Sniper BUNNY!

This is a discussion on Sniper BUNNY! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Remember my AAR on the 1st trip to the range? Well yesterday was my CCW class and then after we were done, my instructors (who ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper BUNNY!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Sniper BUNNY!

Remember my AAR on the 1st trip to the range? Well yesterday was my CCW class and then after we were done, my instructors (who are quite possibly the coolest guys on the planet and definitely some of my new favorite people) let me try out some different types of guns again.

They have wicked senses of humor, though after reading the following, my husband is wary of letting me watch Top Sniper marathons anymore.

Here is my instructor's AAR:

Mrs. *** ****** had contacted VSC about taking the N.C. Concealed Carry Class, she also inquired about going over the basics of pistol shooting before taking the CCW class. I must say it was a pleasure working with Sharis at the range.

This is a great example of having the proper attitude and a willingness to learn, and it doesn’t hurt that she is not scared of any

of the firearms we gave her to shoot. Sharis started off with a safety briefing then shooting fundamentals. She was shooting a 22LR pistol and within minutes was shooting 1”, 5-round groups at 3 yards, we moved on to the Glock 9mm again 1”groups.

We asked if she wanted to shoot a 45 and with no hesitation “Sure!” she says. This might have been a bit much, but only because of her injuries from the dog attack. It started raining so we moved under cover and continued to work on fundamentals. We took a break so I could work on speed reloads with a shotgun; I saw her eyeing the shotgun so I said “Do you want to shoot it?” and she replies “Of course” so she shot the 12 gauge also. There was a guy sighting in a Remington 700 PSS and he noticed she was up for shooting anything so he offered to let her shoot. The Remington is a high powered 308 so she goes right after it with no problem. Well this brings us to today. Sharis comes to take the N.C. Concealed Carry Class the qualification was very easy for her. She got a little cocky and made a few head shots on target also. Then we get out the Evil AR15. Jeff worked with her on function and Natural Point of Aim. Below you will see Sharis’ art skills on the target (this might need a little work). At 50 yards the 2 shots to the right of the red triangle was within 2”. At 50 yards again 3 rounds within 1.5” to the left of red triangle. We moved back to 110 yards to shoot 10 rounds at the red square. All the rounds on Sharis’ art work at the bottom of the target were already there so she put 10 rounds within a little less than 4” at 110 yards.

2. Remove Ads

My only disagreement with his report is this: I wasn't cocky, I didn't know we didn't get points for head shots. I "made" two eyes and a nose. If I was cocky, I would have "made" a mouth in the target as well, right?

(And I'm only married to an artist, I never claimed any actual art skill. It's a wonder I can sign my own name legibly half the time!)

Here's the target. This was my qual for the CCW class:

Congratulations on the great shooting. Sounds like a great experience! The right introduction to new gear takes the right people, but it can set up a love of shooting for a lifetime.

Recently, I had a similar great experience with a friend. Being from Mexico, he rarely gets an opportunity to fire anything.

He had never shot much other than his revolver, a Glock 19 9mm, and a single-shot shotgun. Nothing else. No 12ga shotguns. No lever-action rifles. Very few pistols. So, we loaded up the car and headed to the range for an extended session.

We began with an overview of safety, focusing on the four safety rules, the layout of the range, the basic range rules (hot, cold, where ammo was to be used/avoided, etc).

His eyes lit up with the choices of hardware he was about to shoot:
    • CZ P-01 9mm pistol
    • Kahr CW9 9mm pistol
    • Marlin 1894CP .357mag lever-action rifle
    • Rossi 1892 .44mag lever-action rifle
    • Springfield M1 Carbine .30cal
    • Remington 870P 12ga shotgun

It's appalling how many rounds we fired, given the run on ammo, but then the smile and satisfaction on his face was priceless.

We started with the Kahr, doing a basic field strip and cleaning. (He's an engineer, by training.) I described how to basically keep them clean, how they operated, and compared the actions/function of each. We then compared the CZ P-01 (ie, DA/SA vs striker-fired, 14rd double-stack vs 7rd single-). For each gun, we did a simple disassembly, cleaning, bore snake and lube.

For each gun, we ran a range of ammo through it, from mild "range" rounds to hot carry or hunting rounds.

For having rarely shot guns, he was a magician with the M1 carbine at about 30yds, shooting more accurately than I. It goes without saying that he took a couple of targets with him.

He was sober and reserved after seeing what five quick rounds of 12ga could do, imagining how devastating it would be to an inbound attacker. He and I had a good discussion about having the mindset and will to protect our loved ones. He's got a wife and 3yr old daughter at home, and a mind to protect them. Coming from a different country, he's got a different wad of propaganda to wade through, and differing levels of availability and criminality/stigma associated with firearms. It was a great discussion. We just spoke simply of the reality, and kept politics and rantings well out of it. He thinks a lot like we do, more or less.

With the 2-3/4" #1 Buck out of the 12ga, he couldn't imagine the kick that the 3" #00 would have done. We both passed on that, as the new 1892 .44mag had us both a bit bruised.

I'll need to do something about putting a pad on the 1892, since it's a bit raw with the metal plate. Too much for my tastes, though it's an amazingly well-balanced gun. It'll be perfect after seeing the gunsmith.

He's still chattering on about the session, and that was weeks ago. Loved every minute of it ... bruised shoulder and all.

The pictures we took and targets he brought back to show his 3yr old daughter were icing on the cake. A friend of his has now offered to teach the 3yr old at the local range, if she's game. I've got a set of Eddie Eagle training materials heading their way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Seems like you really had a great time shooting a nice variety of firearms and handled all of them quite well. Kudos.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Great shooting,I taught my wife by starting on a 22 she now shoots everything including full autos,and really likes my M&P 45 compact
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nice shooting...

(My wife is not this far in her shooting desires...but we're working on it.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Excellent.

Judging by that smile, it looks like you had fun.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good shooting. Looks like fun!

I assume you received your CCW permit, so congrats!

Looks like loads (pun intended) of fun and it shows in your smile and the smile on the target.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Nice shooting!

I like the head shots..Nice touch
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks! :)

I'm not sure what the groupings mean and all. I just know it was a thrill and if I wasn't hooked before, I DEFINITELY am now!

Also, just convinced the hubby to take HIS CCW class now! I'm signing him up right away. He was so excited by my "tales from the range" that he's all fired up (pun intended) to start learning and carrying too. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Thanks! :)

I'm not sure what the groupings mean and all.
    "Groups" means that you shot where you were pointing the weapon and could repeat what you did for how ever many shots were fired.

IOW, you hit what you aimed at. And you could consistently repeat your point of aim/point of impact within the measurement of the group size. The smaller the group the better the marksmanship.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Nice shooting Bunny!!!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you had fun and get to try a lot of different weapons!

and of course the Green Lantern shirt!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links