Spike: Deadliest Warrior

This is a discussion on Spike: Deadliest Warrior within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came home last night and this new series was on Spike. I thought this was pretty interesting since some friends and I were discussing ...

Thread: Spike: Deadliest Warrior

Spike: Deadliest Warrior

I came home last night and this new series was on Spike. I thought this was pretty interesting since some friends and I were discussing who would win if ancient China were to go to war against ancient Rome last week.

In this series, they pit a warrior from one period against one from another; the one I saw was Viking vs. Samurai.

It’s pretty cool how they do it in a “CSI” type way by using skeletons covered with ballistic gelatin to show the effects of their various weapons on a human body as well as measuring the force via computer. They even had 4 pig carcasses stacked up and the Samurai Katana went through 2.5 of them like a hot knife through butter. They looked at the brute strength and size of the Viking as opposed to the smaller, but more cunning Samurai and in the end it was concluded that the Samurai would have taken out the Viking.

Each week on Deadliest Warrior, a new episode will pit two of the most feared warriors civilization has ever known against each other. Along with the use of 21st century science and the latest in CGI technology, each episode enlists warrior-specific world-class fighters and experts to provide insight into what makes these combatants tick, analyzing every facet of their unique skills of destruction, culminating in a head-to-head final fight between two legends of the battlefield that will produce the deadliest warrior. Other highly-anticipated showdowns this season include: Pirate vs. Knight, Taliban vs. IRA, Yakuza vs. Mafia, Viking vs. Samurai, Green Beret vs. Spetznaz, Maori vs. Shaolin Monks, William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu and Ninja vs. Spartan.

Deadliest Warrior
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

So many people don't like this concept, so I never mentioned it here, but here the ice has been broken.

I love this show, so far I am 2-1, maybe it's cause I'm a history geek and I love this sort of stuff, but me and other history majors sit around cheering and making wagers and such. It was awesome!

That being said, you can make for some GREAT debates pitting different warring civilizations against each other.

The current one on campus that nobody can come to a conclusion with is Ghengis Khan vs. Hannibal!
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Pirate vs. knight? That should last all of 3 seconds...unless the pirate has firearms.

Green Beret vs. Spetznaz, hmm. Do they go at it unarmed? If so, zee Russian vins.

Taliban vs. IRA, that's interesting.

Spartan vs. Ninja, in open battle, I'm betting on the Spartan.

They should do a show with a 'three-way'...a Viking, a Sumurai, and my mother-in-law......those two fellas would be doomed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Pirate Vs Knight, now heres the rub on that one. Depends on what time of armor for the knight. Knights later on had bullet proof armor. Basically put Im putting my money on the knight if fully armored.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The finest swordsmen that ever lived were Samurai. It didn't hurt that they had a multilayered sword that could cut through just about anything. They were also superbly trained in the bow and other martial arts. Glad Japanese society had partially relegated the Samurai to obscurity. The Japanese were a big enough problem as they were in WWII. Only our great GI's, our production/manufacuring capabilites and the A Bomb could have stopped them.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    .........and my mother-in-law......
    Ya'll owe me a new keyboard with that one!

Comanche versus Viking?

The first episode I saw pitted Apache against Gladiator. Apache won.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I've seen 3 episodes and liked all of them. Its a neat show but, not for everyone.
    God Bless America!!

Already saw how the Somilia Pirate and the SeAL turned out.

I'm setting the tivo for the series.....sounds very intresting.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I favor medieval knights, but the samurai is the undisputed champion of the blade.

What day does that show come on? Sounds like my kind of show.

Is there any way to watch these online?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They should do a show with a 'three-way'...a Viking, a Sumurai, and my mother-in-law......those two fellas would be doomed...
    LOL. i think they were trying to keep it to a relatively fair fight.

Links