Speed camera prank. Never thought of this as a kid

This is a discussion on Speed camera prank. Never thought of this as a kid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Speed camera prank in Montgomery County, Maryland is being used by high school students to exact revenge on teachers. The prank is called the Speed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed camera prank. Never thought of this as a kid

Speed camera prank in Montgomery County, Maryland is being used by high school students to exact revenge on teachers. The prank is called the Speed Camera "Pimping" game. Students clone the teacher's license plate by printing the numbers on glossy photo paper with type fonts that "mimic" those used on Maryland license plates. Students obtain a vehicle that's similar or identical to the make and model of the car owned by the targeted victim from their friends. They tape the photo paper over the license plate and then purposefully speed past a speed ticket camera. The victim then receives a ticket in the mail. The entire premise behind the Speed Camera Program is being brought to light by this student prank. "I hope the public at large will complain loudly enough that local Montgomery County government officials will change their policy of using these cameras for monetary gain," one parent said. "The practice of sending speeding tickets to faceless recipients without any type of verification is unwarranted and an exploitation of our rights." Montgomery County Council President Phil Andrews said that the pranks "will cause potential problems for the Speed Camera Program in terms of the confidence in it

VIP Member
    I wonder how the "pranksters" parents are going to take it when they get caught and have to pay the price for their little prank. IANAL but I would think they could be charged with counterfeiting license plate or at least altering them for criminal purposes.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Now that just plain sucks. Seems to me that this could be a form of identity theft. It just isnt fair to impose a fine on somebody who didnt commit the infraction. Some peoples kids.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    It is pretty ingenious...what will they think of next. Reminds me of the senior prank of 3 piglets, painting the numbers 1, 2, and 4, then letting them loose at lunch time. Took them days trying to find #3...till they findly gave up.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Not suprising.

That speed camera is the judge and the jury. What it sees it what you get.

I never did like the idea. Leave that crap to England, not here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Now that just plain sucks. Seems to me that this could be a form of identity theft.
    It is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Wow, on the same side here

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not suprising.

That speed camera is the judge and the jury. What it sees it what you get.

I never did like the idea. Leave that crap to England, not here.
    I don't like these speed cameras, red light cameras, or surveillance of downtown areas cameras at all.

The idea sounds good, until you think about the kind of prank just described.

There is no substitute for the human judgment of an officer on the spot at the time the event happened.

Out town is big on red light cameras. They issue thousands of "citations" every month.

I'm all for preventing red light running, but this is just a revenue generating scam. And no, I've not been caught. No tickets for me since 1971.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Do you have a source? newspaper link? I googled this and only found it on blogs.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Legitimacy aside, it's certainly plausible and therefore the possibility should be addressed.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

A friend of mine that is actually a member on this forum works in the automated traffic enforcement office for Montgomery County Police. I will have to ask him about it. Part of what he does is the "reassignments" with the courts.
    But this sort of thing is not new. When we first got the red light cameras an officer went and took the tags off their station commander's unmarked cruiser and slapped them on an identical fleet car and ran through every red light camera in their district.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    We punted photo radar in B.C. about ten years ago. Just a tax grab!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I don't think they should be used.... period. These types of things, as well as... there is no proof on who was driving the car. Only the 'offender' should be ticketed... and it takes an LEO on site to determine that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't think they should be used.... period. These types of things, as well as... there is no proof on who was driving the car. Only the 'offender' should be ticketed... and it takes an LEO on site to determine that.
    Yep, just remember Timothy McVeigh (sp?) was caught during a traffic stop!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The only problem with with the prank (if it's even real) is that the photos are high res enough to make out who's behind the wheel. If you were not driving at the time of the ticket contest it, go to traffic court and make them show you the photo to prove you were driving the car. I'm pretty sure they have to keep the photo for so long for legal reasons.

Also I think when they send you the ticket they include a copy of the photo. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it wasn't you behind the wheel.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I would like a source. I have a court date early next month where I'm challenging a photo ticket. I expect I'll lose, but I have nothing to lose by challenging it. I have a few angles I plan on arguing. A legit source here could help.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links