Trapped in the web of idiocy

This is a discussion on Trapped in the web of idiocy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; RANT DISCLAIMER: I AM JUST TICKED OFF AND I MIGHT NOT MAKE SENSE! I have to send my Taurus to be fixed for a minor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapped in the web of idiocy

VIP Member

Angry Trapped in the web of idiocy

RANT DISCLAIMER: I AM JUST TICKED OFF AND I MIGHT NOT MAKE SENSE!

I have to send my Taurus to be fixed for a minor thing and I do what I have always done: Fill the form provided by Taurus, pack my gun really good and go to the UPS Store as usual to ship it. Taurus USA is 2.5 miles from my house, but you know those damn pesky laws and whatnots so I can't just get in my car and drop it like any other product..nooooooooooo that would make sense. I get to the UPS store, fill my form and declare that I am sending a firearm and want insurance.... "No sir you can't" Although I explain that I have sent firearms before from that location to Taurus, I think to myself "maybe they have changed policy" so I don't get upset about it. The clerk was polite and kind enough to call the company to confirm and here is where I blow a gasket. First she gets told that UPS only ship firearms from FFL to FFL. I said "Baloney, tell him to read again the damn rules." Next comes confirmation that UPS Stores do not accept firearms, OK, I can deal with that.
    "So if I open an account can I send it from the confort of my house?"
    "Only if you schedule Daily pick ups."
    "But I don't need daily pick ups, maybe once a month if I push it."
    "Sorry sir, no can do."
    "OK, so Where can I go to to ship my gun?"
    "To a UPS Customer Center and the clerk will provide you with the address. Sir, what are you shipping?"
    "A pistol."
    "Oh I am sorry, we don't ship automatics."
    "What?"
    "Yes sir, we don't ship automatics."
    "Wait a minute here, I think you might be confusing terms. I think you mean automatics as in machine guns, not a semi automatic handgun. You know what, forget it."

Next comes the address of the "nearest" UPS Customer Center...which happens to be 7 and 3/4 miles from my house.... or I can go to my nearest FFL dealer who is 6 miles from my place and pay extra for the effort.

So, in order to send a package 2.5 miles I must drive 15 miles. And some moron "upgraded" my semi automatic pistol to a deadly machine gun in a blink of idiocy.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

PS: love the rant smiley.....!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    That sucks, hope your day gets better!
    Curry

Administrator
    So...we can all go to any UPS location and get an Instant "Semi~Auto To Fully Automatic" Conversion??

Lead Moderator
    Sure hope your day improves, it seems that it sure had a crappy start!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Does Taurus require UPS?

I use a USPS Fixed Rate box 2-3 day priority for $8 or so. No hassles, no nothing. When they ask if anything is "Hazardous or flammable" I can honestly answer "No". The trigger is locked, gun totally unloaded.

I feel for you. Nothing vapor locks me more than insanity and bureauracy combined with highly dense brain matter.

VIP Member
    I'm lucky when it comes to shipping firearms...there is a Fed-EX express store 2 miles from my apartment, and they don't seem to have a problem sending guns to factory repair centers.

There is a UPS store 200 yards from my apartment...I wouldn't waste my time (or money) there
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Does Taurus require UPS?
    I use a USPS Fixed Rate box 2-3 day priority for $8 or so.
    Rock and Glock, I thought shipping firearms through the USPS was strictly verbotten...as in Federal crime time...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

As long as the gun is not crossing state lines why can't you just drop the damn thing off at Taurus if they are only 2.5 miles away?

Is that some sort of law or is it just Taurus' policy?

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - USPS is fine - if dealer ships to dealer - my guy has done it for me a good few times... handgun as well as longarm.

Miggy - I share your angst - 2 weeks ago shipped a rifle (I am selling one or two longarms for a bike buddy with no puter). It went from me to another state FFL - girl I spoke to said she'd have to check - came back said Ok - done deal. $17.29 incl some insurance.

Last Friday - shotgun (old pump) ready to ship to guy in OH - called UPS - young guy, pleasant - says he must check. Comes back - no dice. WTH? He said policy says FFL to FFL - not even private guy to FFL for longarms, which I had anyways always thought was good.

No point arguing so time and gas Monday - took it my local guy who did priority from PO - got there in a day!!! Plus just under $10. Not bad actually.

But it does P me off how the lack of uniformity over what can and can't be done is played out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep thats a problem when its not really clear if the mini stores cant do it what good are they ..

I don't understand why you cant drop off either

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Last Friday - shotgun (old pump) ready to ship to guy in OH - called UPS - young guy, pleasant - says he must check. Comes back - no dice. WTH? He said policy says FFL to FFL - not even private guy to FFL for longarms, which I had anyways always thought was good.
    From the UPS website:

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
    And that is what tickes me off even more, their own customer reps do not even have the forethought to READ their own policies.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

What a way to start the day off! Seems like one of those situations when common sense just doesn't apply! I'd rant too!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VIP Member
    Update: I finally had the chance to ship my gun. I went to the UPS service center and it turned out great. Three ladies taking care of the place and they had a non-stop banter session with the customers which gave the place an atmosphere of friendliness. No forms to fill by hand, you get a computer terminal and print a small label that has all the coded info and then take it to a cashier who finalizes the transaction. When asked what was in the box, I said a gun and waited for the standard grimace but the lady just asked me if it was going to a licensed dealer or a company. I was amazed and happy about her attitude and before I could answer she saw the address, noticed it was going to the factory and she just said "Oh good!" I paid and left feeling pretty good about the whole thing. So kudos to the Ladies in the UPS Customer Center in Hialeah.
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Does Taurus require UPS?

I use a USPS Fixed Rate box 2-3 day priority for $8 or so. No hassles, no nothing. When they ask if anything is "Hazardous or flammable" I can honestly answer "No". The trigger is locked, gun totally unloaded.

I feel for you. Nothing vapor locks me more than insanity and bureauracy combined with highly dense brain matter.
    R&G, just for your information you are breaking the law when shipping a handgun through USPS and NOT an FFL. You should really look into that. It is a No, No. That's honestly a trip to the slammer and legal problems if you are found out and or caught.

I use Fed-Ex and have not had a problem, they know what they are doing for the most part. I never use UPS for guns because of things like what happend this morning to Miggy. Also only UPS or Fed-Ex hub locations will accept a firearm.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    R&G, just for your information you are breaking the law when shipping a handgun through USPS and NOT an FFL.
    You, Sir, are exactly correct. I read the USPS regulations and agree totally. USPS to/from FFL's ONLY. Good thing I looked at all of this BEFORE I delivered it!

Thank you!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 8th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links