Living in Tennessee??

This is a discussion on Living in Tennessee?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, my Wife and I have been talking about moving out of FL. We talked about the different places that we both liked. Tennessee is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in Tennessee??

Living in Tennessee??

Well, my Wife and I have been talking about moving out of FL. We talked about the different places that we both liked. Tennessee is where we both agreed would be a beautiful place to move. We have 2 children 9 and 7 years old.

She is currently working for Lockheed Martin here in FL. I was working for them as well before being laid off about 2 months ago. The Defense Contracts are now taking a big hit, thus lay-offs.

I have heard from a few people that lived in TN. say that it's a tough place to live especially if you aren't from the area. Jobs? I know it's tough all over the country, but how are the jobs there? Both of us have been in manufacturing for many years and I have about 5 years background in Technical work, mainly help desk type work.

We have been and stayed a few nights just outside of Nashville and really enjoyed the area. If we were to move, it would be somewhere in between Nashville and Knoxville (don't want to live in either city, maybe 30+ miles or so away). We aren't too crazy about Memphis. Of course good schools would be a big factor as well.

To sum it up, we are looking for a nice area to raise the kids and an area that has decent jobs with benefits. We would be looking for a 3 bedroom house to rent. We all enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing, camping, hiking, bike riding, shooting and golf.

If someone could shed some light on these areas, I would be much obliged!

Thanks for your time and input!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I LOVE Tennessee!
    I moved here a couple years ago from upstate NY. (yeah, I'm a Damn yankee).
    We first lived in West Knoxville, and now live in Cleveland, just north of Chattanooga.
    There are three pretty distinct regions in TN. East (where I live), Middle and West. East TN is beautiful. Mountains, parks, etc.

I also like Nashville, especially with the music scene, but it's a little "too much" to live there for me.

I haven't been to Memphis, but I don't hear alot good about it, from the micro economy to crime. I'm sure there are nice areas, but I'd be cautious.

State wide our economy is hurting too, though arguably not as bad as other states. Manufacturing as a whole is down, but here in the Chattanooga area my construction company is busy building several facilities for Alstom Power, Volkswagon and Wacker to name a few.

PM me if you have any specif questions I can help with.

i second Arko, cleveland is the place

Arko, I'm actually from N.Y. as well. Newburgh are to be exact. I don't know if you know where that is or not. It's about 60 miles north of NYC. I was raised in the farm country of N.Y. Grew up throwing bales of hay and milking cows. I wouldn't change it for the world!

Pleased to meet you sir!

My son and DIL live in-between Nashville and Knoxville-center of the state roughly off I-40. Beautiful area. Lots of parks and falls. Don't know much about the job situation.

Housing and land costs are less than FL.
    Gun friendly mostly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I live in the dreaded Memphis area. I moved 3 miles east across the Fayette county line.

TN is very gun friendly. Cost of living low. The permit is a CARRY permit, not a CCW. So you do not have to worry about it showing, or if you want, you can open carry. It is a must issue, does not matter what you carry. You have a class 1st to take. We have the Castle Law. Also we have a law that states if you carry where you should not carry (bar) and you have to use the weapon in self-defense, they will not go back and charge you with illegal carry. AND if you know the right people, you can get your permit in 24 hours like the X Speaker of the House did when he wanted to look pro-gun.

As far as cost of living....

Only some city's have inspection.

There are City and County property taxes

There are state and county sales taxes.

No state income tax.

No school taxes, that comes from County, and City Taxes.

Average price of home depends on where you go. I have 5 acres and a 2,700 SQFT and it is valued at about $128,000. My taxes run about 350.00 a year. But I live in the county.

My Son and Daughter, both went to public schools. My son finished 7th in the class, and received scholarship to UT. My Daughter was Valedictorian, and received scholarship to any where she wanted to go. She took Memphis. Both were in the Governor’s school program, and in the gifted program.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Very good info so far! Thanks to all that posted thus far. Keep it coming!

Middle TN is nice...we have seasons...sometimes all in the same day :-)
    It was in the upper 30s this morning and should top out around 78.
    I run my own business so I'm not up on the job market. We have a few defence related industries around, depends on what you're looking for.
    Take a look here:
    Nashville jobs, Nashville careers at Nashville Job List
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Hey Glockfan!
    I do know where that is. roughly, anyway. I grew up in Utica/Syracuse.

If you liked upstate life, you'd like any of the smaller cites here, like Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post

Average price of home depends on where you go. I have 5 acres and a 2,700 SQFT and it is valued at about $128,000. My taxes run about 350.00 a year. But I live in the county.

My Son and Daughter, both went to public schools. My son finished 7th in the class, and received scholarship to UT. My Daughter was Valedictorian, and received scholarship to any where she wanted to go. She took Memphis. Both were in the Governor’s school program, and in the gifted program.
    To Tank. I live here on Long Island my house is appx 2,000 sqft and valued at $550,000 and taxes are approx $12-14 K.

Your kids must take after your wifes side of the family. J/K

Southern KY is beautiful too, Nice thing about that part of the country is TN is gun friendly, and winter is over and they are planting by the end of Feb...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I live in the country, about an hour north of Memphis. It's nice and quiet here. Lot's of deer and wild turkeys...fishings good. I wouldn't recommend Memphis proper, from what I've seen of it, but I'm sure that is has some nice parts ,and some bad parts, like any other big city.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I live in the country, about an hour north of Memphis. It's nice and quiet here. Lot's of deer and wild turkeys...fishings good. I wouldn't recommend Memphis proper, from what I've seen of it, but I'm sure that is has some nice parts ,and some bad parts, like any other big city.
    I hear ya PNUT! I'm not really a city boy by any means. The country suits me just fine. I was raised in the country and would really like to raise my kids the same way.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

I spent two years living in East Tennessee in the late 80's. It is a great place to retire, but tough to make out a living there. Wages are low. Benefits for most workers in small businesses are rare. Schools were not great. Like every place, there is good and bad. We eventually moved and went to New Hampshire - where we lived in the country [nearest mall was 80 miles away] and make out okay.

If I could live anywhere I wanted, it would probably be someplace in the northwest...like Idaho.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Tennessee is a good place to live. We're not taxed to death, no toll roads, no state income tax. Lots of good manufacturing jobs around - but the economy has hit everyone hard. There are lots of health care/hospital companies headquartered in the Middle Tennessee area. The knoxville/Chattanooga corrider is beautiful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links