The new job has some crappy rules!

This is a discussion on The new job has some crappy rules! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, week one of the new job is almost in the bag. I have not had my orientation yet, but I got hold of a ...

Well, week one of the new job is almost in the bag. I have not had my orientation yet, but I got hold of a copy of the employee handbook and started reading.

Guess what is listed in it? Not only does it specify no handguns, it goes so far as to say "even if you are licensed through the Texas Concealed Handgun License program." There is also a spot in there about other weapons being forbidden, but it says that a small knife is allowed for the purposes of opening materials for daily work performed.

There is a line about not even allowed in your POV on premises. I am actually ignoring that one. I don't live across the street, therefore I will not be unarmed for my 20 mile drive home through East Plano, Allen and then in to McKinney. Man, I hope TX passes that law that overrides the employer's restriction on parking lot/car carry.

But hey, we are safe here. I pass by 3 unarmed and old security guards every morning and the Police HQ is a mere 10 miles away.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Do you have to sign anything that states that you read the empolyee handbook? If you have not read it how would you know not to carry a firearm?

JD
    Administrator
    Is there a 30.06 sign posted at the building?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I've often thought I would ask to see the employee handbook before accepting a job. At the job I'm at now, we don't have a handbook.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I have thought that since I have not had the official orientation and have not signed the last page that I might try my luck, but TX is a right to work state and either party (me or the company) can come in one day and just say "be gone" and give no reasoning.

The building is not posted with anything, so I guess it is OK for our customers to come in packing but not the employees. Go figure.

I thought about checking to see if they have any rules before coming on board, but to be honest I wanted out of where I was bad enough to willingly take the risk of having my handgun in the parking lot and not on me during the day. I still have my Paraframe, SOG Flash II, Mont Blanc pen, and my noggin. There are plenty of fire extinguishers, chairs, books, and small Engineers that I can throw at a BG if one makes it in here.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    small engineers would probably be my first choice. They are usually soft and squishy so they don't stop bullets well unless hit in the procket protector.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

If the job is important enough, and I assume it is...I would not carry (common sense)...and, I wouldn't ask about it. No sense in making anyone aware of your pro-gun stance. That way it can be locked in your car and no one will even think about the possibility that, "That gun nut probably keeps a gun in his car!" OMOYMV

Enjoy the job!

Stay armed...stay quiet...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I agree with ret, now is the perfect time to practice the gray man. If I remember right, this job pays better etc., so take their money and buy some more guns. Maybe a pocket wonder like a P32/AT.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I sympathize; I'm in the same situation - I work at a community college in TN. I can't leave a gun in my car under any conditions - can't so much as have it on the property. And yeah, I've got a 16 mile drive to and from, and two night classes a week (read after dark travel). I ain't happy about that.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

That sucks man, what do they consider a "small" knife?
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by HKkid View Post
    That sucks man, what do they consider a "small" knife?
    Since I carry a Paraframe and a SOG Flash II, I'm not asking. I'll assume they want me to determine the meaning of "small" and since I own a KaBar and some other "survival" knives, I consider my EDC knives small in comparison

-Paco

I agree with sixto and retsupt...be very SA and leave it in your car or trya pocket piece and TELL NOBODY. Cant fire ya if ur dead.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links