Real guard dogs. You have one?

This is a discussion on Real guard dogs. You have one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading the post about the gentleman that was bitten and it led me to the top ten most feared breeds . I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real guard dogs. You have one?

I was reading the post about the gentleman that was bitten and it led me to the top ten most feared breeds . I was a little shocked that my favorite breed had made the list . Presa Canario . The pics they have there are pretty lame . Red Star kennel has some of the best available and thats where I got my boy. He is personal protection trained . Raised with kids , grandmas , granpas and a cat that seems to have a death wish and likes to hisss and bat him one every now and again ( he wags his tail in response). He Loves his family . He likes to nip my ears when we play .Best most loveing dog I have ever had. Make no mistake , Iam fully aware of what he is capable of. I held the leash when we did the bite work . Powerful , in a word .

I think that that list is a little misleading . ANY dog can be dangerous.
    I also think that by doing your homework on breeders, lineage of your dog and etc you are makeing the best guess on recieveing a more stable animal than those who get dogs from rescues and shelters.

I take precuations. Their is a formal introduction of vistors.If he doesnt know you, dont horse play with the kids or raise a hand even in jest, to myself or my gal . Dont try and test that recommendation just to" see" what happens. Im not trying to scare the visitors , but its like handing someone a a pistol , I check the chamber for them . For My safety . I pretty much know how Im gonna act and how my dog is gonna act, visitor is the unknown . Dogs for some reason freak some folks out . After he gets to know you, he will plant his rear on your foot and expect to be petted till he tires of it and it lulls him to sleep.

anybody else have one ?

Three "Alarm" dogs which are intimidating to most. A Flop eared Doberman (A "Doberlady"), a German Shepard Dog, and a new pup, a Border Collie/Shepard mix.

Never owned an attack dog tho, although ours have a very high degree of protectiveness.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I have a rottweiler, he's 145lbs heavier now than in the avatar and very muscular. Although he is a big baby he is very protective when he is in my truck and with strangers at home. If he knows you he will drive you crazy for attention and to play.

I have seen him bite through a 2'' diameter stick with no problemo. If he is way out in the back yard and spots you coming in the driveway he takes off on a dead run towards you, jaws flapping eyes locked dead on. Pretty scary but when he gets to you he comes to a halt and expects or should I say demands to be petted.

He also will sit on your foot like yours until he has had enough attention.
    He's a big baby but I pity the fool who trys to harm my wife or I.

Do you have any pics of your dog, they are awesome dogs. There is another member here who has one and posted pics in another thread.
    Last edited by rottkeeper; April 27th, 2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Add last line
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Yes, I have a dog that is very good at guarding and takes it very seriously. I wish he'd tone it down some to be honest. I just need him to bark, not try to kill people.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I have a big Black Lab with some real bass in his voice, and he goes off when someone knocks of if he sees someone walk by, so he serves as a very loud deterrent to the faint-hearted... but I think if someone approached him with a cheerful "good boy" tone, he'd roll right over... he's too friendly and goofy...

He's an especially big mark for girls... a female burglar with a cookie would probably have no problems at all... LOL
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

This is "Liberty"
    Attached Images
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Guard? Yes. Three now. A Great Dane (36", 153 lbs) pup, a Spanish Mastiff/Rottweiler mix, and our new foster, a fun-sized Rottie. The Dane is a giant wuss, he will dive behind my legs and shake and cry if you give him the stink-eye. But he is an incredible Therapy dog, and did brilliantly this weekend with an autistic girl (who bit him). The Rott mix is wonderful as a guard and has done SOME protection training, but failed bitework as a young'un. Since then, we have worked with her and she has amazing bite inhibition, she's great around kids, just like the Dane. The new foster Rott -- he needs work. He's got a fantastic "alarm" system, but almost attacked my husband when he snuck into the bedroom at 4am the other night.

I wouldn't break into my house.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Here's my Presa Canario. Her name is Luna. She is sweet with family and friends but does not like uninvited strangers or other dogs/cats/squirrels/ground hogs/anything that moves. She came from D&G Kennels Presa Canario / Dogo Canario (Sire: Champion of Spain Indio Dam: Merile de Los Cardones)and is very easy to live with. Smart, clean and protective. (She's thickened up a little since these pics were taken last summer. Still lean & mean but a little more filled out in the cranium and chest)

With her sister...

Her softer lazier side...

She loves that Shar Pei to death. In fact one time at our local dog park area she would have killed the dog that went after Liza (Shar Pei) if I didn't have her on the leash. It would have been a straight up blood bath. The owner saw what was in store for their misbehaving dog and got out of there quickly.

Motorhed66 where are your pics?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    OMG, Siafu, they're gorgeous! We saw two stunning Presas at Bark In The Park this past Saturday. They were just big ol'e lovebugs, I totally wanted to take one home :)

I like a mixed breed dog. The best mix I have found, is a Black Lab / German Shepherd. Here is my girl Daisy. She is a rescue dog.

She weighs about 65 lbs, and is about the smartest dog I have ever owned.

Not real aggressive, but you would not know it by her actions, she sure makes a lot of noise when someone is comming down my drive.......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I have a german shepherd dog - working lines imported from Slovakia. We do Schutzhund. She is very playful until I tell her not to be.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

I have a rescued Pitbull that I've managed to greatly retrain over the last few years. She's quite possibly the best dog I've had since my Norwegian Elkhound/siberian husky mix died.

I work with her daily on interactions with people and other animals and she knows her place in guarding the home and family quite well. On more than one occasion she's stepped up to the plate.

A good one we used to do is the house perimeter search. When she hears something outside and it has her attention, I would take her out and make her walk the perimeter of the house in search/guard mode and giving her the command to search.

Now that she has the hang of it and I'm confident she's not going to attack the wrong thing without warning, I make her do it for real. Whenever we're home and something gets to her to the point that it actually makes her growl or even bark(which is rare) I slap on her remote collar, open the door and tell her to search. She will dutifully walk the perimeter of the house full circle back to the front door. I figure, if I hear the sky falling after letting her out, then it's time to get the big guns out.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

alas Im computer challenged and have no good pics of my boy.Execllent pics of Luna! If anyone chooses to go by the Red star site and goes through the photos of their dogs past and present...Cotan and Cheetah are his parents...he looks alot like his mom. Love Presas! I also have a American bulldog female (Hellga) 95 percent johnson dog...I love her but she isnt the dog Lemmy is.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Thanks for all the compliments. I will be taking new photos of Luna and Liza now that the winter and soggy spring has given way to warm summery days.

Nice dogs, Siafu! Lots of muscle there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links