E-mail letter to a certain U.S. representative on eliminating piracy

This is a discussion on E-mail letter to a certain U.S. representative on eliminating piracy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (Mod, move this post to another forum where appropriate if deemed improper in the current forum.) Thank you for your response to the problem of ...

(Mod, move this post to another forum where appropriate if deemed improper in the current forum.)

Thank you for your response to the problem of piracy with your offer of a solution in form of Letters of Marque and Reprisal.

However, I believe U.S. Navy's response to the hostage situation has cost the American taxpayers to the tune of a million dollars or more, just to eliminate the target and rescue.

May I suggest developing a bill that grants Captains and Assistants the right to bear arms after proof of extensive training in firearm safety, pistol/rifle target shooting and tactical response and absence of significant criminal history and mental illness, for the purpose of defense to prevent and eliminate hijacking by the hostile enemy in international water.

I know international maritime law prohibit the right to possess arms even by seasoned American cargo ship captains, with laws of the countries where the ports are that make such right null and void.

I believe that U.S. must assert the right to protect its citizens as exemplified by U.S. Navy's swift response to the crisis by passing the bill that asserts qualified U.S. citizens' inalienable right to be armed in case of hijacking by rogue enemies.

The qualified citizens will be expected to take the responsibility of firearm bearing and ownership seriously that should not be misused in any situation such as dispute, but must be used against the target that attempts to occupy the American ships for the purpose of demanding ransom and/or looting.

[Name], please bring this idea to the attention of the Congress and tell them that to avert further crises that would cost millions of dollars in more resources to defeat piracy using the employment of the naval military forces that could be needed to patrol and protect elsewhere, granting the veteran ship captains the full right to be armed is an urgent situation that should eliminate the crisis of piracy to oblivion.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I know international maritime law prohibit the right to possess arms even by seasoned American cargo ship captains, with laws of the countries where the ports are that make such right null and void.
    This is incorrect. International maritime law does not prohibit weapons, it is the ports of call that do. The merchant ship that I sailed on, the captain had a pistol. But rumor had it, that it was for mutinies, not pirates. Back then piracy wasn't as bad as it is today though. It still happened, but it wasn't that common.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I want to know, "WHERE ARE THE F-18s"? Seems to me that one distress call at the beginning of an incident, 10 minutes later F-18s arrive and solve the problem. Any "Mother Ships" lurking in the area could also be taken care of. Piracy would end if this consistently happened. I say "TO HELL WITH WORLD OPINION" on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    I want to know, "WHERE ARE THE F-18s"? Seems to me that one distress call at the beginning of an incident, 10 minutes later F-18s arrive and solve the problem. Any "Mother Ships" lurking in the area could also be taken care of. Piracy would end if this consistently happened. I say "TO HELL WITH WORLD OPINION" on this.
    "Hear hear..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    Exactly the way it should happen. It's hard to find good training for our Navy, especially with live targets. Piracy should be fought with the same intensity as they did in the 18th and 19th century.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    As a Vet, and part of a military family. When it comes to people that really get our blood pumping in the not so nice way are Snipers, and Pirates. As my family has had to deal with both, we see both as something you hit with every thing you have, and then call in airsupport to carpet bomb. That is the only way we learned how to deal with both.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    International maritime law does not prohibit weapons, it is the ports of call that do.
    So does anyone know US pilots that are licenses to carry firearms in the cockpit do so on international flights? Seems like a similar case... pilots are trained and screened and then allowed to be armed in the cockpit to prevent someone from taking control of the plane. If our TSA thinks it's good for planes, why not boats?

Links