Anyone here a VA Police Officer?

This is a discussion on Anyone here a VA Police Officer? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Veterans Administration Police Officer? I'm interviewing for a position with the VA for Police Officer this coming Monday and am curious if anyone on this ...

Thread: Anyone here a VA Police Officer?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Veterans Administration Police Officer?

I'm interviewing for a position with the VA for Police Officer this coming Monday and am curious if anyone on this forum already does that....
    For God, Family and Country!

I honestly didn't know the VA had their own police force. What exactly would you be doing?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Well, The ones I know of work VA Medical Hospitals, Facilities and Clinics.
    Biloxi, MS VA Hospital has their complete PD Force & Police Chief. For where I live I'm trying for the Mobile, AL VA Medical Clinic that comes under the Biloxi, MS Command.
    Kinda like an MP Counterpart for the prior/retired military community while on VA Property.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Biloxi, MS VA Hospital has their complete PD Force & Police Chief. For where I live I'm trying for the Mobile, AL VA Medical Clinic that comes under the Biloxi, MS Command.
    Kinda like an MP Counterpart for the prior/retired military community while on VA Property.
    Yep. I know a couple.

Full blown Federal LEOs.

Up-graded from security officers to full police powers, a while back.

However, a lot of door lock checking, and other related security officers type duties still performed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

DaveH; Any of them on this forum?

VIP Member
    DaveH; Any of them on this forum?
    Not that I am aware.

Doubt it. Then with the screen names, who knows.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    In my opinion, VA Police can be what you make of it. They are all armed now, which is a relatively recent change. Authority is limited to VA Property, by statute. Primarily force protection/property security work, but anything can happen. Mississippi is a good example. Several years ago, a VA Doctor was shot and killed at the VA Hospital in Jackson. VA Police at the Jackson facility have been in a couple of shootings in recent years.

The biggest "downside", in my opinion, is that they run their own, shortened police academy, instead of sending their Officers to FLETC. As a result, their training is not recognized by any other agencies.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Gonzo; Dunno about how it worked in the past but requirements now - for the one posted I'm trying for - is that you are a Veteran of course and also either had been an MP or a Police Officer for at least a year before being eligible - which means having finished either the Military Police Academy or a Police Academy.

Gonzo; Dunno about how it worked in the past but requirements now - for the one posted I'm trying for - is that you are a Veteran of course and also either had been an MP or a Police Officer for at least a year before being eligible - which means having finished either the Military Police Academy or a Police Academy.
    Best of luck to you.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    ...Full blown Federal LEOs.
    Up-graded from security officers to full police powers, a while back. ...
    They may call themselves law enforcement officers, but they're really "federal agents", since the United States has no authority for law enforcement, a power reserved exclusively to the states. All federal "law enforcement officers" are limited to the exercise of power only in the United States, i.e., within the District of Columbia, in federal facilities (whether owned or leased), in federal territories, and on federal reservations. For example, in post offices, the U.S. Capitol, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and in the George Washington National Forest.

That's why they have to have a local LEO with them when they want to execute a warrant.

So I'm thinking that within a VA hospital, these guys are pretty much security guards, though with arrest powers as long as they stay in the U.S. (as opposed to being in the state in which the hospital is located).
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    They may call themselves law enforcement officers, but they're really "federal agents", since the United States has no authority for law enforcement, a power reserved exclusively to the states. All federal "law enforcement officers" are limited to the exercise of power only in the United States, i.e., within the District of Columbia, in federal facilities (whether owned or leased), in federal territories, and on federal reservations. For example, in post offices, the U.S. Capitol, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and in the George Washington National Forest.

That's why they have to have a local LEO with them when they want to execute a warrant.

So I'm thinking that within a VA hospital, these guys are pretty much security guards, though with arrest powers as long as they stay in the U.S. (as opposed to being in the state in which the hospital is located).
    This is not correct. Federal Law Enforcement, most of them anyway, have the ability to execute federal warrants without having local law enforcement present.

In addition, many states (Indiana for example) also give certain federal agents power to enforce state laws in their criminal statutes as well.
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post

You are incorrect, sir. Most federal Agents/Officers are not required to have a local law enforcement officer with them when they serve arrest/search warrants. It is often a wise idea, but not a legal requirement. And, as has just been pointed out, many states grant peace officer/police officer status to certain federal officers and agents.

VA Police are a slightly different case. Their authority is restricted, by statute, to VA property (with the exception of some personnel who work out of their DC office). However, on the property, they are "police" in every sense of the word. They can write you a traffic ticket or arrest you, for federal or state offenses.
    Gonzo

Official Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, a VA Police Officer. :c)
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

That experience requirement is not uncommon for VA Police. Partially because they send you to a shortened academy. They are relying on hiring folks who have some experience to begin with. Like I said, it should be what you make of it. Some facilities are busy, some not so much. Definitely some static security posts invovled, but not all the time.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Well, yeah, I was talking about when the Constitution was still being given effect. The fact that they have the raw power to do what they do doesn't make it legal. However, the reference to Indiana law is a good one - Virginia has a similar provision, making federal agents working for specific departments, authorized to engage in law enforcement as and for the Commonwealth, which makes it a lawful execution of a warrant.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Sponsored Links