How to talk to the masses?

This is a discussion on How to talk to the masses? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Subject may be a little off but i didnt know how to put it so here goes... I am currently deployed as some of you ...

Thread: How to talk to the masses?

Lightbulb How to talk to the masses?

Subject may be a little off but i didnt know how to put it so here goes...

I am currently deployed as some of you may know, and i work in a very small section. There are seven of us total. So in our off time, we are always together and we have lots of time to get to know each other and have discussions/debates.

Well in our time together the guys have come to know of my love for all things gun related and all things related to defensive carry/home defense. The problem is (and i know you cant change everyones minds) none of them take this topic seriously and basically laugh at me or call me paranoid or what have you. I am almost a laughing stock.

And this coming from people in the military, in a combat mos! I cant understand why the topic of defending ones self or loved ones is taken so lightly, especially by people who have seen combat. Anyways, im not trying to really change anyones mind, just want to be able to bring up some good points in discussion to help validate my opinions you know?

Just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas of how to maybe get them off my back and maybe get them to see the light, Even if it is only a candle light lol. Any input will be helpful. Thanks
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ask them this, Are the BG only here where you are deployed? Just leave it at that, dont say another word. A question usually works better then an argument, or a point.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Considering where they are now, I'm sure they feel very safe when they're home. And I doubt that any one of them has ever been in a situation at home that required self-defense.

I ask myself the same question once in a while. "Am I being paranoid, or just prepared." The answer always comes back, "prepared."

Just remind them that they don't go into combat unprepared, why should they be unprepared back home?

Dead thread already?
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I wouldn't try to "sell" it to them. It takes time and personal experience to get "warmed up" to the idea of carrying. There are many facets of people who own and carry gun. Some own them, and shoot thousands of rounds and the range and in competition, but would never carry it outside of the range. Others own guns for necessity, hunting, or just to collect them.

I didn't use to feel the need or desire to own and carry a gun. The idea grew on my over time. 10 years ago, I may have been one of your guys. There are plenty of military people who do not own guns and feel that it is just not necessary to own and carry one while off duty.

All the studies I have seen (including those used by the NRA) show that you have a good chance to use your gun once or twice in your lifetime (as an average civilian). During those times, it may or may not help to have a gun. It is up to everybody to decide if these are odds they are willing to take. I decided it is worthwhile for me to carry. But the 2nd amendment is a right, not a duty to carry.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

In that group you'll find some that will argue as to why and not wear a seatbelt.

It hasn't happened to them (car accident, home invasion) or someone they care about.

Just like all security plans, they aren't implemented until something happens and then, it's too late.

Just do what you think is right for you and yours.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Not long ago, I had an encounter with a Sheriff's patrol deputy in a major metropolitan area that didn't know squat about guns... struck me as odd that someone I might call to my house for a burglar knew less about guns than I do and didn't even know what model of Glock was issued...

You are gonna meet people like this for the foreseeable future... protect your family...

Oh... I find myself saying this more and more these days...

Thanks for your service...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I don't have a direct answer to your question but that same question is what provoked me to create my Small Armz site. I do what I can.

Consider the teachings of Lt. Col. Dave Grossman: click. He has BTDT and has specific recommendations for pulling the finger out and improving one's security mindset.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links