Constitution free zone...

Constitution free zone...

This is a discussion on Constitution free zone... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 100 miles and they have authority to violate the US constitution, now I do not like the ACLU but... Border Patrol (100 miles from the ...

Thread: Constitution free zone...

Exclamation Constitution free zone...

100 miles and they have authority to violate the US constitution, now I do not like the ACLU but...
    Border Patrol (100 miles from the border)

It seems that Johnson's participation in the anti-fence demonstration may have landed him on a government watch list that has inhibited his ability to travel freely between the US and Mexico. A professor of Music, Johnson said he traveled to Tijuana about a week after the protest; upon returning to the US, Johnson says he was handcuffed and arrested by customs agents after a listing associated with his name pegged him as armed and dangerous.

"I was thoroughly and aggressively searched. ... Every inch and crack and crevice of my body was poked and prodded," Johnson said. "I was in complete bewilderment of what was going on; I felt violated and frankly was embarrassed."

Prior to that visit, Johnson said he had traveled regularly between the US and Mexico for a variety of reasons without facing any harassment. After the June visit, Johnson said he did not cross the border again until October, when he decided to go simply to see whether he could re-enter the country easily. He was subjected to the same harassment.

"It took me four months to return to Mexico," he said. "Not because I'm afraid of traveling outside my own country, but rather because I'm afraid of returning home."

Johnson spoke Wednesday at a gathering organized by the American Civil Liberties Union, which is highlighting the extent to which the Department of Homeland Security is expanding the authority it claims at US border crossings to infringe upon Americans rights.

The ACLU says a "Constitution-free zone" exists within 100 miles of the US border, where DHS claims the authority to stop, search and detain anyone for any reason. Nearly two-thirds of the US population lives within 100 miles of the border, according to the ACLU, and the border zone encompasses scores of major metropolitan areas and even entire states.
    Customs and Border Patrol, a component of DHS, was authorized by Congress to operate within a "reasonable" distance of the border, and that distance has been set at 100 miles in regulations governing CBP, the ACLU says. The authorization has been in place for decades, but complaints about abuses of the extended border zone began to ramp up as CBP was expanded and folded into DHS after 9/11.

Also of concern, according to the group, is the border patrol's use of massive databases and watch lists to screen travelers. Much remains unknown about how those lists are compiled and it is exceedingly difficult for a person to be removed from the list once he or she is added to it.

ACLU affiliates around the country have fielded dozens of calls from people claiming they were harassed by border agents, and the group believes there are untold numbers of other victims who are afraid to come forward.

No lawsuits have yet been filed against DHS or CBP, but the ACLU says its attorneys in border states are preparing cases.

"Part of what we're trying to do is to draw our own line in the sand here and say this has to stop," Barry Steinhardt, director of the ACLU's Technology and Liberty Program, said Wednesday. "We cannot determine two-thirds of America as a Constitution free zone."

DHS 33 "interior checkpoints" that are monitored by the border patrol, according to a 2005 Government Accountability Office report. The ACLU assumes more checkpoints have been established since then, and group affiliates have complained about checkpoints as far as 93 miles from the border.

ACLU lobbyists are working with members of Congress to rein in DHS's border authority. Caroline Fredrickson, the group's chief legislative counsel, praised a measure introduced by Sen. Russ Feingold and others to ban suspicionless laptop searches at the border.

"We need to restore the Constitution to the Constitution-free zone," Fredrickson said.

Wednesday's event also featured a video testimonial from Vince Peppard, another San Diegoan who faced trouble from border agents. Peppard said he was stopped at least 20 miles inside the border on a return trip from Mexico. He refused to open his trunk "on a matter of principle" and was detained for about 30 minutes.

"I didn't feel like I was in the United States," he says. "I felt like I was in some kind of police state."
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Gotta love the GunShine State, but the whole place is a 'Constitutition Free Zone'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sure this has been passed around but its about the pastor beat up by Border Patrol for not allowing a search of his vehicle.

Baptist Pastor Tased and Beaten by Border Patrol
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Gotta love the GunShine State, but the whole place is a 'Constitutition Free Zone'...
    Maine too.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Maine too.
    And NH.

This is nuts, I don't like it at all. I can see a mile or two but 100 ? Nope.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the article. A commie organization, ACLU subverts laws of their choosing and wants the government to ignore whatever laws that meet their agenda.
    Washington D.C. has lost sight of the meaning of our Constitution. This, I believe, is part of what the TEA Parties is addressing. It's not just taxes, but our National Sovereignity and the power hungry menace that our Federal Government has become.
    As far as I'm concerned, if Mr. Johnson is afraid of returning to his home country, he should just stay in Mexico.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    The ACLU is an anti-American organization. They constantly attack America and defend our enemies.

The Border Patrol does an heroic job with limited budget. Those that whine about Constitutional rights being violated do not live in the border states that see illegals infiltrate our borders, kill our citizens, transport drugs and humans and cause crime among US citizens.

And someone whines because they were delayed for 30 minutes because they were uncooperative? What a bunch of ignorant buffoons.

The initial assertion that the US Constitution is being violated is sheer and utter nonsense. No one's rights are being violated. I am amazed at the lack of understanding exhibited with such bizarre and unsubstantiated claims.

Congratulations to the Border Patrol. It is difficult enough to perform their jobs when they have our support. When some Americans (liberals and libertarians again) start attacking those who protect us with their bogus claims of rights violations then our job becomes more difficult and the enemy gains an even stronger foothold.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The ACLU is an anti-American organization. They constantly attack America and defend our enemies.

The Border Patrol does an heroic job with limited budget. Those that whine about Constitutional rights being violated do not live in the border states that see illegals infiltrate our borders, kill our citizens, transport drugs and humans and cause crime among US citizens.

And someone whines because they were delayed for 30 minutes because they were uncooperative? What a bunch of ignorant buffoons.

The initial assertion that the US Constitution is being violated is sheer and utter nonsense. No one's rights are being violated. I am amazed at the lack of understanding exhibited with such bizarre and unsubstantiated claims.

Congratulations to the Border Patrol. It is difficult enough to perform their jobs when they have our support. When some Americans (liberals and libertarians again) start attacking those who protect us with their bogus claims of rights violations then our job becomes more difficult and the enemy gains an even stronger foothold.
    Thanks for the clarification.

However..

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Since reading the Pastor tazed and the associated story with this one the ability for abuse is there, and a very direct possibility.... All it takes is one bad apple.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Since reading the Pastor tazed and the associated story with this one the ability for abuse is there, and a very direct possibility.... All it takes is one bad apple.....
    True...

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The BP does indeed have a tough job. My appreciation and sympathy for their hard work, though sincere, is woefully insufficient to make me willingly give up my rights. End of story.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    The BP does indeed have a tough job. My appreciation and sympathy for their hard work, though sincere, is woefully insufficient to make me willingly give up my rights. End of story.
    What rights do you think you are being asked to give up?

Links