Question for active LEOs

Question for active LEOs

This is a discussion on Question for active LEOs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have some questions regarding my pursuit of a career in law enforcement. I little background. When I was 19 I joined the army. I ...

Question for active LEOs

I have some questions regarding my pursuit of a career in law enforcement. I little background. When I was 19 I joined the army. I graduated basic but never started AIT, discharged with an ELS Performance and Conduct. Fast forward 15 years. Journeyman Machine Repair Mechanic, Associates Degree in Industrial Technology 3.697 G.P.A. No criminal record, no tickets, Concealed Pistol License. I am sending away for my discharge paper since I lost it recently. Since my discharge was less than honorable but it was because of my failure to adapt as a teen/young adult would it be next to impossible for my to find a job as a LEO? Am I setting myself up for failure even trying to get into the Police Academy?

i dont think there will be a problem, as long as it wasent dishonorable which it isnt. They will ask about it, but just be honest and im sure it will be fine. Now some dept. though require an honorable if youve served, just contact there HR department and ask.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Administrator
    It may very well be a problem with some departments, but you have put some time in between. As long as you don't have any other issues that might indicate a pattern, you should be fine. But to expect to get bounced from a few processes because of that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you for the replies thus far. As far as I can tell the ELS means that I have not actually served. I have read on some other forums that some departments will not accept applicants with anything other than honorable discharges but other people work with LEOs with ELSs. I was just hoping that even though it may be an obstacle it wont be insurmountable. Other than the ELS I have nothing else as far as a record and I have held a steady job for 12 of those 15 years. I completed my 4 year apprenticeship in 3 years and 4 months while attending college and working 50-65+ hours a week.
    Last edited by chains1240; April 22nd, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: edited for spelling

Links