the coming civil unrest that some people are talking about. Patriots...... the new terrorists.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Well when you put it like that budokaitd. I guess military types are a threat... a threat to the liberal agenda. A threat in a way that we would be the ones leading a revolution if it ever became necessary. So I guess in that regard... we are a threat... to the people that are against the American way of life and what the constitution stands for.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

many mango season ago when i got back in county i was called a baby killer. but that was a different war and time. but i saw that we as a country was at the start of bad things to come. now we are in a "world of s***" and it will get worst before it get better. before it is all over this country will be split 50/50.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by MeatPuppet View Post
    If I see someone spit on a Soldier, Sailor, Airmen or Marine, I may just have to open up a can of whoop azz.

Oh, wait, someone edit that, I may be labeled an extremist.
    In my case it would have to be a 55 gal. drum! I don't suppose I would really physically assualt anyone for such behavior, but if they spit at, or in the direction of a vet, after I called 911 to get a cop on the scene, I would spend my time and money to see them prosectued!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    In my case it would have to be a 55 gal. drum! I don't suppose I would really physically assualt anyone for such behavior, but if they spit at, or in the direction of a vet, after I called 911 to get a cop on the scene, I would spend my time and money to see them prosectued!
    I very well might! While I myself was unable to enlist, I come from a long line of military men going back to at least WWII. The idea of some punk spitting on any American Veteran makes my blood boil. I consider it an insult to all those who fought and died simply because their country asked them to.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links