Two interesting observations from a week in Chicago

This is a discussion on Two interesting observations from a week in Chicago within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I happen to have the local evening news on this week while in Chicago and the station did a poll in relation to a story ...

Thread: Two interesting observations from a week in Chicago

Two interesting observations from a week in Chicago

I happen to have the local evening news on this week while in Chicago and the station did a poll in relation to a story related to gun violence and gun laws. I don't remember the exact question but the sense of it was, "Do you think we need more gun laws?" The results were that more than 70% said that more gun laws WOULD NOT help. WOW! I figured Chicago being what it was it would be the other way around.

Secondly, I was shocked at how many local law enforcement were carrying what looked to be older S&W model 19's. Every one of the officers I saw carrying them looked to be in their 50's or older. On the other end of the spectrum I did see a younger guy with a stainless 1911...probably a Para LDA.

Anywho...just thought I would share!

2. Remove Ads

Well the cops and politicians carry guns...have to be able to protect yourself, you know.

It's the peasants who shouldn't be allowed to have guns, especially when all you have to do is dial 911...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Interesting, thanks.

VIP Member
    Nothing really surprising about the results of the poll. What the people think is hardly ever what the politicians feel in their all knowing mind is good for the people.

I bet there are more in areas like this, you know the ones who actually live in the neighborhoods, who see that the politics of gun control DON'T work.

The problem is getting that to the politicians who don't actually live there and are in their beltway cocoon.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    I happen to have the local evening news on this week while in Chicago and the station did a poll in relation to a story related to gun violence and gun laws. I don't remember the exact question but the sense of it was, "Do you think we need more gun laws?" The results were that more than 70% said that more gun laws WOULD NOT help. WOW! I figured Chicago being what it was it would be the other way around.
    I lived there for almost 8 years and it was the worst 8 years of my life! That poll is most likely right on. The people of IL would love to defend themselves, believe me! The local gov't and senate have a tight stranglehold on IL. It's the worst state for the most ridiculous gun laws I have ever seen. We move here to FL 9 years ago and never looked back!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

I surprised at those poll results too. Its bad enough to live in a large city like that but no CPL either..sheeesh...
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

I though Illinois had no ccw at all for the normal citizen,but was told by someone who used to live there that he had a license to carry. he said it was a special permit only given to retired LEO's and he had one because he was a licensed private investigator. Anyone know if theres any truth to this at all?

Chicago was my home in my younger days, then I joined the the worlds greatest (USMC), if not for family ties I would of never went back! Only good things are the CUBs, BEARs, Chicago redhots, Chicago Pizza, and Old Style Beer!

R/S Lego

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSGTLEGO View Post
    Chicago was my home in my younger days, then I joined the the worlds greatest (USMC), if not for family ties I would of never went back! Only good things are the CUBs, BEARs, Chicago redhots, Chicago Pizza, and Old Style Beer!
    +10 on the pizza.

Best Pizza in the World Shipped to Your Door

But on a serious note, why do people keep re-electing these idiots??
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The weather is horrible there and make everyone REAL moody. I wouldn't give anyone a firearm there either.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    The weather is horrible there and make everyone REAL moody. I wouldn't give anyone a firearm there either.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I though Illinois had no ccw at all for the normal citizen,but was told by someone who used to live there that he had a license to carry. he said it was a special permit only given to retired LEO's and he had one because he was a licensed private investigator. Anyone know if theres any truth to this at all?
    The CC by Retired LEOs is a Federal law, thus it overrules the state laws. As to the PI thing no clue. A Retired LEO can carry in Cali, or Illinois. They are the exception to those states limited or No CC laws.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links